Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganley looking good in Early Tallies

Options
  • 06-06-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭

Early tallies showing Ganley doing well on about 13%, that would seem to suggest that talk of pre election Polls being way out in relation to Ganley could be true, that would be a real shock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lets hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

How could there be early tallies there are no boxes opened and wont be until the polls across europe close at 9pm tomorrow, surely you mean exit polls

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Darsad wrote: »
    How could there be early tallies there are no boxes opened and wont be until the polls across europe close at 9pm tomorrow, surely you mean exit polls
    The boxes are opened, the local and European votes are in the one box so tallies are been done as votes are sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I wonder did Libertas get around to putting their detailed policies up on their website yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Villain wrote: »
    the local and European votes are in the one box

Maybe they do things a little differently in North-West but here in Meath the Town and County Council ballot sheets went in one box, for counting in Trim, and the other ballot sheets (for Ireland East in Europe) go in a separate box to go to Punchestown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭Villain

In Some areas upmeath, depends on where the count centres are located, my two votes went into the one box, and the tallies are coming from the sorting of votes I know that for sure, but this is a very large area so tallies have to carry serious health warnings but the surprise in relation to Ganley is that the tallies from areas where he wasn't expected to do well are showing him around 12%-13%

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Ganleys in according to tallies on politics.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Where i voted (Mayo) both ballot papers went into the same box.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Villain wrote: »
    The boxes are opened, the local and European votes are in the one box so tallies are been done as votes are sorted

Your probably right Villain as I did put my two in the one box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭GSF

upmeath wrote: »
    Maybe they do things a little differently in North-West but here in Meath the Town and County Council ballot sheets went in one box, for counting in Trim, and the other ballot sheets (for Ireland East in Europe) go in a separate box to go to Punchestown.
    My 2 votes in Meath East went into 1 box

• Advertisement

GSF wrote: »
    My 2 votes in Meath East went into 1 box

Meath East is a Dáil constituency.

Mods, I'm not dragging a post about Ganley off topic, I'm explaining how and where the votes are counted around the country, taking my own home county of Meath as an example.
    Meath is divided into five electoral areas for County Council elections - Navan, Kells, Trim, Dunshaughlin and Slane. Navan, Kells and Trim also have town council elections, meaning people in the urban areas of those three towns have a third ballot sheet. In the polling stations in the towns, the urban electorate have 3 ballot sheets - the town (Navan/Kells/Trim Town Council) and county (Navan/Kells/Trim Area for Meath County Council) ballots go into the one box, and a second box exists for European elections for convenience. This separate box doesn't exist in Dunshaughlin/Slane Areas.
    All ballots for Meath, from all five electoral areas, are being counted in the GAA in Trim this morning, and the euro ballots from Dunshaughlin and Slane are being separated and sent to Punchestown for tomorrow morning. The town council counts take place in the respective towns, I think Claremont Stadium sees the count for Navan TC, not sure where the Kells CS count is, and Trim TC is in the Leisure Centre.

The Euro election ballot heads to the count centre for Ireland East, which is the convention centre at Punchestown Racecourse, with the count beginning tomorrow morning, so if tallies are coming in for Ganley already they're for extraurban areas of Connacht/Ulster where the European ballots are being separated from County Council election ballots and someone's getting a cheeky look-in ahead of the European count, which only begins tomorrow morning at all four count centres.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

poochiem wrote: »
    Ganleys in according to tallies on politics.ie
    The guy who runs Politics.ie is the Libertas campaign manager (or similar title).

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    The guy who runs Politics.ie is the Libertas campaign manager (or similar title).

Thanks, I'm just going to put politics.ie beneath Fox and Sky News on my list of conservative biased media outlets now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Avril Doyle offered a very large health warning on EU tallies. Because of the vast size of the constituencies one can find disproportionate vote shares in individual regions and it makes getting an accurate picture from tallies very difficult. 13% in first preferences is unlikely to be enough for Ganley based on previous elections.

EDIT: Sligo with 100% boxes opened: Ganley on 11% , Harkin on 45%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

looks like Ganley is presently second on the tallies, behind Harkin.

According to RTE, she has pulled 15,000 votes, with Ganley on 3500.

still early days though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

It will be a travesty if Connacht and Ulster people elect that extraordinarily dubious man.

What with his connections to highly secretive arms supplying, associating with neocons and their shadowy organisations, and no explaining his wealth or even verification that he is genuinely wealthy, we should all be weary of the secretive, dubious and dangerous agenda of this self-declared British businessman.

And listening to his slander of Marian Harkin - e.g. she supports abortion -is enough to turn the stomach of anybody who does not want to see US style politics brought into our country.

It is a matter of public interest to expose this man, his background, his agenda and the source of his funding. The state and media has failed us abysmally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

looks like Ganley is presently second on the tallies, behind Harkin.

According to RTE, she has pulled 15,000 votes, with Ganley on 3500.

still early days though

That's more like it. How on earth could anybody have claimed Ganley was ahead with that sort of margin in favour of Harkin?

Rebelheart wrote: »
    It will be a travesty if Connacht and Ulster people elect that extraordinarily dubious man.

It will be a testament to his ability to persuade and manipulate the Irish people to pursue his own interests, except this time it's infiltrate and destroy, and he only needs the backing of a hundred thousand or so, many of them are people from a rural background whom he fooled into thinking he would reform and save the CAP if elected to the Parliament. What will really happen if he's elected to the European Parliament is he'll sit in the back row heckling the EPP, PSOE and ALDE with a bunch of extremists from UKIP and quite possibly the BNP if they manage to get somebody elected this time around. He'll be useless to the people of Ireland North-West.
    Rebelheart wrote:
    It is a matter of public interest to expose this man, his background, his agenda and the source of his funding. The state and media has failed us abysmally.

Much has been done to unravel his cloth, the Prime Time feature on his shares in Albanian pensions programmes and Latvian mining and forestry companies was a real eye-opener for me. Perhaps it's just a case of not enough people watching these things, it's much more interesting viewing than an All-Ireland hurling final with Kilkenny involved, but it only gets a fraction of the viewership numbers.

More tally updates.
    Pat "The Cope" Gallagher is doing well in Donegal. Ganley appears to be still doing better than expected but the suggestion is that Harkin will top the poll. That's not what Ganley wants, if it turns out that way, as she was quite obviously his target. Both FF and FG front runners have running mates to get transfers from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

This was a tough one for me. I don't like Libertas but I could not bring myself to vote for pro-Lisbon parties as it will just be claimed as a pro-lisbon vote. I doubt it'll make a difference as I'm in Meath.
    I don't know whether to be pleased to see an anti-lisbon candidate getting support or uneasy at a party I don't like gaining support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ShooterSF wrote: »
    This was a tough one for me. I don't like Libertas but I could not bring myself to vote for pro-Lisbon parties as it will just be claimed as a pro-lisbon vote. I doubt it'll make a difference as I'm in Meath.
    I don't know whether to be pleased to see an anti-lisbon candidate getting support or uneasy at a party I don't like gaining support.

Regardless of your opinion of Lisbon, that is just one issue, the bigger picture would suggest to me you should really be uneasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

lol!

Is that why every moderator in the European Union section calls Libertas, 'neo-nazis' :D.

Roll on conspiracy theorists [I think that Ganley is a good candidate for 1984's 2 minute hate, if you get what I mean]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

molloyjh wrote: »
    Regardless of your opinion of Lisbon, that is just one issue, the bigger picture would suggest to me you should really be uneasy.

It's rather a big issue in Europe though and given that one of the arguments for not having refererendums is people elected people who support the treaty I'm sure you can see the dilemma (If you are to ignore your opinion on the actual treaty).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

I think the health warning was in relation to the Dublin constituency?

Why on God's Earth do people give Marian Harkin a vote:confused:

I think it would be great to see Declan Ganley in parliament. Europe needs adversarial voices to question integration policy and to convey the message that not all Europeans, including Irish people, are happy with the direction Europe is taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Much has been done to unravel his cloth, the Prime Time feature on his shares in Albanian pensions programmes and Latvian mining and forestry companies was a real eye-opener for me. Perhaps it's just a case of not enough people watching these things, it's much more interesting viewing than an All-Ireland hurling final with Kilkenny involved, but it only gets a fraction of the viewership numbers.

THe flaw with these sort of programmes was obvious from the response it got here and across other forums. If you attack someone for his past etc people call it a hatchet job and a smear campaign and libertas get to run with it as the little group standing up to the big bad *elites* Caroline Simons has been desperate to find someone to have a smear campaign on her, calling arson when her office had a small electrical fire and so on because it is the sort of stuff that grabs people's imagination and can push them to vote for libertas.

Putting Libertas down should be straightforward step by step knock down of their structure, their policies (which they have put up at long last, but its not on the libertas website, you have to go to the libertas ireland website for them because they have no EU wide policy, just economic ones for ireland) their candidates current activities etc.
    Is that why every moderator in the European Union section calls Libertas, 'neo-nazis'

Its also why anyone can go into the european section and put up a daily mail article or something and go *OMGZ THEY TAKIN ORZ DEMOCRAZIES!?!?!?!* without being challanged to provide actual proof. As I have said before what I like about the politics section of boards is if you make any such claims you need to back it up.

Which I might add no libertas supporter has been able to do here...

I think the health warning was in relation to the Dublin constituency?

Why on God's Earth do people give Marian Harkin a vote:confused:

I think it would be great to see Declan Ganley in parliament. Europe needs adversarial voices to question integration policy and to convey the message that not all Europeans, including Irish people, are happy with the direction Europe is taking.

The health warning I am assuming is in relation to partial tallies? It applies to all of them due to their huge size.

Most probably they vote for her because she is hard-working, trustworthy and has been consistent in her policies since she was elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

lol!

Is that why every moderator in the European Union section calls Libertas, 'neo-nazis' :D.

Let me stop you there. I never call anyone neo-nazis (with the exception of groups who describe themselves that way). Nor do I allow the random use of the term 'nazi', if it comes to it.

Still, it's not as if you've picked up a reputation for accuracy to lose.

annoyed,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

^what Scofflaw said.

Personally if Libertas decided they were neo-Nazis, at least they'd finally be picking a policy consistent across Europe as opposed to the current situation where they have candidates making opposite arguments in different countries so technically I'd see that as progress of sorts, albeit a "progress" I wouldn't be supportive of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ganley 4th in the tallies , I believe that is final or near final .

1 2 and 3 are Harkin and Gallagher and Higgins in that order .

Ganley did well in Galway but not in the northern end of the constituency . He topped the poll in certain parts of the city where his campaign was racist, eg Ballybane .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ShooterSF wrote: »
    It's rather a big issue in Europe though and given that one of the arguments for not having refererendums is people elected people who support the treaty I'm sure you can see the dilemma (If you are to ignore your opinion on the actual treaty).

Just on a point of fact, abeit off topic and noone wants another thread on Lisbon anyway, the fact that people elected pro-Lisbon politicians was never used as a reason to NOT hold a referendum, just as a relevant piece of evidence that they weren't against Lisbon. The only argument for not holding a referendum that appeared on these boards was because each member state has the right to define their own procedures. End of.

The point I was trying to make was regarding the fact that in 2 years Lisbon will be gone, one way or another (be it ratified or binned), and Ganley will still be in Europe. Whatever way you may feel about Lisbon you have to bear this in mind. If you don't like Libertas or Ganley, and if he does get in, you'll have to suffer him longer than Lisbon. Therefore you should be concerned.

Advertisement