Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I feel like I'm going to fail OL Irish 99%

Options
  • 06-06-2009 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Okay, well. I am terrible at Irish. I never did any in primary school give or take and I've lacked it all up through secondary school, bad teachers.. etc.

I didn't show up for the oral, yeah, I know.. Hopeless. Can't believe I didn't now, but I was sick at the time and I guess I could put it off because I was dreading it.

I need to pass Irish for my first choice, but I'm finding it really rough. I've got a letter and conversation learnt off for paper1, I can answer the questions easily to part 2, but I'm still not sure if I can get it.

What do you suggest I do? There are 150 marks from the oral that I already lost(probably wouldn't of gotten any anyways:(), there are 120 marks going for listening, 220 for paper1 and 110 for paper2. I have paper1 covered as much as I can, and I've got nothing for paper2, even though I really feel like I need it but school is over and I have zero notes on anything and I'm just worried I really will fail it, esp since I can't form an Irish sentence.

Help? Anything is good, thanks a lot for reading.:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

look through your irish book/an online exam site and jot down some ready-made phrases from them.then learn them off by heart since u say you cant compose them yourself.tha way you can make up passages out of these learnt of passages.if you really want to pass you'll spend all day and tomorow doing that. I know how you feel about patchy education.i moved around alot when i was a kid so the irish i was taught was very fragmented,plus i briefly lived in the countryside and their pronounciation of words are different than up here!
    You CAN pull urself up in grades enough to pass between now and the exam.But i reccomend you dont leave your room until its time to walk out the door to do the exam.Get plenty of rest too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

i have no words of consolation i'm afraid except have a scooch around www.qualifax.ie for courses that don't require a pass in irish and put a few on your CAO change of mind form before the end of the month.

Like with some of the course requirements its a pass in irish OR english

out of the 450 marks remaining you need (according to countdown to 306) 228 marks (38%) to pass

228 out of 450 is a D1 so don't lose hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ramey

Jade182 wrote: »
    look through your irish book/an online exam site and jot down some ready-made phrases from them.then learn them off by heart since u say you cant compose them yourself.tha way you can make up passages out of these learnt of passages.if you really want to pass you'll spend all day and tomorow doing that. I know how you feel about patchy education.i moved around alot when i was a kid so the irish i was taught was very fragmented,plus i briefly lived in the countryside and their pronounciation of words are different than up here!
    You CAN pull urself up in grades enough to pass between now and the exam.But i reccomend you dont leave your room until its time to walk out the door to do the exam.Get plenty of rest too though.

Thanks :). Finding the constant study pretty exhausting! Not too bad though. Thanks again.

Ramey, I have to say I'm in pretty much the same situation as you.

I've always despised Irish, never gave it time at all, until this year that is (I'm repeating, partly because of Irish).

I did the oral earlier in the year though. I just learned off about a dozen passages and spouted them out on the day.

Paper one won't be too bad, hopefully. I've learned off a few short stories, and I've learned how to adapt them to fit pretty much anything. I'm doing the letter as my other part: that'll be a lot trickier as I've only learned an opening and an ending, I'll have to make up the beginning on the day (which is very hard when you can't string a sentence together).

I'm in the same boat as you for paper two, I'm completely screwed for it. I don't have a clue what the hell to right, although I've a grind for it Monday night so that might help.

Likewise, I can tell that the aural is going to be a disaster.

Best thing to do is to learn some general responses to poetry or something for paper 2 I'd say, anyway.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for ya buddy, because I know how it feels, as I'm in the exact same boat as you. Good luck with it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Ramey wrote: »
    Thanks :). Finding the constant study pretty exhausting! Not too bad though. Thanks again.

No problem. And hey,I'd tell you to take a walk in the sunshine before you studied as that helps me when I'm brain-tired...but I wouldn't walk out into that torrential rain if I were you....:eek:...so just do a few laps of your room instead :) I'm sure you'll do fine in your exams. Chin up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ramey

pathway33 wrote: »
    i have no words of consolation i'm afraid except have a scooch around www.qualifax.ie for courses that don't require a pass in irish and put a few on your CAO change of mind form before the end of the month.

Like with some of the course requirements its a pass in irish OR english

out of the 450 marks remaining you need (according to countdown to 306) 228 marks (38%) to pass

228 out of 450 is a D1 so don't lose hope

Thanks, will have a look into the site!
    Ramey, I have to say I'm in pretty much the same situation as you.

I've always despised Irish, never gave it time at all, until this year that is (I'm repeating, partly because of Irish).

I did the oral earlier in the year though. I just learned off about a dozen passages and spouted them out on the day.

Paper one won't be too bad, hopefully. I've learned off a few short stories, and I've learned how to adapt them to fit pretty much anything. I'm doing the letter as my other part: that'll be a lot trickier as I've only learned an opening and an ending, I'll have to make up the beginning on the day (which is very hard when you can't string a sentence together).

I'm in the same boat as you for paper two, I'm completely screwed for it. I don't have a clue what the hell to right, although I've a grind for it Monday night so that might help.

Likewise, I can tell that the aural is going to be a disaster.

Best thing to do is to learn some general responses to poetry or something for paper 2 I'd say, anyway.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for ya buddy, because I know how it feels, as I'm in the exact same boat as you. Good luck with it anyway!

Thanks a lot for your both reassuring and motivational reply. It really helps to know that someone is in the same both.

I might try to learn off some sample answer and just write it down no matter what in paper2... Might get some sympathy marks right? :X

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

im not 100% sure because my teacher is useless, but he thinks lig sin a gcathu (sp?) will be up because it has never been up before.
    only problemo with that is, we have no past questions to practise on!
    if you have any revise wise books use them to get phrases and learn off a summary of the story, that way if your asked to write a summary from a certain point your covered! obviously know other stories too (an bean og possibly??)

im ****ed too, dont worry:p
    by the sounds of things the standard wont be too high so... maybe theyl mark us all easy :D lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

prepare some summaries and character summaries on flashcards,,, just quick notes like, simple and easily understandable, in bullet points, its a great way to learn something when you have a couple of days. :)
    and good luck,
    I know how it feels to be bad at irish, its def not my best sub,,,,,:(

Advertisement