Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gonna die on monday- IRISH!!!

• 06-06-2009 4:34pm

higher level irish, anybody feel the same?
    ive got ONE ESSAY learnt off, but its fairly broad and i think i can adjust it on the day. its about povety, the economic crisis, teenage problems and the environment.
    got the summaries to cearrbhch and bean og learnt off. pretty sure il be able to answer whatever questions come up there.. hopefull theyll come up!!:(
    im learning off an mhathair summary now. but it wont seem to stick with me..
    starting to forget everything else ive learnt..
    havent touched stair.. ive tried but it doesnt fit in my brain.
    pretty sure i did a good oral, hoping for top marks. thank il be fine for the listening.. but then again...
    i think im ok for the comprehensions, im good at cutting and pasting!!!
    hoping gealt will come up because its pretty easy to answer questions on it, given that the poem is really easy irish anyway. dunno about whatever other poem may come up... actually really hope its jack. havent learnt anything really on them. i mean of done stuff for them but i havent learnt anything off for them.
    i know the gist of triail. didnt read it but i know the story...
    but now anytime i learn off something new the old one goes out the window!!!
    didnt do the mocks.... only started the subject in feb/march...

anybody having similar problems or am i just screwed???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

EXACT SAME BOAT

I'm screwed but at the same time I'm taking today off after English.

I've one essay learnt off on the Recession. Must learn another for Heritage.

Am learning Bean Óg/Cearrbhach
    Jack, Nil aon ni and faoiseamh
    da mbhfeidir, mhathair, chead drama
    Nothing for Triail - bull**** it like I did in the pre
    Screwed for comprehensions and tape.

God only knows how I'll do.

do you need anything?
    you hoping for a good grade?
    i need a c3...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Hahaha, I've no essays learnt...hahaha. I'm banking on Da mb'fheidir aris dar gcumann or An mhathair coming up for Paper 2...

So, so, so screwed. I'm not counting Irish but it'd be embarassing if I did really badly...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I have nothing learned for HL irish yet so... yeah I'm dreading it!

My plan though: learn aiste phrases off today along with the 2 HL poems that have never come up (since we have a choice and one of them's bound to come up) and the Stair na Gaeilge. Tomorrow... try and cram the ol poetry, prose and An Triail into my head.... This is gonna be an EPIC failure.... :o

i real hope what i want to come up comes up...
    im baggin on:
    an mháthair
    jack
    gealt
    bean óg
    cearrbhach
    an essay about recession/ poverty/ environment
    and really EASY comprehensions....

• Advertisement

[quote=[Deleted User];60569156]i real hope what i want to come up comes up...
    im baggin on:
    an mháthair
    jack
    gealt
    bean óg
    cearrbhach
    an essay about recession/ poverty/ environment
    and really EASY comprehensions....[/quote]

This sounds suspiciously like our mock :P It's a good bet though. With those notes you should be covered for most questions (well covered enough to b-s your way through ones you haven't prepared lol!)
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Yo Rex Plump Smallpox, a cut and paste job isn't sufficient for the comprehensions, you need to answer them in your own words. In saying that, there will always be one or two in which a direct copy is the only option.

I'm pushing for an A to compensate for English. Slim chance of getting it but apparently a load of people in my class got full marks in the oral (I'm hoping that I'm one of them, especially since there's only ten of us in the class!) so with an essay on the recession or Irish language, a decent paper two and the aural going smoothly I'm crossing my fingers.

Monzo wrote: »
    Yo Rex Plump Smallpox, a cut and paste job isn't sufficient for the comprehensions, you need to answer them in your own words. In saying that, there will always be one or two in which a direct copy is the only option.

I'm pushing for an A to compensate for English. Slim chance of getting it but apparently a load of people in my class got full marks in the oral (I'm hoping that I'm one of them, especially since there's only ten of us in the class!) so with an essay on the recession or Irish language, a decent paper two and the aural going smoothly I'm crossing my fingers.

really i was told you can cut and paste all the question, i know youll lose some of the marks but il at least get half if not more. that said, i do have to cut and paste the right sentence though... hehehehe!!
    also, dood ur like the man at irish, dont worry yourself youll do great. im positive.

Well often if you just say "de réir an alt/an t-údar [cut and paste answer]" you'll get the full marks (assuming you've picked out the right sentence). Another easy way to "put it into your own words" is to change the names around (say just the first or last name, or full name, or title, or simply he/she... depending on what the original was). Works like a charm and got me almost full marks in my mocks for the comprehensions :cool:

Oh wait, yeah you're right about that actually. I think you just lose one mark by not changing into your own words (not certain on that though). Cheers for the kind words, I'm pessimistic by nature :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Inever learn off essays, just handy phrases, bits of vocab and seanfhocals that I can slide into several different ones. I just rely on my Irish skillz really. If you're doing Honours then your basic Irish should be good enough so just trust yourself.

yeah well i dont really speak the language....
    i was astonishingly fluent at the orals but i think it was just my day.
    wish i could speak irish tho. that would be kinda handy.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm faily confident for the paper.

If you just copy & paste for the comprehensions you lose all the Gaeilge marks, no?
    I'd never do it anyway to be honest.
    Then again I'd never just throw down summaries of stories and poems either...

Anyway, Rex Plump Smallpox. I think I made it clear in previous threads that I don't really agree with the way you study for the subject, but how and ever, best of luck.
    And the rest of you!

Go néééééééééirí an t-adh leo!

seriously.... you have a problemo. get over it man. move on.

[quote=[Deleted User];60570152]seriously.... you have a problemo. get over it man. move on.[/quote]

I'm female.
    Anyway.
    I retract my best wishes.
    I was going to be a total prick and nitpick at all the things wrong in your original post, but instead I decided to be nice.
    Pfff, last time I try doing that... :P

bythewoods wrote: »
    I'm female.
    Anyway.
    I retract my best wishes.
    I was going to be a total prick and nitpick at all the things wrong in your original post, but instead I decided to be nice.
    Pfff, last time I try doing that... :P

dood, i call everybody man. i would call my mom man. i do.
    do you have to nitpick at anything right now? im not giving anyone advise.
    save your comments for when i do.

ps. you turn everything sour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I'm female.

Your avatar throws people!

Anyway LDG I'm with you. I find it a waste of time trying to learn off an irish essay because I'm good at Irish. Then again I did that and got a B3 for my essay in my mocks.. I'd love to know in detail how they mark the Irish essays because my grammar, vocab etc is good, dunno where I'm going wrong?? :confused:

They seemed pretty lenient in the mocks for the comps. I got full marks and I didn't change them all. My entire class got 68-70 for the reading comps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i will really be concentrating on the essay and i will do maby two past tapes again myself as they are worth the most marks. i am only going to learn the two poems not asked before. no pint wasting time on the other poems for peanut marks. quick revision over all pass aspects of the course. an trial and an stair will take a lot of time as they just go in one ear and out the other.

lads if i were ye i would pratice listening to at least one past tape as the tape is worth a lot of marks and people tend to forget about this.

[quote=[Deleted User];60570632]dood, i call everybody man. i would call my mom man. i do.
    do you have to nitpick at anything right now? im not giving anyone advise.
    save your comments for when i do.

ps. you turn everything sour.[/quote]

Well, the conversation did turn to what marks are lost by not rearranging the answers to your comprehenesions.
    So I answered. All the Gaeilge marks.

PS. OH NOEZZZZZ!
    I am so bittah.
    That's exactly what I was trying to do when I wished everyone luck - give the thread a negative edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

If you just copy & paste for the comprehensions you lose all the Gaeilge marks, no?

nope not at all! I went to the Holy Tute for grinds in the b*starding subject (saturdays at 9 if you must know) and we were always told that you only get 5 marks, count 'em people 5, taken off you from the whole 35 if you just 'copy & paste'

don't know about you but for me they can have them five marks, i'll stick to my beautiful copying ways:cool:

• Advertisement

nope not at all! I went to the Holy Tute for grinds in the b*starding subject (saturdays at 9 if you must know) and we were always told that you only get 5 marks, count 'em people 5, taken off you from the whole 35 if you just 'copy & paste'

don't know about you but for me they can have them five marks, i'll stick to my beautiful copying ways:cool:

Does it not usually work that like, questions worth 4 marks are marked (3 +1), the 1 being for gaeilge.... so all the way down if you haven't been rearranging you lose the gaeilge mark?
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure I'm right on that account..

Meh, s'okay anyway, I'm aiming for full marks on the comprehensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 artemus

that ther just summarises the leaving cert...awards for people who can cheat the system best...just change any word in your answer and you should be grand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i'm forked for irish.i dont know any essays and i know nothing about an triail.i just passed in my mocks (40% without an oral).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

im freaking terrified...what if i don't understand the essay titles? what if i can't do the an triail q?
    amount of things that could go wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭piggies

didnt feel like studying today after the stress of english so i had a look at the chief examiner's report for irish last year, he/she said there's a huge increase in the amount of people learning off chunks of essays and stuff for prós and poems etc.
    He/she advised against this saying sometimes this prevents you from answering exactly what is asked and this is where the majority of people lost out on marks last year!

just thought id share that :)

(dreading irish)

Does it not usually work that like, questions worth 4 marks are marked (3 +1), the 1 being for gaeilge....

After a look at my comprehensions copy this is indeed right.

With regards to the way the mocks were marked, I wouldn't trust them too much tbh. Seems a fair few were marked by university students!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Go néééééééééirí an t-adh leo!

Not to be nit-picking,but this is an Irish thread....

leo=them
    libh=ye

Ádh mór libh go léir!;)

aine-maire wrote: »
    Not to be nit-picking,but this is an Irish thread....

leo=them
    libh=ye

Ádh mór libh go léir!;)

Don't forget the tremendous overuse of the 'é' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Monzo wrote: »
    Don't forget the tremendous overuse of the 'é' ;)

Oh,I kinda like that,added dramatic impact or whatever:p

She reeeeeeeeeeeeally wanted to wish us good luck:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

relax everyone!

I'm doing HL irish but I'm not concerned about it at all. I haven't done any homework since Easter and I don't know a single poem or any of the Stair. I know a general outline of the stories and a few phrases for the essay.

Despite this I'm not worried at all. I'm fully expecting a B.

This is because you don't need to study for Irish. The poems are written there on the paper in front of you! what do you need to learn exactly? and in any case the poems are only worth 10% anyway. and the stair is only worth 5%. They're so minor that there's no need to worry about them. I'll have no problem winging a reasonable answer for poetry on the day and none of you will either.

The places where the marks are picked up in Irish are the essay, the listening and the oral.

It's not an exam to get stressed out about

Advertisement