Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abu Dhabi

Options
  • 06-06-2009 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Anyone ever lived in Abu Dhabi? I'm moving there in August to go teaching. Bit anxious at the mo so I would love some tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Showtime!12

Heya I lived in a place 2 hrs out of Abu Dhabi (Ruwais) met a load of great people and had a great experience! Its strange the change in culture and you might miss Ireland at times and the teaching does get to you now and again! Theres an Irish soc in abu dhabi and there'll probably be other teachers from home with you! The weathers unbelievable and you'll have great opp to travel elsewhere during the year! I got to Kenya and Sri Lanka! ENJOY is it Choueifat??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ker09

Yep its Chouifeat. I have a friend actually going to Ruwais. I must tell him that. Don't really know anyone yet going to Abu Dhabi. Really looking forward to it but nervous at the same time. Did u need to get vaccinations or anything before going away? I'm dreading the heat in August! How did u find Ramadan as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Showtime!12

Ara its grand you'll get to now a load of people over there! I went out thinking Id get the chance to ease off the booze for the year but unfortunately it never happened! The Ruwais school is a bit more chilled out than the school in Abu Dhabi but Abu Dhabis great because ya can get decent food/drink and have a way better social life!

I wouldnt worry about any vaccinations I got a few because they were advised but most of the lads over hadnt ne and never heard of anyone getting sick!

ramadam was great coz the schooldays are a lot shorter! Dont take the teaching too serious and youll have a good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ker09

Oh sweet. Sounds good so. No chance of me taking the teaching too seriously. Going over as a spare teacher so apparently I won't be teaching for a bit. I'm sure there will be loadsa people in the same boat as me.
    Cheers for all your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭carefulnow99

just wonderin since there are people here with some experience of the place... would anyone recommend goin over for maybe 2/3 weeks for a break like is this a place you could get a holiday out of?/
    not your average sun holiday i know but i would love to travel to the country get an experience of a different culture any info??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Heya I lived in a place 2 hrs out of Abu Dhabi (Ruwais) met a load of great people and had a great experience! Its strange the change in culture and you might miss Ireland at times and the teaching does get to you now and again! Theres an Irish soc in abu dhabi and there'll probably be other teachers from home with you! The weathers unbelievable and you'll have great opp to travel elsewhere during the year! I got to Kenya and Sri Lanka! ENJOY is it Choueifat??

Jazus ruwais, its not missin Ireland it would be missing civilization full stop, would say blink and you'd miss the place except it can be seen from miles on the odd clear day

I'm working in Abu dhabi at the moment, but commuting from Dubai, its just too expensive to rent down there. the guys are right you will meet loads of people here the ex-pat community is great, there is the Irish Soc and the GAA in Abu Dhabi, but then again you have one of the biggest mixes of nationalities in the world here so you won;t be short on new experiances, for more info on it take a look in expatforum.com under the Dubai section as there are plenty of Abu Dhabi threads on there.

good luck with it ,... shout if you have any questions

Advertisement