Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Power in Kitchen Sockets

Options
  • 06-06-2009 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I was installing a new washing machine yesterday. It came with no plug so I took a plug off another appliance. The plug I used only had a 3amp fuse and when I switched the washing machine on it must have blown the fuse in that plug. When I realised the error of my ways I replaced the fuse with a 13amp fuse and everything worked with no problems.

However this morning I found that two kitchen sockets have no power. I checked the fuse board for tripped switches but nothing appears to have tripped.

Don't know much about this kind of thing. Hope someone can understand this and please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

is the washing machine still plugged in?
    If so try plugging it out and then try your sockets,
    you might have to much load on the circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shazbot100

Thanks Phenom,

I'm at work now so I'll have to wait until I get home to try your suggestion. What happens if the sockets work when I unplug the washing machine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

Take my advice if your fusebox ain't trippin you have a problem.The fusebox is designed to protect! Get an electrician the or fault may kill you or someone else!. He can test loads etc., Electricity is not an amateur diagnostic job.

Thanks t63m,

I know the dangers. It's just that I'm only using the same socket as where the old washing machine was plugged in. I'm not adding anything extra?

Its nothing to do with extra or less -your socket power is intermediated by your fuse box to protect you.
    A. You have no power in the socket
    B. your fuse box did not trip so therefore although your washing machine may have triggered the problem it has exposed a major potentially lethal fault in your system. This is not a diy job. The advice you get off an amateur off an internet board will very easily put you in a coffin. The problem will have to be physically inspected as there is no other way to identify the fault. It cannot be identified over the internet.
    Get an electrician and have the problem inspected!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

a visit from the 'wiring police' is always welcome

Better than a visit from an undertaker. And while we are on the subject of law this supposed "new" washing machine didn't come with a moulded plug as required by law? Its unintelligent comments + electricity that get people killed. The guy can't tell a 3 amp fuse from a 13amp one while putting on a plug so your contribution to the topic shows your cognitive and emotional intelligence.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I checked the fuse board for tripped switches but nothing appears to have tripped.
    There is a good chance that your RCD has tripped. Sometimes when they trip the switch is only slightly down and it looks like it is On when in fact it is off.

Turn the RCD to the Off position and back to the On and see if this sorts out the problem for you. If it will not stay on try unplugging the washing machine. The RCD often tripps due a leak. Look at your pipe connections.

This is what the RCD looks like:
    H5.1.3_rcd.jpg

2 sockets(2 doubles?)sounds like a contact problem on the kitchen radial circuit somewhere assuming all tripswitches ,spurs are ok.maybe related to what you were doing.you may need to call an electrician
    Hard to diagnose 'over the internet' !:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

2 sockets(2 doubles?)sounds like a contact problem on the kitchen radial circuit somewhere assuming all tripswitches ,spurs are ok.maybe related to what you were doing.you may need to call an electrician
    +1

I read the OPs first post incorrectly and assumed (wrongly) that all kitchen sockets were off.

• Advertisement

So when I went home I unplugged the washing machine and tried the other 2 sockets and the worked fine. I replaced the plug on the washing machine and now everything works fine. Don't know what went wrong. Thanks for everyone's comments

prob a loose connection . it will likely give more trouble.so get it checked

Advertisement