Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop wont connect to wireless network.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I'm posting from my mothers laptop which is connected via the router no bother.
    I've reset the router, I've unpowered the router and repowered it and still no difference.

Do you think my wifi card could be fried or something like that? I do think my laptop has a problem wtih overheating, it's quite old and crap, that lack of cash/job means that I can't replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

shoutman wrote: »
    I'm posting from my mothers laptop which is connected via the router no bother.
    I've reset the router, I've unpowered the router and repowered it and still no difference.

Do you think my wifi card could be fried or something like that? I do think my laptop has a problem wtih overheating, it's quite old and crap, that lack of cash/job means that I can't replace it.
    Ok, well least we know it down to the PC so.

It could be a driver problem - If I were you I'd remove the wifi card from device manager in my computer and reboot, let itself re install and see what happens.

The fact that it is working over ethernet means it more on wifi side -

Alteratively, to test, you could just enter a static IP, gateway, DNS addresses and see if that connects fine.

I tried the static ip but no good results will do the other thing you suggested, thanks so much for the help.

Webmonkey you are an absolute beauty, back up and running now.

Thanks so much for everyone who offered advice on this problem.

You saved me buying a new laptop which I can not afford.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

shoutman wrote: »
    Webmonkey you are an absolute beauty, back up and running now.

Thanks so much for everyone who offered advice on this problem.

You saved me buying a new laptop which I can not afford.

Much appreciated.
    Excellent, good work. Glad to be of help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

Good evening folks

May seem a bit like Groundhog Day, but here goes....
    I have a desktop PC with a wireless dongle that "used" to be OK until a couple of days ago. Basically I moved it downstairs (as it happens, a bit further away from the wireless router, if that has any bearing on the problem).
    Anyway, I updated some software on the PC last night (windows updates mostly), downloaded AVG and installed....everything OK so far.
    All of a sudden, I've no Internet connection. Similar to the previous thread, I can see the router via the dongle console so it's making a connection to it, but no outside connection.
    I've set to "obtain IP address automatically", no joy. (Incidentally, from this machine connected to the same router, all is hunky dory - on this one, the Default Gateway has the same IP address as the router; the IP address differs only in the last digit).
    Tried giving the desktop PC an IP address similar to above, incrementing by 1 on the IP address, no joy.
    If I try to disable/re-enable the wireless connection, it hangs on the "Renewing your IP address" part.....and then hangs.....and then tells me to contact my Tech Support ! So it doesn't seem to be picking up an IP address, even though when I checked on the router console, it's set to assign one to connected devices...

I've been at this over the weekend and I'm lost at this stage....Any ideas folks ? Much appreciated !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Good evening folks

May seem a bit like Groundhog Day, but here goes....
    I have a desktop PC with a wireless dongle that "used" to be OK until a couple of days ago. Basically I moved it downstairs (as it happens, a bit further away from the wireless router, if that has any bearing on the problem).
    Anyway, I updated some software on the PC last night (windows updates mostly), downloaded AVG and installed....everything OK so far.
    All of a sudden, I've no Internet connection. Similar to the previous thread, I can see the router via the dongle console so it's making a connection to it, but no outside connection.
    I've set to "obtain IP address automatically", no joy. (Incidentally, from this machine connected to the same router, all is hunky dory - on this one, the Default Gateway has the same IP address as the router; the IP address differs only in the last digit).
    Tried giving the desktop PC an IP address similar to above, incrementing by 1 on the IP address, no joy.
    If I try to disable/re-enable the wireless connection, it hangs on the "Renewing your IP address" part.....and then hangs.....and then tells me to contact my Tech Support ! So it doesn't seem to be picking up an IP address, even though when I checked on the router console, it's set to assign one to connected devices...

I've been at this over the weekend and I'm lost at this stage....Any ideas folks ? Much appreciated !

Please don't be reviving old threads.

My guess is that your avg update is the culprit. Try turning off your firewall and see what happens.

dub45 wrote: »
    Please don't be reviving old threads.

My guess is that your avg update is the culprit. Try turning off your firewall and see what happens.

It's not "revived" as such - it happens to be the most similar thread to the issue I am facing....should I start another identical one ?

At the moment I'm not at my PC but will check later on this arvo.

Anyway, what Firewall are you referring to - the Windows one or the AVG one ? I can see why you might suggest that AVG is the problem, but it actually *did* work for a while after I installed the latest free version of AVG. Than BAM! Gone...

I've also seen on other forums a suggestion of plugging in the wireless dongle *after* the PC has booted up. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but apparently it has an effect and works for some.

Should I be hardcoding an IP address or set it to obtain automatically anyway ? That works for my laptop...It has an address of '.3' as last part of the address and it picks it up from the router.

The other question I have is about the dongle itself. I know these aren't generally as powerful or optimal as a plug-in device. It's something I picked up from dabs.ie or similar for about €20, and is about the size of a USB key. Could it just be too far from the router ? That said, I brought the router downstairs and plugged in, and that still didn't make a whole lot of difference...

Cheers

Oh, and the other thing was...when I reboot the PC and try to connect to the internet, I'm getting prompted to select my preferred dial-up ISP. It should be picking up the wireless option, I assume ??

Advertisement