Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock/Metal Documentaries

• 06-06-2009 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

I'm just looking for recommendations on good rock/metal band documentaries. So far I've seen:

Killswitch Engage
    Chimaira
    As I Lay Dying
    Some Kind of Monster
    Anvil
    Mastodon
    Megadeth Behind The Music

and a few others. Has anyone got any good recommendations? All bands considered!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

any of the classic albums series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Metal: A Headbangers Journey is a must see,even for people who don't like the music and are just interested in the scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Spinal Tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Not exactly rock/metal but the greatest music documentary i've ever seen has to be Sigur Rós - Heima

As far as Rock/Metal is concerned you've already mentioned the Mastodon one which I quite liked, If All Goes Wrong from The Smashing Pumpkins was a decent watch.
    Pete Townsend has an interesting bit in it & compares his experiences with Tho Who to SP's path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

Arena: heavy metal documentary from 1988
    Such Hawks Such Hounds is great if you're into stoner rock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Dream+Deceivers:+The+Story+Behind+James+Vance+Vs.+Judas+Priest

Try this it's Dream Deceivers: The Story Behind James Vance Vs. Judas Priest

About the Judas priest trial, I remember being shown this in school in a vain attempt to get us not to listen to metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

The iron maiden ones, the early days i think they're called

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Decline of western civilisation part 1 and part 2.

A good series about two Rush tribute bands.
    Rush: In Rio has a good documentary on the bonus disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

dream theaters documentary, the score so far... well worth watching
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CJZSD5cs5w&feature=PlayList&p=95B16C07ED0A58C7&index=0

a year and a half in the life of metallica, and the vh1 series heavy-the story of metal is brillant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Thanks very much for all the recommendations, keep em coming!

Saw A Headbangers Journey last night and enjoyed it, felt it ended a little abruptly though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Metallimania (low budget, but hilarious)
    Metallica Year and a half...Pt 1 and 2
    Cliff em all (not really a documentary, but decent)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Saw A Headbangers Journey last night and enjoyed it, felt it ended a little abruptly though.

There is a second documentary made by the same lads called Global Metal - I watched it but don't remember much from it. The first one was much better.

I also found "Heavy Metal in Baghdad" a good watch. It's about the first metal band in Iraq, trying to stay together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

HERES A LINK TO BEHIND THE MUSIC, PANTERA ALTHOUGH SMALL WARNING THEY HAVE CLIPS OF DIMES MURDER ON IT.. BUT ITS A GOOD WATCH

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/jyiTGxng-sY/

Oh yeah,the new Black Dahlia Murder documentary is hilarious even if you don't like the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Oh yeah,the new Black Dahlia Murder documentary is hilarious even if you don't like the band.

Yeah saw that the other night, was in stitches!! Very entertaining and they're making another one too so can't wait to see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

The newest cannible corpse dvd is one of the best ive seen by far. I dont even like the band bar a few songs but a mate o mine made me watch it. Brilliant stuff.

Also you mentioned you seen chimaira, just make sure youve watched both the dehuminizing process and the making of resurrection. Both brilliant, especially the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

The BBC showed an excellent series recently called The seven ages of rock chronicling rock and roll from its begining up to modern day.

Watched global metal last night,I thought it was almost as good as Headbangers Journey but the second half got really dark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

Metal: A Headbangers Journey is a must see,even for people who don't like the music and are just interested in the scene.
    The iron maiden ones, the early days i think they're called

I agree with both of the above. They're awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Just tried to watch the score dvd on youtube, got as far as chapter 5 and then the rest were removed for copyright claims......SICKENER :(.

Advertisement