Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganley looking good in Early Tallies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

which ones you looking at?

I got a bottle of vodka ready to knock back in sadness or joy and just need to go ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ah looking a few been posted elsewhere, but the signs are that he is well gone

Galway radio:

Pat the Cope -110,000
    Jim Higgins -108,000
    Marian Harkin -107,000
    Declan Ganley -77,000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

This is on politics.ie and attributed to Galway Bay FM.

Tally figures following the distribution of McLaughlin's,Mooney's,O'Reilly's and lesser candidates show the following,according to GBFM'S Reporter at the count centre:
    Pat the Cope -110,000
    Jim Higgins -108,000
    Marian Harkin -107,000
    Declan Ganley -77,000

On the TV3 news today, he said that the Libertas tallies showed that he had a good chance of winning the seat... he must have been lying. It was about 5/6pm, he must have known the truth from his own tally people.

But why lie? The simplest reason I can think of is that he wanted to put on a brave and confident face for the voters that might be watching across the EU today.

The thing is though, his confident tone of delivering what I think he knew to be untrue reminded me of how he talks about Lisbon.

I'm glad he's not going to get a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

edanto wrote: »
    This is on politics.ie and attributed to Galway Bay FM.

Tally figures following the distribution of McLaughlin's,Mooney's,O'Reilly's and lesser candidates show the following,according to GBFM'S Reporter at the count centre:
    Pat the Cope -110,000
    Jim Higgins -108,000
    Marian Harkin -107,000
    Declan Ganley -77,000

On the TV3 news today, he said that the Libertas tallies showed that he had a good chance of winning the seat... he must have been lying. It was about 5/6pm, he must have known the truth from his own tally people.

But why lie? The simplest reason I can think of is that he wanted to put on a brave and confident face for the voters that might be watching across the EU today.

Good point - that probably explains the ongoing Libertas spinning on p.ie (that and reality denial, presumably).

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

So do we have exit polls or tallies from any other parts of Europe where Libertas might be in with a chance? In the (I now hope) unlikely event that Ganley gets elected what are the chances that he will have any Libertas company in the back row of the EP? Even if he is elected, what are the chances that he and/or Libertas will have any sort of influence in goings-on there and who might they align themselves with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

cornbb wrote: »
    So do we have exit polls or tallies from any other parts of Europe where Libertas might be in with a chance? In the (I now hope) unlikely event that Ganley gets elected what are the chances that he will have any Libertas company in the back row of the EP? Even if he is elected, what are the chances that he and/or Libertas will have any sort of influence in goings-on there and who might they align themselves with?

I think a more pertinent question is what will become of his 'Libertas' colleagues who are elected in his absence, I suspect they will rather quickly drop the brand and sign up to Ind/Dem where they belong.

I wait with excitement to see their homepage tomorrow.

Or will they simply shut it down?

The facebook page will probably disapear too.

One Libertas MEP will probably be elected in France but no sign of any other candidates being returned elsewhere, according to RTE :D this is great, I can't wait to hear Ganley's bullsh*t after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

They were saying on RTE that they look to get 1 seat in France. Although that is an existing MEP getting reelected. He joined Libertas with 2 other MEPs, who appear to be loosing their seat. No other positive results for them.

So as it stands Ganleys ideas of getting over 100 Libertas MEPs was off by at least 99.:pac:

• Advertisement

Dinner wrote: »
    They were saying on RTE that they look to get 1 seat in France. Although that is an existing MEP getting reelected. He joined Libertas with 2 other MEPs, who appear to be loosing their seat. No other positive results for them.

So as it stands Ganleys ideas of getting over 100 Libertas MEPs was off by at least 99.:pac:

Snap ;)

I can't wait to hear Ganley's bullsh*t after this.

I can't wait till I don't have to hear it anymore...

I can't wait till I don't have to hear it anymore...

Yeah, I meant to say I'll enjoy the very last bit of it. Fingers crossed anyway. I hope he'll F-off after this.

Only 18k for Raymond O'Malley in Ireland East. Excellant. Childers, McGuinness and Aylward elected by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Only 18k for Raymond O'Malley in Ireland East. Excellant. Childers, McGuinness and Aylward elected by the looks of it.

yah was watching news there, great stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ionix5891 wrote: »
    yah was watching news there, great stuff
    Where will those 18K go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Where will those 18K go?

dunno even combined with SF's 2 candidates i don't think it be enough on quick count

Only 18k for Raymond O'Malley in Ireland East.

Matt Cooper, Vincent Brown et al will have a lot of soul searching to do regarding the amount of publicity they heaped on the likes of O'Malley and Simmons over other no-hoper independents.

Mind you I'm not complaining too much, idiots that they are they probably hindered the Chairman more than they helped him.

And a pathetic showing for Simons too. Only 13.5k of first prefs. Hope they get the North West results up soon.

70,638 for ganley - 84813 harkins 80093 higgins, 82,643 Gallagher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

1st Count
    Mooney(FF) on 42k and O'Reilly(FG) on 37K and O'Keefe(Lab) on 28K. Looks like he won't get in.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

And a pathetic showing for Simons too. Only 13.5k of first prefs. Hope they get the North West results up soon.
    I know in the scheme of things it's a poor showing, but I still can't get my head around it:

How, in the name of hell, did thirteen and a half thousand people think that voting for that woman was a good idea?

The mind boggles.

Caroline Simons is officially out anyway according to RTE.

damnit people stop talking behind my back!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If he doesn't win a seat and other libertas members in the EU do will he resign his leadership I wonder.

RTE reporting that Libertas may seek a recount as they were not happy at the way the ballot boxes were opened. Expecting an announcement soon :rolleyes:

Ganley not happy with how the ballot boxes were opened. Hasn't officially asked for anything yet, but could ask for a recount.

Thats nice of him.

EDIT: Dammit corn, again!

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If he doesn't win a seat and other libertas members in the EU do will he resign his leadership I wonder.

It's looking like it'll only be Philippe de Villiers in France, and I would imagine he'll drop the Libertas brand like une pomme du terre chaud :pac:

lol :)

Let him ask for his recount, throwing his money around and engaging in litigation aren't going to make him look very good, hopefully they would be the last nails in the coffin of his public life.

Ganley got much more votes than Polls had suggested, very surprised, although perhaps the no to Lisbon vote went with him.

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    Ganley got much more votes than Polls had suggested, very surprised, although perhaps the no to Lisbon vote went with him.

14.3% of first prefs according to RTE, as opposed to 9% according to the polls. I guess its a bit of a gap but not a huge one?

Advertisement