Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganley looking good in Early Tallies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

In a different debate I would subject that idea to a rigourous examination. Can we simply agree that it needs to be nuanced a bit?

Sorry, I don't quite get you? In a nutshell, I don't trust FF as far as I could throw them about countless issues, but I don't think they would go so far as rigging an election. I don't feel like getting into a big debate either, its getting late, but I'll clarify what I said further if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

bug wrote: »
    Actually, I stated that it's a possibility. All my opinions are just that.

You did - my comment was inaccurate.

apologies,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Scofflaw is suggesting that Libertas will corrupt this process overnight.
    But this is not viewed as a serious charge on this forum.

If he did suggest that I would sanction him over it, however; he did not which is why neither him nor bug have had any warnings given to them. Both are living within the letter and spirit of the law here by offering opinions but not claiming actions on behalf of their respective targets of suspicion.

At this point, I'll politely ask you one final time to stop going on about this or I will start sanctioning you for complaining about moderation in a thread. Just to be clear I could have done this already but I feel that you're operating under ill judgement here rather than malice so I'll give you warning before acting. This is combined with wishing not to silence Libertas supporters on this forum because there's not that many of you and I'd like to not see this being a one sided discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Declan Ganley on the BBC. Normally I'm quite reluctant to post youtube links on Politics but it's topical and relevant and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

in his defence, there does seem to be alot of ignorance in the UK about porportional voting as all the UK libertas supporters have assumed it was over (including their candidates who posted up saying he had been defeated) so he was right to explain the systme at the start.

• Advertisement

He didn't manage to sound terribly confident IMO. Hard to tell what he's thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Why do they describe him as 'Leader of the no camp'?

My understanding is that SF were also on the 'No to Lisbon' side of the house and they got 205,613 votes in the Euro's, over double Libertas' share.

Surely this makes either Gerry Adams or Caoimhain O'Caolain 'Leader of the no camp' if such a position exists?

his point on labour is curious.

I would have thought his outright attack on all the other parties (except sinn fein) would have pushed him way down the list of preferences, I mean you must assume that if they gave labour their first preference that they wouldnt be too keen to hand their 2nd preference to someone who accused your 1st preference of being undemocratic.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

I would have thought his outright attack on all the other parties (except sinn fein) would have pushed him way down the list of preferences, I mean you must assume that if they gave labour their first preference that they wouldnt be too keen to hand their 2nd preference to someone who accused your 1st preference of being undemocratic.

I was Labour #1, so well, that's one transfer he can forget about...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

in his defence, there does seem to be alot of ignorance in the UK about porportional voting as all the UK libertas supporters have assumed it was over (including their candidates who posted up saying he had been defeated) so he was right to explain the systme at the start.
    Oh absolutely. They use it so seldom that unfortunately any such discussion would have to include half a minute explaining that it's not the same as FPTP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'd be curious about his strength in transfers tbh. I'm having a hard time seeing primarily left leaning voters of Labour, Sinn Fein etc giving him a preference at all, never mind a 2nd. The country leant left, he's on the wrong side of the centre to hoover up preferences I feel.

nesf wrote: »
    I'd be curious about his strength in transfers tbh. I'm having a hard time seeing primarily left leaning voters of Labour, Sinn Fein etc giving him a preference at all, never mind a 2nd. The country leant left, he's on the wrong side of the centre to hoover up preferences I feel.

I saw a piece in the Anglo-Celt where the SF candidate was running Ganley down in Cavan, so I was surprised by the idea that SF would transfer to Ganley on the strength of the No connection. I don't think SF were particularly interested in sharing space with Libertas.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Scofflaw is suggesting that Libertas will corrupt this process overnight.
    But this is not viewed as a serious charge on this forum.

It was clearly an innocuous, throw-away comment. Please learn how to read internet discussion forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

it seems that the ff scum were busy rounding up the mentally 'challenged' to vote in Letterkenny... if you get my drift. A developer's friend was busy all day rounding them up, no word of a lie... these thugs will have their day, wait and see

it seems that the ff scum were busy rounding up the mentally 'challenged' to vote in Letterkenny... if you get my drift. A developer's friend was busy all day rounding them up, no word of a lie... these thugs will have their day, wait and see

In a thread of 'mentally 'challenged'' posts, you have just topped the charts. What the hell are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

FF connections in Letterkenny recruited a friend of a developer to run out-patients of the psychiatric hospital down to the voting booths, its common knowledge in Letterkenny... a poor way to try and round up support wouldnt you say?

FF connections in Letterkenny recruited a friend of a developer to run out-patients of the psychiatric hospital down to the voting booths, its common knowledge in Letterkenny... a poor way to try and round up support wouldnt you say?

You don't have to be mad to vote FF, but it helps?

appallingly,
    Scofflaw

FF connections in Letterkenny recruited a friend of a developer to run out-patients of the psychiatric hospital down to the voting booths

While I wouldnt outright condone it, I do question why people who are in a psychiatric hospital shouldnt vote?

They have their democratic right to vote, if its only the FF candidate who puts in the effort to get them to the polling station then he deserves their vote.

Is it any worse then the canddiate who arranges a bus for an old folks home to go the polling station?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I arranged a Lift for a disabled man to vote on Friday, He had no way of getting to to Polling station

At the polling station, who he voted for is between him and god. Maybe he voted for us, maybe not. But i'd rather people Are helped to exercise their Democratic right to vote then not.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I know in the scheme of things it's a poor showing, but I still can't get my head around it:

How, in the name of hell, did thirteen and a half thousand people think that voting for that woman was a good idea?

The mind boggles.

Lol, this is the real vote-rigging scandal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

as a candidate you cant go around bringing people to vote - on so many levels it is wrong

set up a local group or charity whatever to do it - but you personaly is nly bound to influence their vote

set up a local group or charity whatever to do it - but you personaly is nly bound to influence their vote

he said the candidate got a developer friend to do it, so I guess technically he didnt bring them personnally.

But I would say the friend would have been going on *how great XXX is...* on the trip over.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,471 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

he said the candidate got a developer friend to do it, so I guess technically he didnt bring them personnally.

But I would say the friend would have been going on *how great XXX is...* on the trip over.
    I didn't realise Vin Diesel was a member of Fianna Fail.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

back to ganley, what is he doing apart from annoying the hell out of me, talk about ungracious, seems like hes clutching at straws, i still cant beleive that many people voted for him (or pat the cope for that matter). i just want the result at this point no idea what his agenda is at the moment (apart from i dont think he understands the system and his party workers are getting confused maybe)

will we ever get a result up here?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mr Ganley's "eye witnesses" have gone from 4 to 5 overnight. Again I have little objection to people querying any votes but there doesn't seem to be anything to be gained here, beyond the "theatrics" as described last night. He admitted on radio this morning that some of those votes may go to others, also a big change from his "misplaced" votes of last night. His inability to maintain the same story suggests a serious lack of credibility and as has been commented all along a flexible view of the truth.

These 'eyewitnesses' claim the mistake was made at about 4:30 in the afternoon. Why wait till the second count to stop it, why not go 'hey buddy, you've made a mistake', as in a normal human reaction to seeing a mistake being made?

Also they're only 'eyewitnesses' if something went wrong, and they find people who saw it.

'Eyewitnesses' aren't people who think they might have seen something.

They are Libertas staffers, and the fact that he can't even call them that on TV or on the radio shows just how incapeable of honesty and transperency he is. Oh the irony...

So what's the latest update, have they resumed counting in NW or is Ganley still enjoying his last moments in the spotlight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Thank god Ganley has been discredited in the polls. Imagine the embarrassment he'd cause for us in Brussels. Interestingly though, he signed his own death warranted with his little weekend tantrum. An unpleasant, self-serving man. He makes Enda Kenny and Brian Cowen look like real politicians, and that's saying a lot.

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote: »
    So what's the latest update, have they resumed counting in NW or is Ganley still enjoying his last moments in the spotlight?

Recheck expected to be concluded @ 14:30 according to RTÉ news

Advertisement