Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crew Cabs

• 06-06-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

Hi,

i'm having a look at getting a crew cab (just looking at the mo) from 2006 onwards.

The only one's I know of are the Mitsubishi L200 and the Nissan Navara, are there any others I should consider?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Ford Ranger, Isuzu DMax, and Mazda B (Model escapes me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is the daddy of them all, the Toyota Hilux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

ned78 wrote: »
    Ford Ranger, Isuzu DMax, and Mazda B (Model escapes me).

Cheers Ned.

Jebus :eek: Those Ford Rangers are cheap as chips - 2009 model on Autotrader for 12.5k Sterling (+ VAT & VRT).

colm_mcm wrote: »

Ahhh....good man, I thought Toyota made one but couldn't for the life of me remember what is was called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

The new d-maxes are absolutly bullet-proof, best out there at the moment(and no I don't work for Isuzu)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

keefg wrote: »
    Cheers Ned.

Jebus :eek: Those Ford Rangers are cheap as chips - 2009 model on Autotrader for 12.5k Sterling (+ VAT & VRT).

Stay well away from Ford ranger. AGS have a couple and are known to roll and give a lot of trouble. Irisg Coast Guard also bought some but they have no pulling power, sorry towing power:D and arent the best in 4X4.
    Ahhh....good man, I thought Toyota made one but couldn't for the life of me remember what is was called.

Hilux is the one you want. Nissan is a good one too but Hilux is at the top. 2.5 is a small bit underpowered but fine for someone whos not pulling a 2 tonne trailer etc!!!

Stay well away from Ford ranger. AGS have a couple and are known to roll and give a lot of trouble. Irisg Coast Guard also bought some but they have no pulling power, sorry towing power:D and arent the best in 4X4.

What is AGS?

Hilux is the one you want. Nissan is a good one too but Hilux is at the top. 2.5 is a small bit underpowered but fine for someone whos not pulling a 2 tonne trailer etc!!!

Yeah, the Hilux is looking favourite at the mo, I'm not fussed about towing ability as I don't tow anything.

I'm more interested in the load area in the back so I can set up my tripods, crane and other camera rigs.

I'll have a look at the Dmax as well.

There is an interesting thread in the 4X4 forum about clamp downs on commercially taxed crew cabs http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055572825

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Mazda BT50 it's called, IIRC.

the load area in the Hilux is 30% bigger than in the old model, (think it's 6ft square) probably because it's nearly a foot longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

What is AGS?
    An Garda Siochàna

• Advertisement

Rovi wrote: »
    An Garda Siochàna

Ahh.....Them I've heard of :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

They are a horrid horrid drive though. Very hard suspension especially in the back. I wouldn't expect Rolls Royce comfort from a work vehicle but by comparison a Landcruiser would be a very comfortable Drive.
    Try going over a few bumps if you test drive one and if you don't mind the kick in the spine it gives you then it will serve you well.

It's part and parcel of having a crewcab though. having a steel canopy on the back of a pickup improves the ride and handling an awful lot.

The OP will be more likely to be in the front of it and won't feel the bumpiness.

DanGerMus wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect Rolls Royce comfort from a work vehicle but by comparison a Landcruiser would be a very comfortable Drive.

A Landcruiser wouldn't be an option for me. I already have a Mitz Pajero (which is great and I will be keeping as well) but I as I said, I am looking at a crew cab to enable me to set up my camera rigs on the back and to ferry myself & crew members to shoots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

It's part and parcel of having a crewcab though. having a steel canopy on the back of a pickup improves the ride and handling an awful lot.

The OP will be more likely to be in the front of it and won't feel the bumpiness.

Fair point, i've heard of people keeping sand bags in the back sheerly to help the ride comfort. The added weight keeps the suspension from topping out? If that's the right way to say it? Something to be aware of though if the OP is carrying Camera equipment.
    A Landcruiser wouldn't be an option for me.
    Sorry didn't mean it as a suggestion for you just comparing it to another Toyota.

DanGerMus wrote: »
    Something to be aware of though if the OP is carrying Camera equipment.

Yeah, something I will have to consider alright, but not essential as I can get suspension/steadicam rigs for my gear if it's that bad (on any of them I mean, not just the Hilux).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The DMax looks good but it is not comfortable by any stretch of the imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

try googling some Austrailian sites on crew cabs but they call them somthing differant "uits" or something. They are really into reviews and all the models really get a work out with the distances and terrain they cover.

All 4x4's are crap off-roading with the road tyres they have on and most jeeps spend little time off the road. You could debate all day which tyre for your 4x4.

I was at a large vintage show recently and I pulled several jeeps out of the mud who got stuck. Regardless of make the drivers entered the mud not even knowing how to apply the all wheel drive. One was even an experienced farmer who insisted on gunning it in two wheel mode. Fair play to him though he didnt even blush.
    I drive a Mazda bt50 and it was very cheap. I have it a year and it has earned its keep without fault. I cant say its the market leader but euro for euro it leaves the rest bar the Ford Ranger sitting. You cannot ignore price and a saving of 6k plus on a second hand model makes up for any missing cup holders!
    A lot of the ESB around here drive them. The M.P.G. is at best 32mpg dont know about the others..
    ps model change in 07, differant ball game if you go older... b2500's or somthing

Advertisement