Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 horse lorries - where are they

Options
  • 06-06-2009 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

For some time now i've been looking for two horse lorries in Ireland and i'm baffled. Sure there are those fancy little ones that are 20 -30k but is that it?

if you go on any uk website you find brilliant nifty little lorries for two horses that can be anywhere between 3 and 5k.

so why didn't ireland get onto this or is it that they are here but noone is selling them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

prob cheaper and easier to run a double horsebox maybe? if i had the choice of double horsebox or 2 horse lorry/van i'd go for the dbl box anyday.

There have been a couple of discussion here about the merits of those double horse lorries versus boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

OP, there's normally an advert in the SJ bulletin and often in the field for an agent for the 2 horse lorries in Ireland. I can't think of her name, i think she may jump on the amatuer circuit though. it might be in today's field if you check out?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Ain't there something to do with tax issue's etc and the driving licence...
    As far as I know most small horse trucks are fitted with a sink etc etc to help circumvent the full C licence requirement.

I could be wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 blueblue

have you tried www.donedeal.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

hi

yeah i've tried all those, to be honest i've given up on getting one because the owners either lie about the weight of them or tell you the weight of say 6 tonne and try to convince you it can be driven on a car licence.

personally i'd much prefer one over a horse box just for the ease of manoeuvering (can't spell) and compactness of the whole thing.

in england you can get really nice ones.

donedeal had a lovely little merc one about two months ago and i contacted and contacted the seller but got no reply. thats another thing that annoys me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Is it the Renault Thule one you mean, they have a large van conversion that looks really nice for two Horses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 eegeet

The Theault isn't a van conversion. They are built as horseboxes from new. They use 2 sheets of aircraft aluminium with high density resin sandwiched between them for lightness and strength. I have been around the Theault factory (very impressive).

The 2 horse van conversions are usually overweight and never as strong.

MTM use the same material as Theault. Another nice little lorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lorraine 1977

Hi, i was just browsing annd seen http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/horses/887919 that may be usefull.

hi ya, yeah seen that one, its 6 tonne though unfortunately!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

eegeet wrote: »
    The 2 horse van conversions are usually overweight and never as strong.

I've heard bad things about the suspension too.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭biomech

Wicked wrote: »
    hi ya, yeah seen that one, its 6 tonne though unfortunately!
    did you contact the seller to get this information?? i have a merc 816 box conversion and its under 6 tonne... carries 5 horses ...

from the seller

do ye think this is under 3.5 tonne?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/horses/946405

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭biomech

should be very close to it......

the man says it is but i'm not sure

Advertisement