Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which English questions did you do?

Options
  • 06-06-2009 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Just wondering which questions everyone did on the most talked about leaving cert paper ever!

Which Questions did you do? 288 votes

Macbeth (i) - Consequences of Macbeth murdering Duncan
    0%
    Macbeth (ii) - Ingredients of compelling drama
    25%
    PisteAntamojoMongeyBLARGJelloHQvhschallengemastercorkarcherDáireMspoonbadgerironclawRed CrowFringeCyberWasteJam-FlyGERMAN ROCKSxOxSinéadxOxhappydayz182Jay PGA361 73 votes
    Comparative (A) - Theme or Issue
    11%
    marshmallowmoneymanAisling(",)tootyfluttyDuffman'05LivingDeadGirlphasersjefreywithonefaido179Beau x1Red CrowSaruwatariGavin "shels"RetroRainbowStev_oGaryBhaloautoImJohnlorr3coffey-16 34 votes
    Comparative (B) - Cultural Context
    9%
    tootyfluttychallengemastercorkarcherJack Sheehanaido179DáireMspoonbadgerironclawRed CrowJam-FlyGaryBMr MaroonsuperLeetiveDantenotGillMax Power1yummy91Reilly616Extrasuperveryheeereees-jonny 26 votes
    Poetry (1) - Derek Walcott
    29%
    PisteAntamojomarshmallowMongeymoneymanAisling(",)BLARGDuffman'05RameyJelloHQvhsLivingDeadGirlphasersjefreywithonefBeau x1Red CrowFringeSaruwatariCyberWasteGavin "shels" 86 votes
    Poetry (2) - John Keats
    8%
    PistemoneymanHQvhscorkarcherRed CrowFringeRetroRainbowhaloautoImJohnDDC1990dermo1990-ME-LucetMax Power1internetaddictya-ba-da-ba-doophicExtrasuperveryheeereees-jonnytazbars 25 votes
    Poetry (3) - John Montague
    10%
    AntamojomarshmallowtootyfluttyLivingDeadGirljefreywithonefciano1Beau x1spoonbadgerironclawRed CrowStev_oJay PGA361leesmom[Deleted User]smndlyBlindedByGIngeMindkillerDanteDes23 29 votes
    Poetry (4) - Elizabeth Bishop
    5%
    Duffman'05Red CrowGERMAN ROCKS9wetfckx43j5rgTheSpecialOnek8hmMax Power1Homicidal_jesusDmullarIdjitcocomk1louliewanJustin5150mikeyb09Du 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

poetry - bishop
    macbeth- macbeth & Duncan & scotland
    Comp - Cult cont

unprescribed - 1

what impact did this have on you ?

hahaha funniest thing ive ever wrote, put in all the metaphors pathetic fallacy good adjectives and all that crap & then said it gave me a tear in my eye, one of the most melancholic and movingly plaintive poems ive ever read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Poetry (2) - John Keats
    Ooh, good idea! For me, Q1 macbeth, cultural context and walcott :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Compelling drama, Bishop and cultural context ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Macbeth (i) - Consequences of Macbeth murdering Duncan
    Theme or Issue
    Bishop

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭smndly

I did the murder, cultural context and keats... It was a good paper but i would have preferred the original with a simple straight forward question on Deception.

My superintendent was telling me afterwards that he heard on the radio that the back-up paper is written by a different person and the two people writing the papers are not allowed communicate! I dont know if its true but it might explain the the more specific poetry questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

smndly wrote: »
    I did the murder, cultural context and keats... It was a good paper but i would have preferred the original with a simple straight forward question on Deception.

My superintendent was telling me afterwards that he heard on the radio that the back-up paper is written by a different person and the two people writing the papers are not allowed communicate! I dont know if its true but it might explain the the more specific poetry questions.

A simple straightforward thing did come up on deception... The role of betrayal in the plot as an ingredient that made compelling drama and made you want to read on and see how it was resolved..! Somebody needs to learn to read papers o;

As for the thing about the papers being done by other people that is true and was said on the news and on radio constantly, also even if they had been done by the same people what makes you think they'd suddenly break the predicted pattern? Logic peeps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Poetry (2) - John Keats
    smndly wrote: »

Yes. See this http://leaving-cert.net/chill-thyselves-children/
    Tis how i found out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GaryB

I did;

Macbeth - Compelling drama
    Comparative - Theme/Issue Q2
    Bishop
    and Unseen Q2

I prefer the broken up questions, ie comparative broken up into Part (A) 30marks and Part (B) 40 marks, similarly with unseen the 20 marks were broken up half and half Part (A) and (B)

I thought it was an excellent paper with lots of scope in the Macbeth questions, comparative I found handy enough, don't think I wrote enough but comparative is my weak spot, Bishop was a fairly ok question for me and just bull****ed my way through the unseen :)

Glad its over now...well done LCers...you've made Irish educational history....:rolleyes:

Claypigeon wrote: »
    A simple straightforward thing did come up on deception... The role of betrayal in the plot as an ingredient that made compelling drama and made you want to read on and see how it was resolved..! Somebody needs to learn to read papers o;

As for the thing about the papers being done by other people that is true and was said on the news and on radio constantly, also even if they had been done by the same people what makes you think they'd suddenly break the predicted pattern? Logic peeps!

The role of betrayal in the plot would be a good paragraph or two but I'd say the examiner would be looking for more than that for a really good answer such as the intriguing conflict within Macbeth's character. An answer on deception only when there is so much that makes macbeth compelling would be a little laboured.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

I did Macbeth (i), CC -1 for Comparative and rounded off with the JK question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

No option for a different single text?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

There are other single texts?

No option for a different single text?

Sorry!!:o! I dont know what the questions are im afraid. Post which ones you did instead.
    :pac:

phasers wrote: »
    There are other single texts?

^ What he said

I did the same combination as you smndly (that's if you did the first CC question?).

I thought the Keats question was a brilliant one, anyone else agree?

I did the same combination as you smndly (that's if you did the first CC question?).

I thought the Keats question was a brilliant one, anyone else agree?

Yup same CC question!!

I was so happy keats came up! Although i dont think his poetry has a huge amount of abstract ideas - death, love, art. Fairly universal i would have thought but i managed to talk about negative capability which is most definitely abstract! It was a more challenging question but it was very doable. I still took a personal response approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Bishop (about 5 pages)
    Compelling Drama (almost 6 pages)
    Cultural Context (about 5 pages again)

was happy overall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

My Keats questions was class. Man I adored that question so much! Pity the rest of my paper didn't live up to it! :pac: Macbeth, I did the consequences one, it wasn't very good, not terrible though. And I did the first CC question in comparative, it was alright... Overall, a B, may even an A :eek: I definitely don't deserve it though. My comparative study consisted of reading a few of my essays last night, and my Macbeth study was basically non-existant. I cramme t'bits in poetry in the last few days. Still, I'm not complaining, I got very lucky! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Poetry (2) - John Keats
    Did Walcott question but apparently there's no conflict in his work?
    Em.. so why did I write 5A4 pages then?(wasting CC time!)

I don't know..
    Did Cultural Context rushed and single text question on jane eyre.. about social divisions..anyone else do that it seemed a little tooo easy to write about *suspicious*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I wrote my single text on 'Regeneration' by Pat Barker. Macbeth was in my comparative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

did anyone else who did bishop find the question quite difficult? I mean i've never even seen a question like that before! I found it hard because for some reason I chose to disagree with the statement

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lorr3

bishop??? ...mikeglee.. lovely question, she questions life death victims of violence ability of people to overcome trials!! am sure though if ya backed it up then its as valid as agreeing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

^ What he said

Isn't Phasers incredibly defensive about her gender?

(I'm totally with you btw Phasey-Phases. If one more person refers to me as sir.... :mad: )
    mikeglee wrote: »
    did anyone else who did bishop find the question quite difficult? I mean i've never even seen a question like that before! I found it hard because for some reason I chose to disagree with the statement

When I first read it I was like, WTF?
    JUST STYLE?
    But it was grand enough really. When I read that we could like.. do themes and shizz as well.

You can disagree with anything in English, it's usually just easier to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Ok, I did the

Single Text - Macbeth - Ingredients of a compelling drama. (thought it was a lovely question that left it well open to talk about any aspect you wished, although I only talked about the forces of evil, and victory of good over bad).

Comparative - Jane Eyre, Secret Life of Bees and Strictly Ballroom - Theme and issue, thought it was ok, almost a bit too wide, left you free yo talk about anything, but I had my key moments learned off and was set on what to talk about before going in.

Poetry - John Keats - Honestly? Thought it was a horrible question! Abstract ideas in a clear way? Not a slight contradiction there in the question? Ah well I answered and got all my poems mentioned at least once, sort of ran short on time, but not to worry.

Considering the circumstances, it wasn't the worst of papers!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

More than 100% of people did comparative lol. Or else some of you answered twice.. That was silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Compelling drama, Bishop and cultural context ;)

Same, high 5!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Annihilated the first Cultural Context Q and how Macbeth was a silly goose for murdering Duncan.

Was a bit disappointed with 'Cockney' Keats, wasn't really prepared for that question as well as I should have been, he would be my favorite aspect of the whole course..bit disappointed didn't do myself justice..

errlloyd wrote: »
    More than 100% of people did comparative lol. Or else some of you answered twice.. That was silly.

Im not great at maths but im fairly sure it adds up to 100%!! :D

bythewoods wrote: »
    Isn't Phasers incredibly defensive about her gender?

(I'm totally with you btw Phasey-Phases. If one more person refers to me as sir.... :mad: )

Oh....oops... :pac:

And...you're not a guy either?! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Du

Poetry (4) - Elizabeth Bishop
    I'm guessing I'll be one of the very few who did Montegue then

Advertisement