Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganley looking good in Early Tallies

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

TimHanley wrote: »
    Bit of an idealised vision there. They are elected to represent the will of the people, you seem to think they are there to dominate and fool the "stupid masses".

Quite the contrary. The stupid masses are the bane of my life, but I would not dream of denying them their rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

should ganley be embarrassed after calling for a re-check ?

not half as embarrassed as the count procedure that led to the 'misplacement' of 3000 votes... this is the real story here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I would consider myself somewhat politically-aware, and I never heard of the man before the Lisbon campaign.

The first I heard of Ganley was on Newstalk in mid-April last year saying that Lisbon would give the EU the power over ALL our taxation. He was lying straight off the bat, and a good month before the Yes campaign started too.

Re. Tim Hanley, I think it's fair to say that the Libertas supporters are currently in the 'anger' stage of their election hang-over.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

TimHanley wrote: »
    Deccers has been shown to have nothing like the support pro lisbon people would have us believe. That much is obvious.

He didn't get the same media exposure either this time. Your comparing a Referendum to a European North West election. The same factors don't apply.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I'm not sure you're not arguing two different things here. Ganley certainly did get a lot of media coverage before the referendum. However, most people still didn't know who he was - outside those interested in politics.

In a similar sense, after all, there are all kinds of celebrities who get huge amounts of coverage in the media, and I haven't a clue who they are.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I'd go with that. People knew him as a big player in the No Campaign but very little about his background or financing. Indeed, we still don't know much about his financing! :o

There was a couple of articles questioning Ganleys motivation and background in the mainstream papers, they picked up on an Indymedia article, but the story died a death really until the Prime Time programme.

Ganley himself never became a Referendum issue.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

jape wrote: »

thanks for that link jape.
    but i was really trying to refer to the actual human counting and placing of votes in castlebar on the particular day rather than the whole voting system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

libertas website updated.

statement on results from libertas
    It's your Europe

Libertas is proud of what our supporters, volunteers and candidates have achieved in just a short few months. We took on the enormous challenge of being the first pan-European party and succeeded in fielding over 500 candidates and creating a people's movement across Europe. Our message of democracy, accountability and transparency has resonated not only amongst the hundreds of thousands of people who came out to vote Libertas but also amongst the political establishments nationally and in Brussels. And while we are disappointed with the overall results across Europe, our message remains relevant and important and we urge all newly elected Members of the European Parliament to take action in reforming Brussels.

A very big thank you for your commitment and support.

And remember – it’s your Europe..

Declan Ganley & the Libertas team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    libertas website updated.

statement on results from libertas
    I counted eight words in that entire statement which acknowledged the reality of Libertas's performance and impact. Apart from those eight words, you'd swear Libertas had cleaned up in the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Libertas wrote:
    the hundreds of thousands of people who came out to vote Libertas

In a population of hundreds of millions. pwned

Advertisement