Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England's lack of striking options

• 06-06-2009 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭

i'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but it hit me afresh there.

england really lack top-quality strikers. badly.

my childhood took place in the era of shearer, ferdinand, cole, fowler, sheringham and the like. michael owen too of course, when he was at his liverpool best.

any reasons?

you can't use the foreigner excuse. the middle of the field consists of gerrard, lampard, hargreaves when fit. i'd even argue that barry is of a higher class in his position than pretty much even english striking option. again at the back you have terry, ferdinand, carragher (if he hadn't retired)

maybe they're just cr*p?

i mean heskey should not be anywhere near an england international frontline. he struggled to get into a stuggling villa team ffs.

rooney, granted. awesome. but short of that, who? i'd argue nobody really of note.

are there options capello just doesn't see? crouch has an awesome record but isn't an all-round player that you'd expect from an england international striker. then you're going into the likes of bent, cole. ashton could be great, but that's irrelevant because he'll never be fit. owen, although always a threat, will never be the same again imo.

it's all just a little baffling...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the way their looking atm they're missing a good team

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but it hit me afresh there.

england really lack top-quality strikers. badly.

my childhood took place in the era of shearer, ferdinand, cole, fowler, sheringham and the like. michael owen too of course, when he was at his liverpool best.

any reasons?

you can't use the foreigner excuse. the middle of the field consists of gerrard, lampard, hargreaves when fit. i'd even argue that barry is of a higher class in his position than pretty much even english striking option. again at the back you have terry, ferdinand, carragher (if he hadn't retired)

maybe they're just cr*p?

i mean heskey should not be anywhere near an england international frontline. he struggled to get into a stuggling villa team ffs.

rooney, granted. awesome. but short of that, who? i'd argue nobody really of note.

are there options capello just doesn't see? crouch has an awesome record but isn't an all-round player that you'd expect from an england international striker. then you're going into the likes of bent, cole. ashton could be great, but that's irrelevant because he'll never be fit. owen, although always a threat, will never be the same again imo.

it's all just a little baffling...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Death by quote! :D

Englerland have enough options (if all fit) its how they are used thats matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Headshot wrote: »
    ;)

you're just happy because he won you some money :pac:

mike65 wrote: »
    Englerland have enough options (if all fit) its how they are used thats matters.

who? in comparison to years gone by?

owen is a shadow of his former self. heskey, well i won't say anything about him again :rolleyes:

cole, ashton and crouch is it really.

shearer, fowler, andrew cole, a younger owen, sheringham would all walk into that team.

even le tiss would have a chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

They just need to gel their midfield together and find a place for Rooney.I remember when France won the world cup they had no top class strikers (Henry hadnt joined Arsenal at that stage) but the rest of the team was enough.

TonyD79 wrote: »
    They just need to gel their midfield together and find a place for Rooney.I remember when France won the world cup they had no top class strikers (Henry hadnt joined Arsenal at that stage) but the rest of the team was enough.

i certainly don't believe you need an array of top-class strikers.

i'm more just making the point that they have few as opposed to previous times.

if Ashton wasnt injury proned he'd be in the england squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Lol and Heskey scores....

Lol and Heskey scores....

yeah.

i should have really waited until after the game to make the post. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Heskey isnt as bad as most make out hense him starting and scoring for England but he is lucky as his is the one postion that England have no real alternatives in. There are no real decent target man CF's in england who are English, Ashton showed promise that he could develop into the player they need but this cant happen whilst he is so injury prone.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

i certainly don't believe you need an array of top-class strikers.

i'm more just making the point that they have few as opposed to previous times.

That’s not even remotely true.

Gerrard and Rooney?

Effective alternatives - Heskey, Crouch, Defoe…(they are certainly not ‘world-class’, but they are effective for England).

Goalscoring midfielders - Lampard and Barry.

England (much like Chelsea) miss Joe Cole.

It should also be noted that England have won all their matches and have the second-best goal difference across all the qualifying groups.

Qualification is surely more important than ‘world-class’ performances?

The real test is next summer for teams in England’s position…

That’s not even remotely true.

Gerrard and Rooney?

Effective alternatives - Heskey, Crouch, Defoe…(they are certainly not ‘world-class’, but they are effective for England).

Goalscoring midfielders - Lampard and Barry.

England (much like Chelsea) miss Joe Cole.

It should also be noted that England have won all their matches and have the second-best goal difference across all the qualifying groups.

Qualification is surely more important than ‘world-class’ performances?

The real test is next summer for teams in England’s position…

i don't dispute much of what you've said for a minute.

england have prided themselves on having great strikers.

gerrard, like rooney, is not an out-and-out striker. i'm not getting into a debate about 'different types of striker' but they're not typical number 9s like the ones i've listed. (of the ones i've listed i know sheringham, therefore, can arguably be taken out).

this is probably a pointless debate, but it was just a thought at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Welcome to the Soccer Forum, home of the pointless debate since ye olde times.

not pointless at all - whether or not the players at Capello's disposal can perform against top teams in the later stages of tournaments is the real issue.

They haven't managed too well previously and the way they were dismantled against Spain in the friendly last year (much the same as ManUtd v Barca 2 weeks ago) doesn't bode well for the future.

Getting the midfield balance right is more important than 'world-class' strikers in those types of games though IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well they have what they have atm. Others might come though Sylvan Augustus Ebanks-Blake spings to mind (he'd be worth selecting for the commentary)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They haven't managed too well previously and the way they were dismantled against Spain in the friendly last year (much the same as ManUtd v Barca 2 weeks ago) doesn't bode well for the future.
    Football is a results game, friendlies mena nothing more than given an excuse to give the youngers players and those on the periphery a chance of a run out.

England have 6 wins from from 6 games. Not bad for a team with no options up front. :rolleyes:

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Football is a results game, friendlies mena nothing more than given an excuse to give the youngers players and those on the periphery a chance of a run out.

England have 6 wins from from 6 games. Not bad for a team with no options up front. :rolleyes:

Agreed, but my point was about games against top teams - as in; beating Kazakstan, Andorra, Belarus etc...is all well and good but England always struggle in the latter stages of tournaments when they come against top teams. They took the Spain game seriously (friendly or not) and were undone - I think what I'm saying is maybe England don't get enough meaningful games against top teams to give a true reflection of their level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

BaZmO* wrote: »

Most Irish supporters would love an equivalent lack of striking options. Or their goal difference.

It's England. No matter what happens there will be handwringing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

stovelid wrote: »
    Most Irish supporters would love an equivalent lack of striking options. Or their goal difference.

It's England. No matter what happens there will be handwringing.

Yeah, we'd also love an easy qualification group..... that would be nice too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yeah, we'd also love an easy qualification group..... that would be nice too! :)

I knew somebody would say that. :D

You reckon we would be guaranteed to hammer Croatia and Ukraine?

Advertisement