Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How 2 stabilize a 12v power supply.

Options
  • 06-06-2009 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a mini PC that has an external power supply. The output is 12v and I am working on a project to use power from a car battery but I'm just wondering would I need to ad something to stabilize the power from the battery or would it be ok?

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Typically people need a DC PSU (as opposed to the usual AC type) to run a small ITX comp off a DC source like that car battery... most common type is like this but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get one over here... IIRC closest seller was some UK mITX site...

Just bear in mind some mITX DC PSUs aren't up to the job as they run on 12V only. You need one that has a small range around that (such as 6-24VDC like the example above)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Adder1

m8 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a mini PC that has an external power supply. The output is 12v and I am working on a project to use power from a car battery but I'm just wondering would I need to ad something to stabilize the power from the battery or would it be ok?

Thanks ;)

Maplin do some power adapters for the car (see page 537 in catalogue) you would firist need to find out how much current (amps) you would need for your pc then look for the appropriate adapter
    please note that the current is usualy given in milli amps (mA). 1 amp= 1000mA

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Thanks for the replys guys. I will have a good look now that I have some idea what I need.

;)

Advertisement