Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganley looking good in Early Tallies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

ShooterSF wrote: »
    This was a tough one for me. I don't like Libertas but I could not bring myself to vote for pro-Lisbon parties as it will just be claimed as a pro-lisbon vote. I doubt it'll make a difference as I'm in Meath.
    I don't know whether to be pleased to see an anti-lisbon candidate getting support or uneasy at a party I don't like gaining support.

Just to add on this, we're having another referendum on Lisbon, Ganley or no Ganley. That's when you can vote 'No'. Any SF supporters should be very wary of this Tory Boy so beloved of the British right. Sometimes your enemys enemy is also your enemy.

Slightly OT, but is your signature line about the commission a joke? I think I saw someone say that Libertas are actually saying something along those lines?

Last year 'Vote no to Lisbon or we lose our commissioner', this year it's 'Vote no to Lisbon or we keep on all these useless commissioners'!?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

molloyjh wrote: »
    Just on a point of fact, abeit off topic and noone wants another thread on Lisbon anyway, the fact that people elected pro-Lisbon politicians was never used as a reason to NOT hold a referendum, just as a relevant piece of evidence that they weren't against Lisbon. The only argument for not holding a referendum that appeared on these boards was because each member state has the right to define their own procedures. End of.

The point I was trying to make was regarding the fact that in 2 years Lisbon will be gone, one way or another (be it ratified or binned), and Ganley will still be in Europe. Whatever way you may feel about Lisbon you have to bear this in mind. If you don't like Libertas or Ganley, and if he does get in, you'll have to suffer him longer than Lisbon. Therefore you should be concerned.
    That's a fair point and I do agree I'd feel uneasy. but still would it be evidence that people supported the treaty by electing pro-treaty parties? Something I'm not 100% comfortable with.
    I'm just suggesting it from this quote,
    "just as a relevant piece of evidence that they weren't against Lisbon."

I also agree on not getting into a pro/con debate again for now ;)

Just to add on this, we're having another referendum on Lisbon, Ganley or no Ganley. That's when you can vote 'No'. Any SF supporters should be very wary of this Tory Boy so beloved of the British right. Sometimes your enemys enemy is also your enemy.

Slightly OT, but is your signature line about the commission a joke? I think I saw someone say that Libertas are actually saying something along those lines?

Last year 'Vote no to Lisbon or we lose our commissioner', this year it's 'Vote no to Lisbon or we keep on all these useless commissioners'!?
    :confused:

It's quite tongue in cheek. Though before the last vote I actually agreed with the yes side by the end that the commission needed to be reduced. Now, by fluke voting for lisbon will keep it bloated.
    But yes I picked that issue because of the strange situation it has us in where the Yes side now are by a side-effect looking to keep "our" (In commas for a reason) commissioner while a no side technically could be looking to keep the nice result. Again, somewhat tongue in cheek.

Edit - also while I have found myself voting SF today I am not a SF supporter in that I vote for the party I have preference for at the time and find that none represent my views well. It's generally the least bad I vote for.

Sindo exit poll puts Ganley on 10% - not too far off the 9% in the opinion polls.

Interestingly most people said they voted for him based on his 'policies'.

I'd love to know what people think his 'policies' are.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/elections/stories/2009/0606/euroelection.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Take those politics.ie "tallies" with a pinch of salt and a litre or two of hard liquor. Can they even be called tallies? They weren't calculated while the votes were being counted, only sorted.

That said, Ganley may well get in. Across Europe we've seen far-right nutters get into power because of public anger; the Freedom Party in the Netherlands, the BNP getting their first county councillor in England and now maybe Ganley in NW. I hope he doesn't get in but am bracing myself for the worst.

Actually that's not true, the worst would be more than just Ganley getting in in Ireland. Whatever happens to Ganley, the other two Libertas candidates in Ireland look well on their way to humiliation so that's something I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

traveled across country today

spotted "new party, fresh direction" libertas poster near Dublin, nearly crashed the car :D

i taught they where a limited company? and what direction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

molloyjh wrote: »
    The point I was trying to make was regarding the fact that in 2 years Lisbon will be gone, one way or another (be it ratified or binned), and Ganley will still be in Europe. Whatever way you may feel about Lisbon you have to bear this in mind. If you don't like Libertas or Ganley, and if he does get in, you'll have to suffer him longer than Lisbon. Therefore you should be concerned.

So? Ganley, if elected, will only be an MEP (of what will probably be a minority party). The EU Parliament doesn't have much power anyway. Besides which, it has already approved Lisbon. If The argument is that Ganley's possible election will boost the publicity of the 'No' side if he is elected, this is not much of an argument (and, as you said, only relevent for the next two years at most anyway).

On a related topic, now that Cameron is pursuing a referendum in Britain on Lisbon, will the same vitriol be directed at him by the yes crowd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I do not like Fine Gael or their EU policies, and I would be reluctant to vote Fianna Fail due to their poor performance in Government. But if Higgins and The Cope get in ahead of Ganley I'll be delighted!
    I sincerely hope Ganley fails in his bid to become an MEP and that Libertas will have died out before the next elections. And I'm speaking as someone who voted NO to Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

I have nothing but admiration for any man that has achieved so much in his business career & fairly single handedly opened alot of people's eyes regarding the pitfalls of the Lisbon treaty (although there are many good things in this draft of the Lisbon treaty).

Ever since his success with the referendum - Paddy the Irishman has resorted to type i.e. knock the lad that's done well & look for dirt so that we can assasinate him/her.

We should all be proud of what he has achieved & lets respect respect democracy i.e. the Irish people have spoken.

Oh, has Jim Higgins the the rest of our mighty M.E.P's (yeah these people we see only every 5 years) revealed their annual expenses yet?? :D

Besides which, it has already approved Lisbon.

The Lisbon treaty is dead in the water untill it is passed by all member countries, including % especially the Republic Of Ireland.

rco2000 wrote: »
    I have nothing but admiration for any man that has achieved so much in his business career & fairly single handedly opened alot of people's eyes regarding the pitfalls of the Lisbon treaty (although there are many good things in this draft of the Lisbon treaty).

Ever since his success with the referendum - Paddy the Irishman has resorted to type i.e. knock the lad that's done well & look for dirt so that we can assasinate him/her.

We should all be proud of what he has achieved & lets respect respect democracy i.e. the Irish people have spoken.

Oh, has Jim Higgins the the rest of our mighty M.E.P's (yeah these people we see only every 5 years) revealed their annual expenses yet?? :D

The 'pitfalls' he identified were either outright fantasy, or not in Lisbon. He's a bullsh*t artist. I have no respect for charlatans that mislead people.

Hopefully he'll not be elected and he'll crawl back into whatever hole he squirmed out of.

• Advertisement

So? Ganley, if elected, will only be an MEP (of what will probably be a minority party). The EU Parliament doesn't have much power anyway. Besides which, it has already approved Lisbon. If The argument is that Ganley's possible election will boost the publicity of the 'No' side if he is elected, this is not much of an argument (and, as you said, only relevent for the next two years at most anyway).

I think you're both making the same point.

ionix5891 wrote: »
    traveled across country today

spotted "new party, fresh direction" libertas poster near Dublin, nearly crashed the car :D

Sounds like what this country needs at the mo - a fresh direction, away from the cosy cartells, political directorships, galway races tent, failed financial regulation, a "world class health system", political corruption (tribunals),a government that has not got a clue how to get us out of their mess etc etc

Not saying it's Libertas but we certainly need something new?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Oh, has Jim Higgins the the rest of our mighty M.E.P's (yeah these people we see only every 5 years) revealed their annual expenses yet??

THe one's I voted for did.

Its rather pointless to make annual expenses a cornerstone of a campaign for 3 reasons

1. It becomes mute as of tomorrow because all MEP's will be forced to accept the same standardised pay

2. As shown in this campaign it doesnt give you credibility it only damages your opponent, and if they (like most MEP's in Ireland did) release their expenses, then the argument again becomes void. Yes Jim Higgens failed to do that, he's an idiot, and as such I wouldnt vote for him, doesnt mean I would vote for Ganley, because there were plenty of other MEP's who released their expenses.

3. Finally if you push that your opponents should go above and beyond the legal requirement to show transparency, then using the excuse that you have shown all you are legally required to in relation to your own funding is hyprocritical at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭eamo12

Hopefully he'll not be elected and he'll crawl back into whatever hole he squirmed out of.

Perhaps you should crawl back into whatever hole you squirmed out of. Ganley has exposed the un-democratic nature of the EU and the deficit that exists between the commission and the people. No wonder the euro-elite are running scared. Voted No. 1 for Ganley and proud to do so.

eamo12 wrote: »
    Perhaps you should crawl back into whatever hole you squirmed out of. Ganley has exposed the un-democratic nature of the EU and the deficit that exists between the commission and the people.

Really? Would you care to expand on that with examples?

Sounds like empty party propaganda to me, try harder next time Declan.

The 'pitfalls' he identified were either outright fantasy, or not in Lisbon.
    Fact is, the majority of Irish people made up their own minds last year (not Ganley) i.e. the pitfalls outweighed the advantages of passing the referendum.
    Our inspiartional Taoiseach did not even read the shagging document -Ganley did.

I have no respect for charlatans that mislead people.

This government has made an art of mis-leading the Irish nation - just look at their record.

I wonder if Declan will respect the democratic will of the people when he misses out on the EP seat tomorrow and remove himself and his opinions from our lamp posts and into the letters page of the daily mail where they belong.

rco2000 wrote: »
    This government has made an art of mis-leading the Irish nation - just look at their record.

I have no respect for our government.

can everyone tone it down...

If you have a point back it up with facts otherwise stop being all aggressively outraged.

All of you (including you Pope, your holiness is sounding a tad too confrontational.)

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    THe one's I voted for did.

Probably only after Vincent Browne shamed them into doing so.

1. It becomes mute as of tomorrow because all MEP's will be forced to accept the same standardised pay

2. As shown in this campaign it doesnt give you credibility it only damages your opponent, and if they (like most MEP's in Ireland did) release their expenses, then the argument again becomes void. Yes Jim Higgens failed to do that, he's an idiot, and as such I wouldnt vote for him, doesnt mean I would vote for Ganley, because there were plenty of other MEP's who released their expenses.

3. Finally if you push that your opponents should go above and beyond the legal requirement to show transparency, then using the excuse that you have shown all you are legally required to in relation to your own funding is hyprocritical at least.

Fair comment

• Advertisement

Perhaps you should crawl back into whatever hole you squirmed out of. Ganley has exposed the un-democratic nature of the EU and the deficit that exists between the commission and the people. No wonder the euro-elite are running scared. Voted No. 1 for Ganley and proud to do so.

+1;)

Probably only after Vincent Browne shamed them into doing so.

I know De Rossa had his up before he went on Vincent Browne.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭eamo12

Examples? How about this one - The Irish, Dutch (or was it the Danes?) and French PEOPLE voted NO to Lisbon, but looks like the euro-elite will shove it down our throats anyway, just like they did in the Nice. Need any more?

Examples? How about this one - The Irish, Dutch (or was it the Danes?) and French PEOPLE voted NO to Lisbon, but looks like the euro-elite will shove it down our throats anyway, just like they did in the Nice. Need any more?

You are incorrect. The Dutch and French people voted no to a European Constitution, and then ratified Lisbon according to their constitutional requirements.

The Irish voted no to ratifying Lisbon, and as far as I'm aware the Lisbon treaty has not been ratified by the Irish government. If you have other information on this please provide a link.

Our government is planning to hold a second referendum, as is their right under our constitution. If Libertas want to change internal Irish governmental policy they should be running for the Dáil, and running enough candidates to form a government.

MEP's in Brussels have no business telling our government what it should or shouldn't have referenda on.

So yes please, I need more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

anyone else get the feeling there's just 1 anti-lisbon poster, making new accounts and using one of 3 arguments ad nauseum, disappearing into the woodwork when their BS and attention seeking has been ripped to shreds, blanking their memory and starting again?

he Irish, Dutch (or was it the Danes?) and French PEOPLE voted NO to Lisbon, but looks like the euro-elite will shove it down our throats anyway, just like they did in the Nice. Need any more?

-The dutch and the french voted no to the european constitution not the treaty of lisbon.

-THe treaty is not *forced down our throats* we still have a vote, if the irish people are still against the treaty they will vote no again. As a democracy we have given the government the rights to propose referendums to us, seeing as we voted (less then a year before lisbon) a pro EU government they are fully within their rights and powers to put it to a 2nd referendum.

If the local/european election are to go by, the pro-lisbon parties have predominantly come out on top again (labour, fine gael), the anti-lisbon groups have not down so well. Sinn Fien are down in both areas.

The justification for a 2nd referendum were the poll results after the first referendum showing that the majority of voters were ignorant of the treaty (not stupid, there's a difference).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭USE

Ganley has exposed the un-democratic nature of the EU <...>
    Democracy? Okay.

Statement no. 1: Ganley is against the Treaty of Lisbon.

Agree? Sure you do.

Statement no. 2: The Treaty of Lisbon increases the level of democracy in the EU.

Argumentation:

1. The Treaty of Lisbon will enable EU citizens to participate in the EU's law designing process through petition system. This was not possible earlier.

2. It is oftenly said that EU lacks of democracy, because the only its directly by voters elected institution, EP, has too little powers. So the Treaty of Lisbon increases those powers:
    The new treaty has boosted its [EP] powers as regards lawmaking, the EU budget and approval of international agreements.
    Source.
    The members of the European Parliament are elected by direct universal suffrage every five years to represent the citizens of the member countries. Parliament's powers have been gradually extended with every new treaty. The Treaty of Lisbon is no exception, giving more powers in relation to lawmaking, budget and international agreements.

Lawmaking: the 'co-decision procedure' (renamed 'ordinary legislative procedure') has been extended to several new fields. This means that Parliament now has the same degree of lawmaking power as the Council in some areas where it used to be merely consulted or not involved at all. These areas include legal immigration, penal judicial cooperation (Eurojust, crime prevention, alignment of prison standards, offences and penalties), police cooperation (Europol) and some aspects of trade policy and agriculture. From now on, then, Parliament will have a role to play in almost all lawmaking.

Budget
    : the new treaty confirms the established practice of working with a multiannual financial framework, which Parliament will have to approve in future. It also abolishes the current distinction between 'compulsory' expenditure (like direct income support to farmers) and 'non-compulsory' expenditure, with the result that Parliament and the Council will determine all expenditure together. This innovation creates a new balance between the two institutions when approving the EU's budget.

International agreements: under the Treaty of Lisbon, the European Parliament's assent will be required for all international agreements in fields governed by the ordinary legislative procedure.
    Source (you will find more there).

Feel free to watch this video, The EU Parliament and the Traty of Lisbon:

Therefore we can make a simple conclusion: if you want to say Yes to democracy, you will say Yes to Lisbon.

But it seems that Ganley does not care about democracy at all, further more, while acting against this treaty he prevents bringing more democracy :rolleyes:
    DeVore wrote: »
    The guy who runs Politics.ie is the Libertas campaign manager (or similar title).

DeV.
    I was deleted from Politics.ie, but I don't know why. I was defending the treaty there, but no unethical posts were writen. Maybe because I am not from Ireland?

Or... is this their lack of democracy. I wasn't allowed to register in the UKIP forum, because of my nickname, which has included EU in it (nothing unethical, again).

In this context, people (or organizations) who talk a lot about democracy does not look definable by this definition by themselves.

I won't comment on France and the Netherlands, because this is your mistake of a fact, but Irelanders will vote again because they will vote for the new conditions of the treaty. I'm referring to the guarantees Ireland will get. Another point for voting again would be themajor argument in the previous referendum - lack of knowledge about the treaty. I don't think this is the sensible way to shape the future of half a billion EU citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

. The Treaty of Lisbon will enable EU citizens to participate in the EU's law designing process through petition system. This was not possible earlier.

2. It is oftenly said that EU lacks of democracy, because the only its directly by voters elected institution, EP, has too little powers. So the Treaty of Lisbon increases those powers:

the first is window dressing nonsense.

the second is even scarier. in general the increase in democracy at european parliament level entails a reduction in democracy at the national level. The ep gets about 35% voter turnout because people dont care about that corrupt parliament and even then the 35% are voting locally - i.e. for Fine Gael not knowing the party that FG aligns with in the EP, the leader of that party, or it's policies. nor do papers cover that corrupt tower of babel. there is no transparency, accountability, or light shone on the EP. it needs to go. run europe with a council of ministers from the accountable parliaments.

The guy who runs Politics.ie is the Libertas campaign manager (or similar title).

funnily enough the admin of the british democracy forum is a libertas candidate...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭USE

asdasd wrote: »
    the first is window dressing nonsense.
    You know, usual stuff. Coming and saying anything what's on your mind, arguments are not necessary :)

But let me tell you again:
    European citizens can <...> take part in the political process of the EU. <...> the citizens' initiative, whereby one million citizens, from any number of member countries, will be able to ask the Commission to present a proposal in any of the EU's areas of responsibility. The practical details of this initiative will be worked out once the Treaty of Lisbon takes effect.

The new treaty also recognises the importance of consultation and dialogue with associations, civil society, workers and employers, churches and other non-denominational organisations.
    Source.
    asdasd wrote: »
    the second is even scarier. in general the increase in democracy at european parliament level entails a reduction in democracy at the national level. The ep gets about 35% voter turnout because people dont care about that corrupt parliament and even then the 35% are voting locally - i.e. for Fine Gael not knowing the party that FG aligns with in the EP, the leader of that party, or it's policies. nor do papers cover that corrupt tower of babel. there is no transparency, accountability, or light shone on the EP. it needs to go. run europe with a council of ministers from the accountable parliaments.
    No matter, if I don't agree with you, there is no statement, that contradicts me - the Treaty of Lisbon will increase powers of EP. A fact that means more democracy.

Easy and simple ;)

Advertisement