Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking

Options
  • 06-06-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,
    I'm looking to get decking in my back garden and was quoted 1800 euros for the job, and was wondering if that was a good price? The size of the deck is 24' X 16' with a 4' opening for entry. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 winnie the poo

thats very expensive.... you can do a hell of a lot better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Never get just one quote for a job. Get three or four and see how the average works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

But bear in mind that the cheapest price might also get you a "cheap and nasty" looking deck. Ask to see some previous work/get references.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

At approx € 50.00/sq m, that price would appear reasonable. But not knowing the layout or proposed construction methods, type of board, proposed fixings etc, it is difficult to make any real comment.

But on the whole it would seem lowish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 garyxxx

12' x 12' decking in ABS robinhood ind est. 249.99 euro. I fitted it myself, it was a doddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

I just had decking finished last week. Its approx 4metres by 3.5 metres. All the timber cost €600 - that includes 30 odd deck boards, about 10 lengths of 9'x2' for the frame and a few lengths of 6'x2' to brace. All of this timber was pressure treated. I reckon the timber was a bit pricey but the builder providers were close by and delivered relatively quickly. Best part was that my brother put it down. It's a great finish and I'm really pleased, but €1800 seems like a hell of a lot and given the rough pricing above it all sounds like labour for what is no more than a data and a halfs work.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 winnie the poo

El Camino wrote: »
    I just had decking finished last week. Its approx 4metres by 3.5 metres. All the timber cost €600 - that includes 30 odd deck boards, about 10 lengths of 9'x2' for the frame and a few lengths of 6'x2' to brace. All of this timber was pressure treated. I reckon the timber was a bit pricey but the builder providers were close by and delivered relatively quickly. Best part was that my brother put it down. It's a great finish and I'm really pleased, but €1800 seems like a hell of a lot and given the rough pricing above it all sounds like labour for what is no more than a data and a halfs work.

your dead right, landscapers overcharging for decking is one of the oldest tricks in the book. Decking flies down, anyone can do it and it couldnt be easier. landscapers always overcharge making out that its more work than it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

I am just after finishing mine and am currently sitting out on it in the sunshine it is great. It is 3.2m X 3.2M with a 1.5m X .70m step into it. the boards, joists, posts, screws, stain, rope ended up costing about €600-€700 and i did the work myself, the joist and the foundation are the hardest pieces but if you do not do something like this in your 9-5 job then i would highly recommend it as it is great to take you mind off things and do something completely different.

Will post up some pics of the finished product soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Johnny Drama.

12' x 12' decking in ABS robinhood ind est. 249.99 euro. I fitted it myself, it was a doddle

Gary where the joist included at that price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 garyxxx

12' x 12' decking in ABS robinhood ind est. 249.99 euro. I fitted it myself, it was a doddle

Gary where the joist included at that price?

joist and screws included. used decking oil on it, looks grand..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Johnny Drama.

Thanks Gary

Im heading down saturday to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Lads Heiton bukleys are having a huge sale on decking, sen iy in the paper today

Advertisement