Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you fill out the ballot sheet or just give no 1 and no 2?

Options
  • 06-06-2009 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

lol. my dad says ur a true democrat if you give everybody a vote.

i only gave votes 1 2 3 and 4. i felt i would jinx it and make a mistake if i filled the whole ballot sheet out.

Do you think its pointless to give everybody a vote on the ballot sheet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Yeah, only vote for people you want to get your vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ellade3

Hi, i just did 1, 2 and 3. It was my first time voting and with the 3 separate forms i definetly would have confused myself if i went any further!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

same here - just voted 1,2,3 on the European and County Coucil ballot
    went up to 6,7 on the local town ballot,

no point giving councillors votes for the sake of using your numbers!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

tolteq wrote: »
    lol. my dad says ur a true democrat if you give everybody a vote.

i only gave votes 1 2 3 and 4. i felt i would jinx it and make a mistake if i filled the whole ballot sheet out.

Do you think its pointless to give everybody a vote on the ballot sheet?

i always go one more than the no of seats incase the party disapears along with the canidates. a bit like the PD'S

my dad protest voted and usually only voted no.1 Those who cannot read or write(Yes it still happens) can put a simple X beside there no.1 provided they put nothing else on the sheet the ballot is valid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I voted all the way down. You never know what could happen. It could go to the 14th round, with the final seat being between SF and People Before Profit. In that scenario, I'd deffo be wanting my vote to go to PBPA. It's all about preferences, not just who you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I voted all the way down on the european ballot specifically to give votes to anyone but libertas. Only went to 4 on the local ballot iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

does it make a difference after that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭tolteq

does it make a difference after that?

well thats what i was thinking. that would have been a better q to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

If you really dont like a candidate or party with the PR system we have you should vote all the way down hence I voted the Greens No 10 in the Euros and 14 in the Locals

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gave everyone a number 'cept for Libertas and SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭GSF

Surely it only matters if you vote #1 for a candidate that gets elected with a surplus or gets eliminated. If you #1 is still in the reckoning at the end #2,3,4,etc is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I met a guy in the last General election with a smile on his big smile on his face. I ask him what the joke.
    He said in a laugh "He did vote the way he promised" I was puzzled and he added "I gave them all my number ones for annoyed me for that vote, Not on of them answered my questions, Those bastards now got what they deserved. There is no decent candidates in this elections all bluffers. I will still vote as it is my democratic right to have my say" and he walk away.

Usually I personally write in 1 up to 4 in preference. I once had 1 & 2 only as the rest were not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I gave every one a number except SF and Libertas in the euros. It ensures my vote goes somewhere to help keep those two out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

I kept on going to the end on all the papers. Even if it's only Sinn Fein and Libertas left in it, if my vote is looked at, I still want my preference to count. I'd only leave a blank if I really had no preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

I voted all the way down the ballot sheet in both contests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

On local I voted everyone except FF,GP,SF. In Europe I voted for Nessa Childers and thought about stopping there but decided to throw some prefs at independants.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I filled out the lot. Started at the bottom with FF and Greens and worked up

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Voted 1-5 in both European and local ballots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I vote with what seems to be a common tactic here. Gave my preferences and then went through the list to try and keep FF, the greens and certain Indos whose policies seemed rather FF like out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Only gave one vote in the europeans. No point going further. She will there at the end so my ballot won't be used again.

Voted 1, 2, 3, in the local election.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

My local 1 2 3 4 were candidates I'd like to see getting in. I used my lower preferences to include anyone who wasn't FF, SF or plain crazy. I didn't give a vote to INDs whom I know nothing about, just in case.

That system left me with only 1 2 3 in the EU elections.

Somehow, people I vote for usually get eliminated so my vote does get reused.

Advertisement