Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X Marks the Spot...

• 06-06-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

I've started looking more closely at visual metaphors in Photo Blogs.

Do the rest of you use them?

All week the BBC used nautical metaphors along the river Thames to mirror the events in Parliament.

I've used a piece of sculpture to reflect the crossroads society seems to be at in Europe at the moment:

http://moderntwist2.blogspot.com/2009/06/what-difference-year-makes.html#links

Let's have some fun.

Metaphors for our times to be posted here, please...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

X is rather timely with the elections. I know where there is an X - just have to capture it.

X as in X on the voting paper (albeit we don't use X's but many people will still do put X on the ballot paper) or X as in Incorrect - the way some people will feel about the socioeconomic situation withing the country.

Hmnnnn. X as a theme - if only I had my camera at the polling station yesterday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

X+Y = Z? :D

I'm just not arty enough to think of metaphors - ya pretty much have to spell things out for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    X is rather timely with the elections. I know where there is an X - just have to capture it.

X as in X on the voting paper (albeit we don't use X's but many people will still do put X on the ballot paper) or X as in Incorrect - the way some people will feel about the socioeconomic situation withing the country.

Hmnnnn. X as a theme - if only I had my camera at the polling station yesterday :rolleyes:

I've taken a rest from making new photos as I have a backlog from February and March when I literally seemed to be welded to my camera.

I think there is some legal issue about photographing around polling stations so I left my camera at home yesterday. There was a lively turnout but not much to engage the eye.

I think the economy is about to liven up a bit again. We can't join all the negative thinking and it's a question of just finding new ways of thinking and developing new business ideas.

Perhaps keeping our eyes peeled for signs of new business activity would keep spirits up?

mrmac wrote: »
    X+Y = Z? :D

I'm just not arty enough to think of metaphors - ya pretty much have to spell things out for me!

You seem to be pretty much up to speed with your equations...

Could be useful as a theme for a mathematical set of photos.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Anouilh wrote: »

I think the economy is about to liven up a bit again.

The last line in the link of your OP says "recessions really are hilarious". Would the economy livening up again dampen your spirits?

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    The last line in the link of your OP says "recessions really are hilarious". Would the economy livening up again dampen your spirits?

Oh, I was just trying to be a tiny bit controversial, which is not really my usual brief. The last recession was truly comical as I had two jobs and still no money. That sort of experience tends to develop a keen sense of humour.

In fact, nothing seems to dampen my spirits.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anouilh/2977221837/

Ebullience rules.

Advertisement