Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganley looking good in Early Tallies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,471 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Villain wrote: »
    LOL 1500 O'Luain votes in the Ganley bundles, so they've lost votes out of this farce!
    The bigger picture is quite serious though. This means that votes were in fact misplaced.

LOL doesn't cover that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why don't you disprove his argument.
    The universe was created by a Giant Spaghetti Monster. Disprove that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

New NW counts (original in brackets):

Gallagher: 82643 (82643)
    Ganley: 67,638 (70,638)
    Harkin: 84,813 (84,813)
    Higgins: 80,093 (80,093)

So Ganley's was the only one incorrect of the top four.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The universe was created by a Giant Spaghetti Monster. Disprove that.

And a fine day it is for all Pastafarians when the Pirate Party has been elecled to Europe.
    Yarrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Just heard on RTE, that Ganley has LOST 3000 votes from his petty recheck!

HA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

So Ganley lost around 3000 votes as a result of the recheck.

Although it is a bit worrying that so many votes were put in the wrong place, I can't help but feel happy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Just heard on RTE, that Ganley has LOST 3000 votes from his petty recheck!

HA!

haha IN YOUR FACE GANLEY!

no, I'm not 10 years old, I just act that way on occasion :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭madser

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Policies
    The Libertas programme for a better Europe will be published on this site in the coming weeks.

http://www.libertas.eu/en/policies

Just be patient for another few weeks . . . .

surly they should have published that before the european elections

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

From RTÉ
    The recheck in the North West found Libertas leader Declan Ganley had been awarded 3,00 extra votes in error.

The 3,000 votes for Independent candidate Fiachra O'Luain were found in the Libertas bundles and his first count total has now been revised upwards accordingly.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/elections/stories/2009/0608/euroelection.html

Fiachra is a member of the facebook group 'F*ck Off, Declan Ganley!'

Oh dear!

It's actually doubled his number, so I'm sure he's delighted, and thankful to Mr. Ganley!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

madser wrote: »
    surly they should have published that before the european elections
    It takes a long time to type with two fingers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

While I'm delighted that Ganley has lost out as a result of this recount, it just goes to show how flaws in the system can come about. 3,000 is a lot of votes to misplace - it could have made all the difference down in the South where there was just a 600 vote difference between Kathy Sinnott and Toireasa Ferris which resulted in Ferris' elimination. It could also have made a difference in Dublin, where the third seat was closely contested to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

While I'm delighted that Ganley has lost out as a result of this recount, it just goes to show how flaws in the system can come about. 3,000 is a lot of votes to misplace - it could have made all the difference down in the South where there was just a 600 vote difference between Kathy Sinnott and Toireasa Ferris which resulted in Ferris' elimination

It is something to think about. To play devils advocate though, those 3,000 might have been one's with Ganley as 2nd preference and some counter might have been jumping the gun by moving them over early to save time if it looked like the other candidate hadnt a hope in hell. Wrong on many levels, but not a malicous evil. Secondly Ferris had the right to ask them to recount if she felt that those 600 were miscounted (and there was at a point talk of recounting the surplas from sean kelly) but Ferris accepted defeat instead.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    It is something to think about. To play devils advocate though, those 3,000 might have been one's with Ganley as 2nd preference and some counter might have been jumping the gun by moving them over early to save time if it looked like the other candidate hadnt a hope in hell. Wrong on many levels, but not a malicous evil. Secondly Ferris had the right to ask them to recount if she felt that those 600 were miscounted (and there was at a point talk of recounting the surplas from sean kelly) but Ferris acceoted defeat instead.
    I am to say the least shocked by this bit. I mean especially with what has went on in the West and such a small number of votes and the fact the she is Sinn Fein.

It is something to think about. To play devils advocate though, those 3,000 might have been one's with Ganley as 2nd preference and some counter might have been jumping the gun by moving them over early to save time if it looked like the other candidate hadnt a hope in hell. Wrong on many levels, but not a malicous evil. Secondly Ferris had the right to ask them to recount if she felt that those 600 were miscounted (and there was at a point talk of recounting the surplas from sean kelly) but Ferris acceoted defeat instead.

I wonder if it's more likely to happen between smaller independents, without experienced tally people?

eagle eye wrote: »
    I am to say the least shocked by this bit. I mean especially with what has went on in the West and such a small number of votes and the fact the she is Sinn Fein.

versus the fact that its votes coming from sean kelly, a fine gael candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Just a note: I've split off the posts about understanding the Lisbon Treaty (with the initial "speck of dust" post that sparked it off) as it's separate from Declan Ganley and the North-west constituency and worth discussing in its own thread. You'll find that thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Secondly Ferris had the right to ask them to recount if she felt that those 600 were miscounted (and there was at a point talk of recounting the surplas from sean kelly) but Ferris accepted defeat instead.

I do think Ferris should have asked for a recount - 600 votes is very little. If Sinnott was in her position, I'd expect her to ask for a recount.
    Ferris has much more of a basis to ask for a recount thn Ganley had. Ganley's request was merely a publicity stunt trying to delay the inevitable. To quote Jim Higgins, it was "the last kick of a drowning man".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I do think Ferris should have asked for a recount - 600 votes is very little. If Sinnott was in her position, I'd expect her to ask for a recount.
    Ferris has much more of a basis to ask for a recount thn Ganley had. Ganley's request was merely a publicity stunt trying to delay the inevitable. To quote Jim Higgins, it was "the last kick of a drowning man".
    I agree she should have sought a recount.

getting back on topic...why the hell are we still waiting on the 2nd count in the NW?

if the whole issue with misplaced votes been resolved then maybe we can move on to telling libertas they are finished...

Libertas leader Declan Ganley has conceded that he will not take a seat in the European elections

I AM NOW OFF TO GET SH*TFACED!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I have just heard the same thing on Newstalk - great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I can't wait to hear his concession speech :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Even better news - He announced he is bowing out of politics.

A victory for those of us who hate those who butt in when we try to speak, and can only speak ill of others.

I've been waiting all day to do this...

Play him off Keyboard Cat!

P.S. If Blitzkrieg the youtube genius can put together some footage of ganley being eliminated later, or conceding and strapping keyboard cat onto the end I'd be eternally grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

According to RTE it appears that this will be the end of his political life, and therefore of Libertas. Lets hope he is telling the truth for the first time.

we'd need to find the footage first.

I can do it no problem once we find footage of him conceeding or looking uncomfortable.

(look to that bbc interview earlier maybe?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Best news I've heard all day! Delighted to see the back of him from public life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmm, a right dilettante then. The party such as it is should die quick enough and with it any serious opposition to Lisbon 2.

• Advertisement

Wow what a sour(and sore) loser. Just like a certain former Minister for Justice.

Advertisement