Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English P2 Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

How are people managing to have written 5, 6 and 7 pages for essays!? I wrote 3.75, 3.5 and 3 for my three essays (Ok I know 3 was quite short for a comparative but anyway) and I didn't think they were particularly short.... I always blamed it on my writing being small (about 10-12 words per line) but now I'm not so sure.... :(

countdown 306 says 900 - 1000 words for comparative

at 10 - 12 words per line you must be fitting in 300 words per page so you are spot on

well dun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Grand paper really, not easy but veru doable.

I thought the Unseen Poetry was a bit weird? :confused: Anyone else find it difficult to answer? I normally get my 20/20 but I just seemed to find it really tough to pick stuff out.

Did Keats for my Poetry(hadn't studied anyone else) but found the question tricky, I reckon I lost marks because I basically repeated myself over and over at the end of every paragraph and did go into huge detail despite writing 5 pages, not sure how that happened, I just explained everything too much I think! And this is how we see Keats dealing with abstract topics with a clear and direct style through the use of xyz to explain abc and make def understandable and appealing(if ya get me). Not great really. :(

Did the second Macbeth question and basically did the exact same answer as the last poster who said it minus the light/darkness imagery, I even forgot pathetic fallacy too! I think I wrote about 4 and a half pages, I just felt I didn't have anything else to add.

Comparative was probably the best of the lot. I did the second question broken into two parts. I did The Curious Incident for the first part and Philadelphia and Cinema Paradiso for the seond. Wrote about 6 and a half pages altogether. It seemed a pretty good answer as far as I could tell.

Overall I'm not thrilled, but I was never great at Paper 2 anyway(never gotten above a B1 in any section of it, but then my teacher does mark hard). If my examiner doesn't have a sense of humour about my Paper 1 then I'm in trouble, I need English for points!! :( Hoping for a B1 overall.....Please...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

graaand paper....better than the original me thinks!

Macbeth first q was perfect, i always hated comparative in general so didnt make much difference but cc was ok, and then the lovely montague =) all the poets i had studied came up....loves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Blue_Rose wrote: »
    The poetry questions were so hard! Especially Keats and Walcott the phrasing was terrible!

yeah that's probably exactly what the chief examiner said when he saw the paper and then said 'well what's the chances we are going to be using it anyway'

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Phew! Thanks guys, that's definitely a load off my mind :D
    Overall I'm not thrilled, but I was never great at Paper 2 anyway(never gotten above a B1 in any section of it, but then my teacher does mark hard). If my examiner doesn't have a sense of humour about my Paper 1 then I'm in trouble, I need English for points!! frown.gif Hoping for a B1 overall.....Please...............

I know how you feel! My teacher's the exact same.... and keeps telling me my work is "A material" but gives me a B. *sigh* teachers eh? :confused::P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 scarra17

Wednesday night, I had left it till 7 o clock to even begin my thoughts on studyin for pp2 english, when the Text came through of everything on the seen paper.. and news of it being probably cancelled.

If that hadnt happened, i would not under any circumstances done as well as i did today (not saying i did great, but i hopin maybe for a C or better) .

I found myself overly consious of the bishop quote, regarding question, so i kept sayin oh this poem raises the question of blah blah blah.. Was i stupid??

Macbeth (i did the consequence Q) for a girl, who .. didnt know a quote from it on Wednesday, was a delightful experience today. I really can honestly say it was the broadest question ive ever answered to date (and for that matter ever again...wooo:p)...

So weird havin uniform on Saturday!...Does anyone else feel like its Tuesday?

Unseen poem was grand.. If anyone wonderin what the last line was referring to, imo, it was talking about him going backwards in his mentality, or mental age.. going from his elderly age right back to being a child...

Congrads to all ... And best of luck with the rest of the exams..
    only 4 tiny days for me left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Casok

Anyone else just wake up? :p I'm so shattered, nailed the paper though :D:D thought the poetry questions were very specific and was writing right up until the very end (Nothing unusual there though) but apart from that it was a lovely paper :)

Wrote 7 for cultural context conflict q, 5 for Macbeth killing Duncan and 4 for Walcott. Would have written far more for Walcott but for time constraints. Hopefully get my A now :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Casok

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    Taking a huge gamble and only prepared Longley. PLEEEEEEEASE!

Ouch ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

It was an OK paper.:) I had gone over Cultural context and Bishop. I could've done better on the Macbeth question and I didn't get a chance to attempt the unseen poetry. :(

Started with Bishop - 7 pages. Felt it was a good solid answer
    Cultural Context - 5 pages. I felt it was pretty good answer.
    Macbeth - 4 pages. Could have been way better. I had lots to say but little time to say it :mad:
    Unseen poetry - NO MARKS. 20 points gone. :eek: Happened in the mocks also :rolleyes:

Hoping for a nice C. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

WTF how do you all write so much?
    i have fairly average writing and i wrote about 4 pages each for single text and comparative, 3 and a half for prescribed poetry...
    oh well, isnt it better to write less and answer the q as opposed to a load of waffle...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

YAYYY!!! KEATS!!!:D:D:D:D my whole exam centre literally wooped when we opened the paper(the supervisor just laughed:P). was so happy with macbeth and poetry but my comparative let me down a bit I think,,,
    managed to write
    Macbeth 5 and a half
    Comparative 5 and a half
    Prescribed 6 and a half
    Unseen 1 and a half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 seamog

does this answer for walcott make sense?

i wrote he was in inner conflict between his faith, ability to keep relationships and ability to write poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

When I heard what was on first paper(which was all I had covered!), i was a little upset, which I transferred into a very long verbal ribbon of colourful profanities. Went over the poetry of Montague as I am repeating this year and thought he was theonly one they could change(others on last year's paper). Well, I could have kissed that paper today...initially, the question was a bloomin radio talk! I just went ahead and did it throwing in a good opening and closing, am hoping for that elusive A. Loved the unseen poem as my dad passed away some years ago(no dementia). His jacket still hangs in the same place. I think it depends on your experiences as to whether you like a poem, it is easier if you can relate to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I wrote 24 pages- 24.
    And I don't have particularly big writing. My back's actually aching from all the writing, my hand's fine though...

My verdict: Not the fairest paper in the world.
    Yes, poets people had covered like Bishop, keats, ect came up, but the questions themselves were a bitch.

I'm sure this has all been discussed but, quite frankly, I'm not bothered reading back through 18 pages of a thread.

So yeah- Hopefully i got an A. I really don't deserve it though seeing as i didn't actually READ Macbeth or My oedipus Complex... and I may have slightly misinterpreted that Cultural Context question. I was expecting a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

seamog wrote: »

i wrote he was in inner conflict between his faith, ability to keep relationships and ability to write poetry.
    I wrote about colonilism, faith and slavery :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

the faith and the relationships thing def makes sense, I'm not sure about the ability to write poetry but thats probably just because I didn't really study Walcoot in a lot a depth,, he was my backup ........and anyway its poetry....... ANYTHING is relevant if you make it relevant so I'm sure you did grand.:)

haloauto wrote: »
    I wrote about colonilism, faith and slavery :p

at the time i thought it was a solid answer but after listening to Jim Lusby im a bit worried. but i wrote 7 pages and discussed about 5 poems in great detail so i hope im alright

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

bythewoods wrote: »
    I wrote 24 pages- 24.
    And I don't have particularly big writing. My back's actually aching from all the writing, my hand's fine though...

My verdict: Not the fairest paper in the world.
    Yes, poets people had covered like Bishop, keats, ect came up, but the questions themselves were a bitch.

I'm sure this has all been discussed but, quite frankly, I'm not bothered reading back through 18 pages of a thread.

So yeah- Hopefully i got an A. I really don't deserve it though seeing as i didn't actually READ Macbeth or My oedipus Complex... and I may have slightly misinterpreted that Cultural Context question. I was expecting a lot worse.

What so you wrote 8 pages per question and two for the unseen or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

at the time i thought it was a solid answer but after listening to Jim Lusby im a bit worried. but i wrote 7 pages and discussed about 5 poems in great detail so i hope im alright
    You'll do grand. Forget about it now.... throw the books away... /FIN :D

Starting to sweat and freak out now, someone please tell me the way I answered everything was ok :/

• Advertisement

yummy91 wrote: »
    the faith and the relationships thing def makes sense, I'm not sure about the ability to write poetry but thats probably just because I didn't really study Walcoot in a lot a depth,, he was my backup ........and anyway its poetry....... ANYTHING is relevant if you make it relevant so I'm sure you did grand.:)

well i mean, for example, in letters from brooklyn he says the letter returned him to the sacred duty of the word, this being the word of scripture and the written word, ie. literature
    also in pentecost he says says how being at the beach restored his faith in scripture, again double meaning
    By these i mean if he had to have faith restored to the written word it was a result of inner conflict though now i wish id disagreed with the quote

Starting to sweat and freak out now, someone please tell me the way I answered everything was ok :/

Don't worry about it! It's typical to panic straight after an English exam. Most people think they answered this bit wrong or strayed off the topic a little bit here, or made a point that doesn't relate etc. etc. etc. The simple fact is that you did far better than you think. Everyone (at least those who are human) who comes out of an English exam and thinks about what they've written will undoubtedly freak out a little bit.

The examiners know that you're human. They know that you can't stay exactly on topic or answer everything perfectly (whatever perfect really is) when you're writing and concentrating for 200 minutes. It's a tall order. And, it's taken into consideration when they're marking.

Just don't worry about it. Put it behind you. Either way, I've no doubt that you'll be suprised in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Also, people need to remember that the paper will be marked more easily....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

What so you wrote 8 pages per question and two for the unseen or what?

Eh, about 7 for MaccyB and Lizzie and 8 for the Compararitive. 2 for the poem.
    I had waaaaay too much to say.

Don't worry about it! It's typical to panic straight after an English exam. Most people think they answered this bit wrong or strayed off the topic a little bit here, or made a point that doesn't relate etc. etc. etc. The simple fact is that you did far better than you think. Everyone (at least those who are human) who comes out of an English exam and thinks about what they've written will undoubtedly freak out a little bit.

The examiners know that you're human. They know that you can't stay exactly on topic or answer everything perfectly (whatever perfect really is) when you're writing and concentrating for 200 minutes. It's a tall order. And, it's taken into consideration when they're marking.

Just don't worry about it. Put it behind you. Either way, I've no doubt that you'll be suprised in August.

Thanks a lot, I know you're right really, I just keep thinking 'cohesion cohesion cohesion, what was I thinking?!?!' like an utter tool. I just feel like I've been ridiculously lazy and that I'll be really disappointed with my results even if I get my course(450+), because I know I have the potential to have done so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

bythewoods wrote: »
    Eh, about 7 for MaccyB and Lizzie and 8 for the Compararitive. 2 for the poem.
    I had waaaaay too much to say.

They may nail you for clarity though 8 pages is a extraordinary amount for a leaving cert essay.

Thanks a lot, I know you're right really, I just keep thinking 'cohesion cohesion cohesion, what was I thinking?!?!' like an utter tool.

Yah I know what you mean. But, you were probably more cohesive than you think. It's impossible to remember all of your ~3000 written words. The little mistakes that are sticking out in your head only account for a very very small fraction of everything that you've written. They probably wouldn't even be noticable to somebody who wasn't following your line of thought and reasoning; an examiner doesn't analyse what we've written as closely as we were analysing it as we were writing it.
    I just feel like I've been ridiculously lazy and that I'll be really disappointed with my results even if I get my course(450+), because I know I have the potential to have done so much better.

I know the feeling all too well. It's a horrible feeling when you're repeating, too! You'd imagine that doing it again would beat the laziness out of you, but, it doesn't; well, not for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Anyone else fill up the booklet?

I wrote:
    Macbeth 7.5 pages
    Bishop 5 pages
    Comp. 6 pages
    Unseen 1.5 pages
    yup!
    5.5 macbeth
    5.5 comparative
    7.5 Bishop
    2.5 on the unseen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Once you justified it in what you wrote you'll be grand.

• Advertisement

Yah I know what you mean. But, you were probably more cohesive than you think. It's impossible to remember all of your ~3000 written words. The little mistakes that are sticking out in your head only account for a very very small fraction of everything that you've written. They probably wouldn't even be noticable to somebody who wasn't following your line of thought and reasoning; an examiner doesn't analyse what we've written as closely as we were analysing it as we were writing it.

I know the feeling all too well. It's a horrible feeling when you're repeating, too! You'd imagine that doing it again would beat the laziness out of you, but, it doesn't; well, not for me anyway.

Thanks you're making me feel an awful lot better :p

Ugh god repeating would be an absolute NIGHTMARE(sorry, speaking for me personally here, I'm sure you know well whether it is or not!), I just don't think I could do all this again. Plus a lot of the courses change(ew, imagine having to do 8 new Irish honours poems and 10 new pass poems and stories!!). God just thinking about it all now and how traumatic it'd be I really feel for you!

Advertisement