Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gonna die on monday- IRISH!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

[quote=[Deleted User];60569333]really i was told you can cut and paste all the question, i know youll lose some of the marks but il at least get half if not more. that said, i do have to cut and paste the right sentence though... hehehehe!!
    also, dood ur like the man at irish, dont worry yourself youll do great. im positive.[/quote]

I think you get about 3 out of 5 for cutting and pasting. It's always worth changing the sentence unless you have no idea what the actual answer is.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

JW91 wrote: »
    relax everyone!

I'm doing HL irish but I'm not concerned about it at all. I haven't done any homework since Easter and I don't know a single poem or any of the Stair. I know a general outline of the stories and a few phrases for the essay.

Despite this I'm not worried at all. I'm fully expecting a B.

This is because you don't need to study for Irish. The poems are written there on the paper in front of you! what do you need to learn exactly? and in any case the poems are only worth 10% anyway. and the stair is only worth 5%. They're so minor that there's no need to worry about them. I'll have no problem winging a reasonable answer for poetry on the day and none of you will either.

The places where the marks are picked up in Irish are the essay, the listening and the oral.

It's not an exam to get stressed out about

And the play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I dont know any of the higher level poems,any of the stair and if an essay doesnt come up about recession/poverty..... im just walking out of the hall

oh well only the leaving cert!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,383 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Some of ye may hate me for this but I've been in a Gaelscoil for my whole life and so Im sorta fluent-ish! Don't think i've studied Irish one bit. However I do suck at maths so feel free to mock me over that.

Apparently "Cearbhach MacCába" and "Bean Óg" have a decent chance of coming up in the scéalta.
    SnaG - Méain Comarsáide (i.e TG4, RnaG, Foinse), Ruaríocht/Fianniacht (either or not both), Aisling Polaitiúl/Dán Grá, Fillíocht na Báird.
    We did Maidhc Dainín instead of a play (he's a legend!!!): Meirceá is hotly tipped!
    Dánta: Cathal Ó Searcaigh's havn't come up in a while, and the controvercy has died down about him, so expect: Níl aon Ní or Maighdeiléana to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Lig Sin i gCathú came up in 2007 and 2008 didn't it? If so, surely they couldn't put it up for a third year?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Yggdrasill

I have hardly anything learned for it. I only want to pass it(higher). I'm not relying on it for points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I'm fine about the poems cos they're printed, I'm fine for an triail, know the storyline. I need to go over the stories though, not really sure what happens in them? don't know any stair but think I might just skip that or maybe learn a few stuff like bealoideas and that, definitely not learning any poets. irish is grand, I suppose it's cos I'm good at it, like I know all my verbs and I'm able to make sentences. I'm not joking there's a lot of people in my class who can barely make sentences, they just learn **** off. If you write anything really for the poetry and all that, they give you marks. For an cearrbhach question in the mocks I didn't understand the question and just wrote a load of ****e for it and I got goodish marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,383 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Monzo wrote: »
    Lig Sin i gCathú came up in 2007 and 2008 didn't it? If so, surely they couldn't put it up for a third year?!
    You are correct, I meant to put down Cearbhach Mac Cába, but put that down by mistake. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

For paper one I have a standard opening and closing for a debate learned, as well as a few phrases for rebuttals. The Irish Language is tipped to come up so I prepared some points on it...that's pretty much all the paper 1 work I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lovemaths

only have a recession essay learned - if it doesnt come up im completely done for!!
    paper 2...nothing on an trial learned off yet...hoping something bout ireland in the 50's or lack of christianity comes up!
    heard gealt,faoiseamh a gheobhadsa,cearrbhach mac caba,an bhean og,an mhathair,urchill an chreagain and da mb'fheidir aris dar gcumann have a good chance of coming up!

• Advertisement

Piste wrote: »
    For paper one I have a standard opening and closing for a debate learned, as well as a few phrases for rebuttals. The Irish Language is tipped to come up so I prepared some points on it...that's pretty much all the paper 1 work I'm doing.

the irish language for paper 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Forde-fotos

An essay on the enviroment or the recession better be on paper 1 !

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i'm screwed for irish.its mainly understanding the questions being asked that i have problems with.i know the storylines of the pros and the poems are wrtitten in front of you and i kind of know the storline for an triail.i havent learned any essays what so ever.but my main problem is understanding what is asked.anyone have any solutions for this?

I find it hard to understand the questions too

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i just passed in the mocks (40%) but the problem i had was that i wasnt answering the question.firstly i basically told the story and then just wrote a load of random stuff to make the answer longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

I'm praying for recession or poverty for the aiste.
    My teacher gave us notes on the GAA-125 years aswell. What are the chances of something like that coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lovemaths

i'm screwed for irish.its mainly understanding the questions being asked that i have problems with.i know the storylines of the pros and the poems are wrtitten in front of you and i kind of know the storline for an triail.i havent learned any essays what so ever.but my main problem is understanding what is asked.anyone have any solutions for this?

yeah defo a huge problem for me too! really wish i went to a gaelscoile wud have been a huge advantage!! honestly id just learn off the meaning of words that could possibly come up....
    mention - luaigh
    describe - cur sios ar
    the lack of - easpa
    economic climate = timpeallacht eacnamaíoch
    economic exploitation = dúshaothrú eacnamaíoch
    mortgage = morgáiste
    the campaign against poverty in the developing countries = an comhrac in aghaidh na bochtaineachta sna tíortha i mbéal forbartha
    modern languages = nuatheangacha
    the English language is recognised as a second official language = glactar leis an Sacs-Bhéarla mar theanga oifigiúil eile

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

sooo annoying that the aural isn't first!! us ordinary levelers will be bored ****less for about an hour waiting for it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 squirrel!

pitty ye cant pull a sicky and not turn up! tomorrow is goin to be a bad ass day!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Howdy all, with paper 1 tomorow i thought it'd be nice to have a thread for all parts of irish (ie. HALP, irish tomorow, i'm screwed!! thread :pac:).

Just to get the ball rolling (:D)...

1. How much are we supposed to write for the essay?.
    2. What does everyone have prepared for it?.

I basically have recession prepared. Using the "into-current situation-problems-solutions-conclusions" method. Thinking of talking about jobs, education, homelessness, blame and solutions to these. Any else got any ideas?.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

On the top of the essay question page it says answers should be 500-600 words, so for me that's about 1.5-2 pages

I'm preparing bochtanas, neart na ngaeilge and something about crappy health care. So basically all my oral notes + then some :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

On the top of the essay question page it says answers should be 500-600 words, so for me that's about 1.5-2 pages

I'm preparing bochtanas, neart na ngaeilge and something about crappy health care. So basically all my oral notes + then some :o
    Hehe, i kept a load of oral notes on the environment. And if i manage to slip in my hobbies and time in the gaeltacht into my essay, all the better :pac::D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 datwuzrandom

Im learning bochtanas, sport because of the 100yrs Gaa thingy and of course...the lovely recession! =):P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Nimur90

How many pages does that essay have to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

The essay's about 2 pages of medium-sized writing.

Is cúlú pretty certain? I know it came up on the mocks, but... I'm planning on using my cúlú essay for bochtanas if it comes up, a short intro about how we're all poor because of the recession, which happened because...

What's that Irish language thing about?? I suppose it doesn't really matter anyway, it's a bit late to be writing a new essay now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Nimur90

I wrote 1 and a half pages of complete bull**** for the mocks. Our teacher gave us about 200 phrases and I just used a few and somehow I got 95% in it. I made up all the facts and statistics.
    You'll be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Is cúlú pretty certain? I know it came up on the mocks, but... I'm planning on using my cúlú essay for bochtanas if it comes up, a short intro about how we're all poor because of the recession, which happened because...

Same here, hopefully one of them will come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Jdivision91

hey :D does anybody know good websites for practicing comprehension?? :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

www.examinations.ie - use all the past papers.

Was it really necessary to drag up a 2 year old thread??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Jdivision91

whoops my bad i never even looked at the year i just seen 6th june and thought it was this year! sorry! thanks for the link :)

Advertisement