Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DKIT for Mature Students

Options
  • 06-06-2009 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to freak out a bit because in Sept. I'll be going in to a class with mostly school leavers.
    I'm late 20's, which isn't exactly 'mature' but given that when I was doing my LC, the majority of people in my class would've been in primary school.
    Just wondering if there's any other mature that've been or are going to DKIT and what they think or how they got on? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

fifomania wrote: »
    I'm starting to freak out a bit because in Sept. I'll be going in to a class with mostly school leavers.
    I'm late 20's, which isn't exactly 'mature' but given that when I was doing my LC, the majority of people in my class would've been in primary school.
    Just wondering if there's any other mature that've been or are going to DKIT and what they think or how they got on? Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it too much, every course in DKIT has at least a handful of mature students and with the recession I can see there being an increase in the number of mature students.

DKIT also has a mature students society which is very well run, meets up every week and also organises events throughout the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Waiting to hear from them at the moment. If I get the place you can come to my 40th;)

It'll be strange for me too, I've taught college classes but never sat in a class full of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lolo26

I'm a maure student in DKIT doing Midwifery. I'm 26 and like yourself was a bit worried that I'd be surrounded by a bunch of 17 year olds and feel a bit left out! Luckily though there are 5 mature students in my class, everyone one of them lovely and there's one girl the same age as me and we get on brilliantly. Some of the girls that came straight from school are really mature for their age and we all have a great laugh together. It's not mature students on one side and leaving certs on the other or anything like that....although it was sort of for the first couple of weeks! You'll be grand. Look forward to making new friends of all ages! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

hi there, was in the same position as yourself last september.
    im a 25 yr old male, and was starting off in dkit. im originally from the west, so was completely new to the area.(found the accents a bit strange for a while too!)
    my advice, dont worry bout it at all. im in a class of 40 or so, theres about 4 mature students and the rest school leavers. you will get to know the mature folks easily enough as they are in the exact same position as yourself. and after a few days, the school leavers will be over chatting away to you, asking for advice on everything and anything. i found the lecturers there very accomodating too, if u need any help/advice you can ask them before/during/after a lecture.
    then theres various clubs and societies, admittedly i joined loads but didnt go to many of them in the finish, but they are a handy way to meet new faces.
    best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Thanks for those replies, suppose I shouldn't worry about it so much, it's just all so new! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 blackpaddy

fifomania wrote: »

hiya am a mature student going to dkit in sept too,am sure they are programmes in place where you ll know the mature students in your class,am just not thinkin of it at moment,i ll deal with it when the time comes,am doing applied social care by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

im a mature student at the moment too. trust me you will find loads of them in your class. there is a mature student society in the college if you would like to join during freshers week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dizie

Since last week I know I'll be there, too. I'll be doing add-on honours in film. And Im... past 25 :-). Glad Im not the only mature student in there :-). From my experience though (when I did a bachelor) as soon as you have projects and assessments to do, age doesn't really matter, you become a group of people who has similar aims and challenges to do, so it's quite uniting. I like studying too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 greengal

Starting in DKIT too and I'm a 'mature' student..Well i'm only early 20's and feel like I could end up piggy in the middle so to speak..too old for the school leavers and too young for the REAL mature students..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

greengal wrote: »
    Starting in DKIT too and I'm a 'mature' student..Well i'm only early 20's and feel like I could end up piggy in the middle so to speak..too old for the school leavers and too young for the REAL mature students..

I was 22 when I went back to college and I fitted in fine with both groups, you'll be fine :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 blackpaddy

greengal,i hope you went to the mature students orientation day,it helped me deal with the gap on both ends,am in d same boots as you and i am going for it,come on go and enjoy love.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

i was 24 when i started last year. the age gap is barely even noticed as there is people from 17 to nearly 40 in my course. u meet all kinds of people who will have the exact same worries as yourself. a week later it'l be second nature to you to chat to anyone and everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Its how you treat people , that's what it all comes down too. Dont treat the younger people in your class like kids , treat them like adults and you will get their respect and you will sail through the year. This year will see the largest intake in mature students ever in DkIT . I was working last week doing tours etc and i couldn't get over the amount of mature students there is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

yeah i agree with the above posts and ive been thinking the same thing my class/year, its small theres about 20 in my class and maybe 2-2 other mature students. Its a bit weird as im in first year too and in my late 20's. I been to the college before (6 years ago) as a mature student and got a certificate in computing. I dropped out before due to problems with depression anxiety and social phobia just not being able to cope really.

Ive gotten counciling since last october which has improved my life greatly. I can now talk to to anyone or ask lectures questions without that sick feeling in my stomach i used to always get. Ive been unemployed since 2006 and really not gotten anywhere that i wanted to be till i dealt with the issues i had. I feel much stronger as a person now and i enjoy each day at college. Through our timetable could be improved i.e 3-4 hour breaks between lectures.

Advertisement