Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of the Ahern "dynasty"

Options
  • 06-06-2009 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

With Maurice Ahern gone in the bye election and in danger in the locals have people finally woke up to the cod these people are ?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Lorcan 17 wrote: »
    With Maurice Ahern gone in the bye election and in danger in the locals have people finally woke up to the cod these people are ?.

Sadly not! There are still some not so bright people who voted for the elder Brudder! I would have expected more of a Cyprian Brady support.

I wonder if Cantona is disappointed with the result....:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I really hope so.

Great news for the council elections! It seems that Mary Fitzpatrick is absolutely hammering Maurice Ahern at 26% with Ahern only on a paltry 8%. Unemployment hits home.

Yes, bye bye Aherns!

Brilliant stuff, Mary! Revenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Ahern name is now finished and when the tribunal reports don't be surprised if the nail is put in the coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Great news. Well done to the voters there.
    Maurice Ahern was a shocking candidate in my opinion, not even as a local candidate :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭sub-x

I'm surprised he even accepted,Mary Hanafin just been on RTE talking about their mandate and the job at hand,just proves once again how out of touch this government is with people.

Who thinks Bertie did more harm to Maurice than good ???

mfitzy wrote: »
    Great news. Well done to the voters there.
    Maurice Ahern was a shocking candidate in my opinion, not even as a local candidate :D

Is that you, Mary? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Heinrich wrote: »
    Sadly not! There are still some not so bright people who voted for the elder Brudder! I would have expected more of a Cyprian Brady support.

I wonder if Cantona is disappointed with the result....:D

Eric Cantona:confused:

I don't get the Cantona reference

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This photo op. Note Cantona's bewildered look.
    On topic I reckon it is, although the punishment FF are getting is probably exaggerating the effect at present. That probably means a loss of two seats in the GE as Brady couldn't get elected if he was the only one running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Eric Cantona:confused:

I don't get the Cantona reference

The Aherns' gatecrashed Eric's movie premierre this week...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

For the good of the country, I hope so. Cowen should be next up for the chop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Well, Bertie may be put up as President. Its already been floated.
    He's already used the unofficial, seemingly self developed titles of Iar Taoseach I believe.

It does get worse.

With regard to my attitude to the Lisbon treaty and democracy - our next 'democratically' appointed commisioner to the EU?

Id say Mary Harney is in the running

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    He's already used the unofficial, seemingly self developed titles of Iar Taoseach I believe.

It does get worse.

With regard to my attitude to the Lisbon treaty and democracy - our next 'democratically' appointed commisioner to the EU?

I'd prefer to just to see him floating, preferably face down twenty miles out to sea.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The end of the Ahern "dynasty"
    Hip Hip Horray
    One would have to wonder if FF would consider doing this given today's results.
    It does get worse.

Mary Harney running?
    *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

'We wouda had it won if ye hadnt put it on dat day...'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lorcan 17

Maurice Ahern must surely have been the worse possible candidate - a 73 year old man with nothing to recommend him other than name recognition . This is an insult to the people of Dublin Central by the Aherns to ask them to vote for him
    On the local front I think we can only guess at the level of nastyness and backstabing these people have directed towards Mary Fitzpatrick so a very sweet victory for her .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Maurice Ahern must surely have been the worse possible candidate - a 73 year old man with nothing to recommend him other than name recognition . This is an insult to the people of Dublin Central by the Aherns to ask them to vote for him
    On the local front I think we can only guess at the level of nastyness and backstabing these people have directed towards Mary Fitzpatrick so a very sweet victory for her .

I would have thought that the FF reasoning behind putting forward Maurice Ahern for election was more to do with not "contaminating" a younger candidate - who might be more successful in a future election - with such a poor result in these elections, given the way it seemed the voting was going to go for FF.

The older brother was asked to step in and take a hit for the party, it's not like they couldn't run a candidate, and someone without the Ahern name recognition might have been really destroyed in the election, which would look even worse for FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Well it shows now what people think of the name, clearly a chancer, a family trait obviously.

Maurice Ahern has lost his Council seat, the Dynasty is dying if not dead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Maurice Ahern must surely have been the worse possible candidate - a 73 year old man with nothing to recommend him other than name recognition .

On a point of order, he is 70 and has been a councillor for 10 years.

Villain wrote: »
    Maurice Ahern has lost his Council seat, the Dynasty is dying if not dead

A dynasty is a succession of rulers who belong to the same family for generations.
    The Aherns have no member of a previous or later generation to be elected to office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Twas a cabal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

One generation a dynasty does not make but hopefully this will dissuade the men in grey suits in FF of the notion that Ahern is the ideal candidate for either the Mayor of Dublin or the presidency.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The papers are suggesting Maurice did win a Council seat but from what I read elsewhere, he didnt. Whats the exact story with Maurice? Was he elected anywhere?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

WeeeEEELL he was and then he wasn't Sully .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    WeeeEEELL he was and then he wasn't Sully .

lol thats exactly how its appearing. Wikipedia says he wasnt, RTEs website seems to suggest he wasnt (unless im missing another area he was running in), but RTE News last night said he did and so does todays Indo.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If the Indo says that hge was elected then you can be fairly sure that he wasn't!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sully wrote: »
    lol thats exactly how its appearing. Wikipedia says he wasnt, RTEs website seems to suggest he wasnt (unless im missing another area he was running in), but RTE News last night said he did and so does todays Indo.

They are ALL correct , he went out LATE last night on a RECOUNT .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They are ALL correct , he went out LATE last night on a RECOUNT .

So he isnt elected? At all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

MikeC101 might be right though, that he was aked to take a hit for the party. But knowing the sheer arrogance of FF these days, and of Bertie himself, maybe they actually did see him as a viable candidate. I don't know alot about Maurice Ahern himself, but the fact he's lost his council seat aswell is probably a combination of the countrywide backlash against FF and the backlash against Bertie who everybody now recognises as an absolute slieveen.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    So he isnt elected? At all?
    Nope he lost his Council seat to SF by 13 votes

Advertisement