Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clocked car

• 06-06-2009 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,
    I just took in my wifes bmw 318 compact into a bmw garage to trade in for a 5 series and we have descovered that her bmw has been clocked by 30,000 miles.
    We bought the car from a girl who bought it from a bmw garage and have all the paper work for the car from new and we have descovered that bmw had it checked before they sold it to the girl they say it was correct milage and we have the document stating this stamped by the bmw garage..
    we have a print of the milage check from today and it is saying that the car had been clocked 2 weeks before bmw checked it so they should have noticed this and technically they sold a car that had been clocked..this is a main bmw dealership..
    do we have any comback with this cause we are now stuck with a car we cant trade in??
    Basically the bmw dealer sold a car they should have knew was clocked to a girl then we bought the car from her and we have all the paperwork to prove they are in the wrong..
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

how do you know it was clocked 2 weeks before bmw checked it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The girl who sold it to you had it checked before she bought it. Then she sold it to you and BMW claim that the mileage is down.
    Sounds like you need to call the girl back!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 deekme

we have a document saying that the bmw garage got the car checked on the 27th july and that the milage was correct and we got a milage check done today and it shows that the car was clocked on the 12th july so bmw garage bought the car after it was clocked by the first owner and so they sold it to the girl already clocked

bmw should have noticed this so are they held responsable for this

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I didn't think that they could date when it was clocked.
    Still, it seems very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

deekme wrote: »
    do we have any comback with this cause we are now stuck with a car we cant trade in??
    You could chase the girl you bought the car from, but not the BMW garage. She could chase the garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

kbannon wrote: »
    I didn't think that they could date when it was clocked.
    Still, it seems very odd.
    i doubt that its possible

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

we have a document saying that the bmw garage got the car checked on the 27th july and that the milage was correct and we got a milage check done today and it shows that the car was clocked on the 12th july so bmw garage bought the car after it was clocked by the first owner and so they sold it to the girl already clocked

Who exactly is telling you that the car was clocked? Usually doesn't it come from previously recorded mileages, like at mot's in the uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

How could they tell you the date it was clocked? Something doesn't add up here..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bmw should have noticed this so are they held responsable for this

i dont think so, you bought it privately and its a case of buyer beware im afraid.

how did you find out that the car was/maybe clocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm very skeptical. BMW wouldn't be able to tell you when the car is clocked, however as you have a compact, I'd wager that one report from one BMW garage is in miles (The car's speedo is in miles), and the other is in kilometers. The print out you've gotten is probably the warranty/service history and the difference in scale could account for it.

Either which way, you bought a car privately, I'm not sure what rights you'll have in this situation, but I hope it does get sorted for you.

ned78 wrote: »
    I'm very skeptical. BMW wouldn't be able to tell you when the car is clocked, however as you have a compact, I'd wager that one report from one BMW garage is in miles (The car's speedo is in miles), and the other is in kilometers. The print out you've gotten is probably the warranty/service history and the difference in scale could account for it.

Either which way, you bought a car privately, I'm not sure what rights you'll have in this situation, but I hope it does get sorted for you.

completely forgot about this changeover, i was looking at a 120d a while ago and this occured in then service book. one garage stamped the service in miles, the next in KM and the next in miles again, got a little confusing!

when your trading in a car the bmw garage do a check on it. It showed that bmw done a check on the car on the 13th july and it had 23,000 miles on the clock.
    but on the 12th may it had 45,000 miles..so it lost 22,000
    i have it here on a print out the bmw garage done for me.
    so the bmw garage sold it either knowing that it had been clocked or they just missed it either way they are in the wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

But the dealer didn't sell you the car, how is it their problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Every BMW garage has a very strict code of conduct, and mileages are read off the key, and fed into a central european wide system when the cars is either being checked, or serviced, or prepared for sale. I would imagine there's more to this story that the OP isn't aware of.

Out of curiosity, is it the same garage, or did one garage read one mileage, and the other read it the second time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thread title changed as you don't know who clocked it.

when your trading in a car the bmw garage do a check on it. It showed that bmw done a check on the car on the 13th july and it had 23,000 miles on the clock.
    but on the 12th may it had 45,000 miles..so it lost 22,000
    i have it here on a print out the bmw garage done for me.
    so the bmw garage sold it either knowing that it had been clocked or they just missed it either way they are in the wrong

no OP, BMW are not in the wrong imo.

anyhow, you bought from a private individual, which im afraid puts you in the wrong for not properly checking out the cars history.

you should spend your time chasing the private individual that you bought the car from, as thats your only hope.

but the time between when you bought it and now hs probably being too long so anything could of happened. unless you can proove that the private indivdual clocked the car and sold the car knowing it was clocked, i dont think you can do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

To be perfectly honest, if you were happy with the car, condition and price, what's the problem? Stop being paranoid, get over your "buyers remorse" and move on. It's a bit weird that somebody would clock a car for the sake of 22 or 30k miles, whichever you reckon it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont fully follow this.
    You are trying to trade this car in.
    When were the previous checks carried out?

DO you mean that the previous owner bought the car with a verified mileage of 22,000 approx. and now BMW are saying that the same car had more mileage even before the girl bought the car? It does sound like BMW have make a **** up if that is the case.
    So if I understand it right, BMW are producing 2 reports, one showing 22,000 miles dated july (2008 I presume) and another recent report with records from may (presuming 2008) showing more miles. If thats the case, I would get down to BMW and tell them to check this out. They may well resolve the mix up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If the miles are incorrect & it is only 20k miles out why not just get the mileage corrected to show the true mileage?
    OK you might lose out a few quid on trade in, pit it down as a lesson learned. OK a lesson that cost a few €s.
    As others have said it is important when buying a car that you ensure everything is in order, especially when buying private.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Expensive lesson alrite. Its not nice at all. Once checked over

a womans merc that she bought off her boss, he'd had it "clocked"

taking 40,000 miles off it before he sold it too her. Needless to say

she wasnt happy. Becareful out there folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

its clocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

OP

There is no point you going after the dealer. Your purchase contract is with the private person not the garage. They wont even entertain you and are right to do so.

You must track down the person who you purchased the car to and see what happenes from there.

IMO You will get nowhere, go trade the car in a non bmw garage.But beware if you dont inform them or any other purchaser from now on. You will be in the sh!t.

Advertisement