Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit Poll

Options
  • 06-06-2009 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭

Rte/Independent Exit Poll by Landsowne margin of error 1.7%

FF 24 -8

FG 34 + 6.5

Lab 17 + 5.5

Green 3

SF 9

Ind 13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

do you have a link to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Good result for FF in my opinion.

Further illustrating Irish peoples lack of courage and action.

Happy to sit by and watch failure. 24% of em anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Reporting what was just announced on RTE Radio 1

http://www.rte.ie/news/elections/stories/2009/0606/elections.html

FF'ers will be happy with that, limited damage, a semi good result.

Good result for FF in my opinion.

Further illustrating Irish peoples lack of courage and action.

Happy to sit by and watch failure. 24% of em anyway

These are Local Elections polls only, the early Tallies suggest FF have lost badly in the two Bye-Elections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I see that on the RTE election ticker that FF's first preference vote in Kilkenny is close to what it was in 2004. What a difference the very recent announcement of a new school makes.:rolleyes:

People are obviously more gullible (or should that be "stupid"?) than I thought.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I see that on the RTE election ticker that FF's first preference vote in Kilkenny is close to what it was in 2004. What a difference the very recent announcement of a new school makes.:rolleyes:

People are obviously more gullible than I thought.

This is democracy for ya :pac:

Fact is the majority of people are idiots.

People try and remember that these are local poll results, a lot of people seperate the local councillor from their party and vote based on individual expierence.

This IS NOT a general election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

If the FF lovers could just get their heads out of Biffos arse, stay home, and let the sane minded people do the voting instead, we'd all be happier!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ejmaztec wrote: »

People are obviously more gullible (or should that be "stupid"?) than I thought.

Yea and the threat to the A&E dept! Close our hospital and we'll still vote for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Villain wrote: »
    People try and remember that these are local poll results, a lot of people seperate the local councillor from their party and vote based on individual expierence.

I get the impression that a party is a party for most of the sheep, and that they would still vote for the party whatever elections were on the cards. In fact, I think that if a candidate poked one of the party faithful in the eye with a stick, the one-eyed voter would still vote for his attacker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Villain wrote: »

Exactly.

IMO people vote based on the candidates a lot more in the local elections. European and dail elections seem to be more based on the party affiliation. I would predict FF to do terribly in the Europeans as well

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

To bring this back up, an interesting study was done by Mark Little (Prime Time).
    Sinn Féin candidates polled strongest among the unemployed.

The candidate in Dublin, Mary Lou McDonald, got 14.7% of the first preference vote, according to our exit poll, but she got 32.4% of the long-term unemployed voters.

Sinn Féin also did very well among single men, particularly in Europe South where Toiréasa Ferris got 13.7% of vote, according to the RTÉ/Sunday Independent poll, but 22% of the votes of single men.

Declan Ganley of Libertas was also a big hit with single men - getting one in five of their votes, according to our exit poll.

Back in Dublin, Joe Higgins had a particular appeal to those who have recently been made redundant. He got 11.2% of the vote overall, according to our poll, but 32.4% among those made jobless in the last six months. Mr Higgins also got a particularly high vote among 50 to 64 year olds.

Fianna Fáil's Eoin Ryan got a higher than average vote from 18 to 24 year olds and the ABC1 social classes.

For all the talk of an angry grey vote, Fianna Fáil got its highest support among over 65s.

Fine Gael was particularly strong among the AB social classes, the self-employed and married couples.

Labour has particularly strong support among young single women - particularly working women.

Local issues mattered less to Dubliners than those in other parts of the country and the performance of the government mattered more.

Party affiliation mattered most in the East Euro constituency.

When out pollsters asked people should there be a general election this year, there was most support for the idea among young people (about 62% among 18-29 years old versus 55% overall) and the unemployed at 68%.

61% of Green voters agreed with the idea of another election in 2009.

Source: http://www.rte.ie/news/elections/stories/2009/0608/littleexit.html

(I love the page name, "littleexit"!)

So the unemployed look more towards Sinn Fein while the more settled focuses on the bigger partys (excluding FF whose vote comes from clearly a core support). The working woman votes more for Labour (possibly public service workers?!) and overall most young people want to see a change in government but it seems the rest of the country are split down the middle (the older generation(?) possibly more used to Finna Fail).

I think the concern is that while people want change, there not sure if they can trust the bigger party's to slip in and do just that. I think this is great for Finna Fail because being in power for so long casts doubt on whether others are capable. Personally, I think they will fit in nicely and will be very much willing to bring change. The problem will be the country needs big change and Labour are going to hold us back on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

This is democracy for ya :pac:

Fact is the majority of people are idiots.

Not idiots, just unable to think freely, they are suffering a form of mental slavery. Only the Education system can free them. At the moment the people responsible for Europe's dark-ages are in charge of that system.

Advertisement