Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny local elections

Options
  • 06-06-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

How the hell have FF retained 3 out of 4 seats in the Letterkenny area local elections? (its looking like it at the moment) Can anyone tell me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

How the hell have FF retained 3 out of 4 seats in the Letterkenny area local elections? (its looking like it at the moment) Can anyone tell me?

That is Donegal for you. Vote for the party in power, then complain endlessly about how the county is neglected. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

People in Donegal=small-minded and fail to see the bigger picture.Plus voter apathy there is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

People in Donegal=small-minded and fail to see the bigger picture.Plus voter apathy there is staggering.
    Why dont you go and troll somewhere else.

Id imagine its because they received the most votes.

That is Donegal for you. Vote for the party in power, then complain endlessly about how the county is neglected. :(
    Its far from exclusive to Donegal or are you going to go round every county forum and post the same.

muffler wrote: »
    Why dont you go and troll somewhere else.
    I live in Donegal and very few people I know are bothering to vote,and those that too are voting Fianna Fail because they always have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nmg-lky

just listening to highland there. good point made, people voted more for the person rather than the party. I'm glad brogan and larkin are back in. I'm no way connected to any party but in my opinion they have done well for the town.

loveissucide, who would you of prefered to get in Josie Murray!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Maybe its got something to do with the fact that Fianna Fail have done the most for this town over the past ten odd years, than the other parties put together!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

People who don't vote = small-minded and fail to see the bigger picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nmg-lky

Maybe its got something to do with the fact that Fianna Fail have done the most for this town over the past ten odd years, than the other parties put together!!!

Well said!

Id imagine its because they received the most votes.

Its far from exclusive to Donegal or are you going to go round every county forum and post the same.

Are you posting as a Mod or an ordinary member?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

I'm thinking: 'If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got'. And that can be read whatever way a body likes to fit the circumstances. Some people are happy, some are not.
    The majority of those who voted (and there's the obvious decider) clearly don't want a change. Similarly, those who don't like the status quo and stayed at home yesterday actually DID vote by default to maintain it!
    I know it appears as if I'm just stating the obvious, but I'm amazed at the non-voters I've spoken with who imagine they have registered their disapproval by spoiling or not using their vote.

Are you posting as a Mod or an ordinary member?
    Just for you Im posting as a mod.

lol:pac::pac::pac:

LOL

tongue-smiley-8866.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

You are very tetchy today. :)

Disappointed how well FF did.I just don't get some people.

I didn't vote for any party - I just voted for the candidates, I felt, did or could do, a decent job.

Have to agree there mrmac, whatever time someone someone other than a FF candidate does something that helps me or a family member, i'll concider them. As mrmac says the party they run with is immaterial, its the strength of the individual thats counts really!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Disappointed how well FF did.I just don't get some people.

Well local councillors didn't actually create loose financial regulations that screwed the banking sector. Voting ABFF (anybody but FF) simply to send a message to or punish the government instead of voting for someone you know personally as a capable local representative is childish imo.

But the party hasn't done enough for the county.If we complain for all eternity about a lack of investment and then keep voting for the same party nothing's gonna change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

It's a shame really. All of the main political parties (both government and opposition) are going to continue to treat Donegal like ****e because the electorate there don't play politics. Any government regardless of their composition, need not divert resources or worry about Donegal because they just return the same party again and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

For the last three elections, I have been registered to vote in two different electoral areas... Yesterday I voted in two different locations ;)

I brought my 12 yo into the polling hall with me, and allowed her to pick my 4, 5 & 6 choices! I've done this the last two elections. Trying to get her to understand the value of her vote (when she gets it), and make her aware of local politics.

I was pleasently surprised by her knowledge for this election.

However, I did end up voting for one candidate - cause they had a nice smiley face, and didn't vote for another because they "look like Nosferatu!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

m1ke wrote: »
    It's a shame really. All of the main political parties (both government and opposition) are going to continue to treat Donegal like ****e because the electorate there don't play politics. Any government regardless of their composition, need not divert resources or worry about Donegal because they just return the same party again and again.

I really wish I didn't agree with this, but I do! There's no need to appease, please or woo a sector of the population who will always vote the same way regardless of how badly the party performs nationally. Politics is a game of parties and the squeaky wheel principle only works when there's something to gain or lose :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

But the party hasn't done enough for the county.If we complain for all eternity about a lack of investment and then keep voting for the same party nothing's gonna change.

That's not true. We did get a bridge to nowhere.

That's not true. We did get a bridge to nowhere.

lol, well how else does micky and jinny get to bingo in carrigart from tawny every wednesday night. Sorry back to topic now!

:confused:

I'm hoping the nationals show a little more anger over how we've been treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Fianna fail came first in letterkenny but not in stranorlar, glenties, inishowen or donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Why cut off you nose to spite your face? If your local councillor is very hard working but happens to be FF, would you really ignore him/her at the polling station? Only a fool would do so. I would tend to lean to FG but I gave my no. 1 to a FF.

oh and i know of friends of ff no.1 man in letterkenny, bringing the intellectually impaired, up to the polling station to vote, think about that one!!
    That happens everwhere and by all parties. In my area of Dublin, the Labour Party went out of their way this time to assist 'impaired' people to the polling stations.

Advertisement