Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Consumables Online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I met the guys & gals from the darkroom.co.uk at FOI over the past few years and they're very nice I haven't bought chemicals from them. I do know that a few of the guys have bought chemicals form Gunn's in Wexford St., & Conn's in Dublin. I've bought film from www.7dayshop.com and I've never had a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I buy all my film from 7dayshop.co.uk. Never a problem. Postage is now 5.95 so it pays to make up a reasonably sized order, used to be 7.95. Cheapest place to get film plus they routinely have good deals on short dated and out of date film. Chemicals I get here, either in Gunnes or The Camera Exchange.

As regards the scanner I think for anyone to start suggesting something you're going to have to define both "decent" and also "costs the earth" :D An actual price range of what you're looking to spend is useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭stephenrd

Thanks for the replies

I've just ordered some film from 7dayshop - thanks for the suggestion. I normally buy chemicals in Dublin but just curious to see if anyone had found a good source for such stuff online.

As far as scanners go - my limit is 250 and maybe 300 if the right one came along. I've had an old nikon coolscan for the last few years which has recently died and I'd love to replace it with another one, but that might be out of my price range at the moment. I'm hoping to get something second hand but if that fails i'm happy to buy a brand new one. Oh, and it needs to do medium format...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Stephen

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Cheapest place to get film plus they routinely have good deals on short dated and out of date film.

Speaking of film, anyone want some free film?
    I've just found 9 rolls of 35mm 24exp film.
    8 of them are Kodak Colour Plus ISO 200 and the last 1 is Agfa Vista ISO 200. They are dated 2006 but have been hidden in a cool dark press for a while.
    I don't want to put them in the free section on adverts.ie - I'd rather give them to someone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,532 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I'd be interested. I can't PM you, can you me, please?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

stephenrd wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies

I've just ordered some film from 7dayshop - thanks for the suggestion. I normally buy chemicals in Dublin but just curious to see if anyone had found a good source for such stuff online.

As far as scanners go - my limit is 250 and maybe 300 if the right one came along. I've had an old nikon coolscan for the last few years which has recently died and I'd love to replace it with another one, but that might be out of my price range at the moment. I'm hoping to get something second hand but if that fails i'm happy to buy a brand new one. Oh, and it needs to do medium format...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Stephen

Hmmm. You'd be hard put to find something to match a coolscan for €250. Is it one of the real old (SCSI) coolscans ? or one of the more recent USB ones ? Does it do medium format (8000/9000 or whatever the older version was). I'd be tempted to drop the coolscan into the irish Nikon rep and see if they could fix it up for you. Chances are it'd cost less than 300 depending on what's wrong with it.

Alternatives are probably just to buy as expensive an Epson or Canonscan flatbed as you can afford that scans 35mm and MF film. I don't think anything down around the bottom end of the range has ICE (although I could be wrong). I have a coolscan V for 35mm , and a canonscan 8600 for 120. It does an okay job, nothing approaching the coolscan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,532 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Any ideas?
    The Epson 4490 is going for a reasonable price now, and has digital ICE should you need it. Does 35mm and 120. http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1096141&productID=S2879631
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Advertisement