Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Take out seats and turn them around to face one another in a people carrier?

• 06-06-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

Thinking of getting rid of my transit, which I've used off and on as a camper van , and maybe getting an mpv of some kind. Anyone have any experience removing first row of passenger seats and turning them round to face the last row?

Is it easy , any tips?

Also any recommendations on an mpv, budget is €5500 max.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It should be a case of 4 bolts but beware of a few things. Any wiring looms going to the seats for pre-tensioners, occupancy mats will need to be twisted 180 degrees, and may cause airbag lights to come on in time. The seatbelts may not align correctly with the new seat position, and if you have head airbags/side airbags in the rear, they will effectively be useless as the passenger position will have changed.

Plus, and this is a biggie, if you've kids, they'll be constantly getting carsick from being rear facing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Certain ones can do it without mods. The only one I have experience of is the Espace, the seats rotate. The Renault site gives overhead views of how it works.
    http://www.renault.ie/vehicles/espace/espace_design_seating.asp

On the seatblets etc, the Espace has them built into the seats, I'd imagine anythign that would take the seat convertion would have to be the same.

I'd imagine that for similar set ups with other manufacturers you'd be in thefull size MPV brakcet too. SO the likes of the Galaxy/Alhambra etc.I had a VW multivan as a hire last year in Germany that did it too, but as far as I know they are crazy money , so might not be a runner depending when they started doing them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hyundai Trajet has front swiveling seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

VW Caravelle?

Swift66 wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience removing first row of passenger seats and turning them round to face the last row?

you don't mean the middle row of seats do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote: »

Thats what I took it to mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

colm_mcm wrote: »

Aye, front row of passenger seats, or the second row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Aye, front row of passenger seats, or the second row.

Why ?.....as mentioned, are a regular source of carsickness, for me (even on the train.......)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

galwaytt wrote: »
    Why ?.....as mentioned, are a regular source of carsickness, for me (even on the train.......)

You're asking me?

I don't know, but I presume since the OP has mentioned camper van, it probably has something to do with when they are stopped, putting in a table etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Swift66

Exactly that Limerick man, its for somewhere comfy to sit and read /watch a movie, when its pissing down outside, not for while driving.

Also wondered if anyone knows if any older mpv seats can fold down into a makeshift bed base.

What ever happened to old style, couch/booth type seats, this shaped racing driver nonsense is only comfy if your a midget (same on new trains - dart). and you can't sit across them comfortably.

• Advertisement

the Caravelle's seats make a bed. they also swivel, slide etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The previous model Ford Galaxy came with something called "Captain's Seats" in the Ghia spec as an option AFAIK.
    Instead of 3 seats in the second row, there were two. These could be swivelled 180 degrees to face the rear seats.

thinkin back to the Apprentice, the new Espaces have rear facing seats that can be used when the car is in motion while you're annoyingly talking into a mobile phone that's on speakerphone.

Advertisement