Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halfords are dropping prices big time

• 06-06-2009 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭

Word has it that the exchange rate halfords use is going to drop, so it will be more favourable for us.

Dont quote me but I heard it today. Dont know what they are dropping it to.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

About time, if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

In fairness, their 3 for 2 offers on car cleaning stuff was always good value IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Most of their products are strong branded products with naturally higher prices, however, they always had much higher margins than anybody else.

The prices for their own bulbs are ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Matt Simis wrote: »
    In fairness, their 3 for 2 offers on car cleaning stuff was always good value IMO.

+1, especially when you only realise it's there when you are buying two things, and get something free :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

They don't seem be re-stocking the Zymol car wash anymore in Cork, is it the same in other branches? I usually buy those 3 at a time during these 3 for 2 offers. Either that or the Autoglym Aqua Wax x 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

They don't seem be re-stocking the Zymol car wash anymore in Cork, is it the same in other branches? I usually buy those 3 at a time during these 3 for 2 offers. Either that or the Autoglym Aqua Wax x 3.

It's made by turtle wax so maybe there is a similar product from turtlewax stocked there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

All there hayes manuals are over 30 euros is this a normal price or just halfords?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

O.A.P wrote: »
    All there hayes manuals are over 30 euros is this a normal price or just halfords?

£19.99 + P&P from Haynes

http://www.haynes.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Them! I got mine off ebay for €7 inc postage

I think its like €40+ for Bosch Wipers - I've been getting a set of 3 from the north for around half

The alloys take the biscuit - twice the price of uk sites for the ones I have and that was with "Budget Performance" tyres

I only go there for detailing products that cost too much to post from uk - €8 turtle wax car wash concentrate - mint! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Them! I got mine off ebay for €7 inc postage

Brand new sealed in plastic?

Any I've seen on ebay are usually stg£15 ish +postage.

Used ones can be gotten for around the price you paid but you cant compare that to buyign it new from a shop.

€25 -€30 is standard enough. They are stg£20 to buy direct from Haynes sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

OK there not that over priced then. I have couple of cars and service them myself and they have both manuals in halfords and I thought Id get both for 30 euro or so. I was futher out than a lighthouse apparently.

JHMEG wrote: »

€4 postage though and the only appear to have one sfor classics.

Stekelly wrote: »
    €4 postage though and the only appear to have one sfor classics.

That is a good point, but my search above is flawed. Eg
    http://www.eason.ie/search?q=9781859601990&commit=Go

They don't stock all the Haynes manuals, but, being Eason's they can get any book that's currently in print.

€4 is not applicable for the purposes of this comparison as you'd be expected to visit your local Eason's just as you would your local Halford's! :)

€4 is not applicable for the purposes of this comparison as you'd be expected to visit your local Eason's just as you would your local Halford's! :)

Ah but just to throw a spanner in the works, I've never seen a Haynes manual in any branch of Easons I've visited. :)

Ah but just to throw a spanner in the works, I've never seen a Haynes manual in any branch of Easons I've visited. :)

+1

News to me.

Were you looking for them? ;)

I bought my first Haynes manual about 12 years ago in Eason's on O'Connell St. Having said that I bought 3-4 more after, mainly as presents, all from the Haynes website. Haven't bought one in a long time now as they're all the fairly samey.

Were you looking for them? ;)

I wasnt but Easons is somewhere I tend to have a good root around from time to time, and Haynes manual stick out. I've bought 5 over the last year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

A haynes manual for e100 is still good value IMO. Priceless for anybody who even changes the oil themselves.

Brand new sealed in plastic?

course not - I needed the book not the plastic

Its going to get destroyed anyway - no point getting it new

I'm surprised no ones tried to flog them off as .pdf files for a few euros on ebay - print what you need

There was a Canadian guy who had 1100+ feedback selling nothing but .pdf files of Guitar Tablature books- ( which also cost close to €30 new)

• Advertisement

Its going to get destroyed anyway - no point getting it new

Well in fairness it's hardly fair to imply Halfords are really expensive while using 2nd hand goods for comparison.

It's a bit like saying a particular BMW garage are really expensive because they are selling new 3 series' for €35k when you can buy an 05 for half the price. Your not comaparing like with like.

I'm surprised no ones tried to flog them off as .pdf files for a few euros on ebay - print what you need

It being illegal might be the reason.

Well in fairness it's hardly fair to imply Halfords are really expensive while using 2nd hand goods for comparison.

It's a bit like saying a particular BMW garage are really expensive because they are selling new 3 series' for €35k when you can buy an 05 for half the price. Your not comaparing like with like.

well if you've money to waste feel free - brand new or not still does the same job - thats all I need

It being illegal might be the reason

the backbone of ebay :D

well if you've money to waste feel free - brand new or not still does the same job - thats all I need

Why buy anything new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

You give me 15 for my haynes? its covered in oil, dirt , cover is a bit ****ed, but yano, ya need the book not that plastic;)

A secondhand haynes that is used will be destroyed, and with the possiblity of you removing a gearbox to do a clutch,only to find out you can go any further because the next page has been torn out. So for the sake of a tenner your left wih a car in bits even worse than when you started.

e30 isnt unreasonable IMO

kona wrote: »
    e30 isnt unreasonable IMO

+1

For the work that goes into them and how handy they are, €30 is very reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

I bought a MB190E one in Halfords UK for £19.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Fair play if they do drop their prices but i cant imagine it being by much if it does happen.

Only ever used them to buy Meguiars products anyway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Getting back to the Haynes part of the discussion, the one for my car (E39 BMW) is rubbish with plenty of wrong info. The Bentley manual is much better and more detailed (but much more expensive).
    Haynes is grand as toilet reading material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Massively overpriced in some areas (batteries near 3 times the local mf's price :eek: and a set on bike indicators 2x the local lads) so there's plenty of room to drop.

Great selection though and the 3 for 2 is good on cleaning products, their buy 1 get one free on bulbs means they're just 50% up on the local lads price per bulb too :rolleyes:

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Brilliant will just incourage the scanger mobiles! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I got the Haynes Manual for my mayfair for €19 off ebay. Waiting for delivery, so once the pages arent stuck together, Im sure its money worth! :D

Oh and regards the .pdf forms of them, I paid €25 for a pdf haynes manual before. Did exactly what I wanted. Wouldve cost me 3 times that for a mechanic to look at something that I could pick up with the manual!

Advertisement