Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maybe LoveDucati2 rubbed off on me?

• 06-06-2009 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Because I now too own a Rover 75. The Cooper S Works is grand and all, but I can't use it every day, and I don't want to either. So I needed a second car to be pottering about in, and for the band (Plus herself's getting broody). Had thought of getting a L200 with a canopy and crewcab, or something similar, but last night I bought myself an 02 Rover 75 Estate, Connoisseur SE + Electric Pack, 71k miles, automatic transmission, diesel (320d engine), and the spec is :

Silver Metallic
    17" Alloys
    Leather
    Heated Seats
    Electrically Adjustable Seats with Memory
    PDC
    Climate Control
    Cruise Control
    Traction Control
    Sunroof
    Xenon Headlamps with Washers
    Folding Mirrors
    Autodimming Rearview Mirror
    Wooden Dash & Leather/Wooden Steering Wheel
    Front Fogs
    Harmon Kardon Sound System
    SatNav
    TV
    6 Disc CD Changer

All for the princely sum of 3.5k. Unbelievable. And one of the most comfortable cars I've driven in a long time, and having all the toys is a complete hoot. She needs an update disc for the SatNav, a second key, a new windscreen, and a phone kit fitted, but otherwise, I couldn't possibly be any happier with it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=81913&stc=1&d=1244296516

attachment.php?attachmentid=81914&stc=1&d=1244296525

attachment.php?attachmentid=81915&stc=1&d=1244296531

attachment.php?attachmentid=81916&stc=1&d=1244296539

attachment.php?attachmentid=81917&stc=1&d=1244296545

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Here's your Rover starter kit:
    27C08SGRY_switch1_normal.jpgpfeife.jpgMerino_Wool_Comfort_Slippers_2.jpg

well wear !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

3.5k? Thats an elbow patched bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Check out www.aronline.co.uk , there's some fascinating stuff in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

White leather? Seats in them are as comfortable as anything you will find, when I drive my dads I cant get out :pac: Its a great price, sweet being an auto as well.Plenty of go in it too, once on the boost! its the 130bhp model?

You got a serious deal imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Check out www.aronline.co.uk , there's some fascinating stuff in there.

Great resource Chris, I'll be glued to that now for the rest of the day!

• Advertisement

Those who inhabit the candle-lit world of Classic Cars have had that site bookmarked for years! :)

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    White leather?

It's the Deep Sea Green leather, which seems to work well with the beige leather steering wheel, and wood trim.
    Sqaull20 wrote: »
    its the 130bhp model?

AFAIK, no, it's 115, but a quick remap will sort all of that. As it's a BMW engine, I can do some fettling at home and it won't be long singing. I didn't buy it for power though, that's what my JCW is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

There's more of us Rover 75 owners around than you'd think.

If you have no proof the oil in the box has been changed then change it with the right ATF for the Jatco box. It's a great gearbox and would be a shame to let it die for the sake of good fluid.
    Other than keeping fresh oil in the engine and gearbox there is little to worry about on a Rover 75 Diesel.

Would prefer it with 15 or 16" wheels to protect the suspension and you should check the front coils for damage.
    With the auto they're a great car for city traffic and motorways.

People have gone and bought Rover 75s after getting lifts in mine and have had no trouble with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ned78 wrote: »
    All for the princely sum of 3.5k. Unbelievable.

Indeed. The last laugh is with the Rover 75 owner - with or without pipe and slippers :D

ned78 wrote: »
    As it's a BMW engine, I can do some fettling at home and it won't be long singing. I didn't buy it for power though, that's what my JCW is for.
    BMW diagnostic tools will give you a lot of information from the ECU on the Diesel, not everything, but a lot. No good for the petrols though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Mailman wrote: »
    Other than keeping fresh oil in the engine and gearbox there is little to worry about on a Rover 75 Diesel.

The lift pump can be very troublesome in them and can cause the car to cut out when there is less than 1/2 a tank of diesel. Parts are difficult to get around cork too, although there is a good Rover mechanic in Ballyvolane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Well wear, ned78! Any pics?

Yes, pictures are needed.

This is a top of the line Rover 75 with premium leather specified, top spec radio and even powerfold mirrors and xenons. People will be stunned what €3500 can buy.

Will take some photos of it this afternoon, unfortunately, I'm stuck in work for the time being :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I always regretted not buying an oldish 600 as my promotion from first car years ago.

75 a very unique car for the money, the poor man's Bentley moniker is apt. I daydreamed about bringing a diesel MG ZT in from England a few years ago for peanuts. That would be a very desirable, practical and charismatic car for small money at this stage.

MG-Rover forum is a great resource. Has your car got black / grey sills below the chrome strip on the sides? If so it was built in the same factory as your MINI in Oxford!

I's an 02 Estate so it's Longbridge built, not Cowley.

I's an 02 Estate so it's Longbridge built, not Cowley.

Production moved to Longbridge in '00 apparantly but my '01 is still Oxford built. Another way to check is to look at the VIN number in the bottom left corner of the windscreen !

If the last letter before the serial number is 'M' it is Cowley built.
    If the last letter before the serial number is 'D' it is built at Longbridge

First post updated with photos now. Front bumper has two scuffs, but I'm sorting those out next weekend.

lovely car, where did you get it?
    Is that 3.5K inc VRT not that VRT is heavy on the diesel Rovers.

• Advertisement

Private sale from Autotrade NI, and it's including VRT too :)

Excellent, hard to find the better spec Rover 75s in Northern Ireland. Usually have to look to the UK for the Connoisseur SEs.

Man, that IS one fine looking car !

But listen, you're waay too young to carry it off ...I'll take it off you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

peasant wrote: »
    Man, that IS one fine looking car !

But listen, you're waay too young to carry it off ...I'll take it off you :D
    Both ends of the scale there... One is too young and the other is too old.

Nice car Ned well wear :D

Onkle wrote: »
    Both ends of the scale there... One is too young and the other is too old.

Oyh! Young whippersnapper ...careful there or I'll hit you with my slippers :D

Very tidy (if a bit "roundy"!), are you sure there is nothing wrong with it? :)

The only things wrong with it are the bodywork (2 scuffs on the front I'll be painting next weekend), a small rip in the leather on the driver's seat I'll be getting repaired on Monday, and the PDC is on the blink - which I'll sort myself next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Jesus, the VRT on these things are fair cheap too. Tempting as a stopgap car for a year or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Jesus, for a second there I thought you sold the JCW for the 75!!! With both of them you have pretty much all motoring needs covered.... Nice one.

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »
    Jesus, the VRT on these things are fair cheap too. Tempting as a stopgap car for a year or two

These are not a stopgap car; they just last and last and last.
    That's the problem I have at the moment. I've had my car for three years and can't find a car that does anything better to replace it unless I go spending big big money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Ned, just seen the photos - that's just lovely (I like British cars anyway).

And for €3500:D? Well wear:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

That's the problem I have at the moment. I've had my car for three years and can't find a car that does anything better to replace it unless I go spending big big money
    I was planning something like a saab 9-5 aero/s60 t5 - but not within my budget at the mo.

This would be cheap, comfortable, reliable and economical as I keep saving!

Tragedy wrote: »
    I was planning something like a saab 9-5 aero/s60 t5 - but not within my budget at the mo.

This would be cheap, comfortable, reliable and economical as I keep saving!
    chip a rover 75 diesel and you'd find yourself not being able to justify moving on to either of those two cars.
    It a "Bird in the hand" sort of scenario with the Rover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

peasant wrote: »
    Oyh! Young whippersnapper ...careful there or I'll hit you with my slippers :D
    If you can remember where you put them:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Jaysus, cracking car for the money. Just don't get one of those mahooosive plates for the black like the they have up north and across waters, looks mank lol.

Well wear with it, value for money at it's finest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Well wear Ned.....great value. Massive comfort. The brother in law has a petrol one (manual saloon) but one of the most comfortable cars I was ever in.
    Auto box is much better than the manual - I test drove one in Letterkenny last year and the Manual box was terrible, very sloppy.
    Looks great in the photos too. Looks like you will have he last laugh after all !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Well wear man. Interior is fantastic looking. I want one, I really really want one. For that kind of money it's a crazy amount of car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This has to go down as the bargin of the year.

Well wear Ned.

maidhc wrote: »
    The lift pump can be very troublesome in them and can cause the car to cut out when there is less than 1/2 a tank of diesel. Parts are difficult to get around cork too, although there is a good Rover mechanic in Ballyvolane.

I'm lucky enough with parts, one of the lads in the Mini club obviously services Rover Minis, and has found a supplier who bought all of Rover's parts warehouses stock, so it's like having access to a main dealer still. He's well able to service them too :)

+1

We have the 75 3 years too. Unlike yours and Neds, ours is the lowly 1.8 petrol manual. Bought for €6k when it was only 5 years old with low mileage and a good bit of main dealer history. And despite the bad reputation and all the warnings, I've spent nothing on the car except 4 tyres when we got it and basic oil servicing. And a one off €78 at the main (previous) dealer for an airbag sensor. The car owes us nothing at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Next thing we'll see from Ned is a post about how cheap we can import a 520d from the UK....:rolleyes::D

Thats a very smart looking motor Ned. For 3.5k, how far can you go wrong? Its a lot of car for the money. Fair play on the find!

Well wear!

Next thing we'll see from Ned is a post about how cheap we can import a 520d from the UK....:rolleyes::D

PMSL, that's funny DB :D

Advertisement