Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary teaching jobs - what is the truth????

• 06-06-2009 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hello all,

I am a bit confused about all the info out there about primary teaching in Ireland. I am doing the PGCE in England and have just secured a teaching job!
    I am Irish but am not returning to Ireland for the time being but I would love to hear some opinions on teaching jobs in Ireland because

1. On the news all I hear is cutbacks, cutbacks, cutbacks in education

2. Then I heard they desperately need primary teachers in Ireland but no secondary.

3. Then I heard there was loads of primary jobs in Dublin however my dads friend gave up as she simply couldn t find any work

4. My friend who is working as a teacher in Dublin said the job situation is dire and I should stay in England a few years as at least that will give me some experience when competeing for jobs with fresh graduates.

5. I also heard in Ireland teaching is all about who you know (with the possible exception of Dublin):confused:

What is the real story behind Dublin and teaching? So confused and hearing different things all the time.

Is it a good idea to get a few years in England if you were lucky enough to land a job?
    (By the way in England the job situation is desperate, virtually no primary jobs in the Northwest in any case)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

It's hard to judge the real extent of the cutbacks at this stage but the most likely reality is that there simply won't be enough jobs for new graduates. This is in spite of the fact that it looks like the number of retirements is on the increase this year due to fears that the gratuity payable on retirement will be taxed in the next budget.

The process of attaining a job does have an element of 'who you know' about it but not in every case. I'm based in Cork so I can't speak for the Dublin situation unfortunately. You should try educationposts.com and see if you can get more help there.

Best of luck.

Advertisement