Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History.

Options
  • 06-06-2009 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Seeing as we don't have a thread, or one I can find anyway!

What's everyone's predictions then?? I've done the case studies from each module. Thinking of looking over some stuff over the next few days. What about you guys?

My last exam too. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

I'm sorry that I have no information but I just want to make it known that I really wanted to do history. How is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

i belive they are beginning to become more interested in the conservative aspect of rule in ireland and the elections when the conservatives came to power. ya kno "killing home rule with kindness"

i also think there may be a direct question on the SHOW TRIALS , hopefully CAUSES OF WORLD WAR 2 will come up i love that question. but i belive it may be a question on the RISE of the NAZI PARTy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DimestoreSaint

Some of it's good, some of it's bad. And they're a lot of learning. I sometimes mix up the two Irish sections.

But 20% is already done in a research project, and 20% is a documents question so it's very do-able to get a good grade.

Hard work is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Well document should be civil rights.

1885 - 1886 is a possibility
    Killing home rule with Kindness
    Parnell
    Davit
    Butt
    GAA

Later is easier to predict

Mussolini
    Church State Relations
    Nazi Germany

And Later Ireland

The Economy 1922 - 1939
    Ireland During the "Emergency"
    And the USE of Violence between 1916 and 1922

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DimestoreSaint

errlloyd wrote: »

Parnell
    Davit
    Butt
    GAA

Mussolini
    Church State Relations

Nazi Germany

And Later Ireland

The Economy 1922 - 1939

That's what I have done. Did you teacher predict them? Also would you say Church/State will be in both Italy and Germany? I've done it out today but it's a bit long. :/

We were thinking the document would be the moon landing coz it's 30 years this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

errlloyd wrote: »

Parnell
    Davit
    Butt
    GAA

Mussolini
    Church State Relations
    Nazi Germany

And Later Ireland

The Economy 1922 - 1939

I did this last year and made a series of predictions, all of which proved to be inaccurate. Predicting History is not impossible, but guessing what will be on the paper is far from an exact science, so be careful to cover yourself.

Regarding the documents question, it's fairly safe to say Vietnam will not come up again, so that is eliminated. I always found the Civil Rights Movement to be slightly more substantive than the Space Race, but that may be due to the manner in which it was taught, and bear in mind that both areas of the course are topical for their own reasons. There is still some time left before History, so I would study both to be secure.

In the first Irish topic, I would say 1885/86 stands a reasonably good chance of making an appearance, as part of a Parnell angled question. Butt will probably not come up alone, but can be skillfully incorporated into any Home Rule q. I'd be less certain about the GAA - it was an option last year, and this topic is broad enough for aspects like that not to feature in consecutive years.

Dictatorship and Democracy - last year was a "Stalin year" (and more unnervingly a Lenin year as well). Propoganda also came up (albeit in a slightly different context), so maybe the Show Trials aren't such a likely candidate. Mussolini is probably too easy for a full question, but due to previously sporadic appearances stands a chance of coming up this year alongside Hitler, whether in relation to Church/ State or other analoguos (or strikingly disanaloguous) areas.

In the later Irish topic, Sinn Fein's rise to popularity/ electoral prominence from 1916+ was my LC banker. This unfortunately turned out to be wishful thinking. I still think it is a fully examinable topic though, and I would not be at all surprised to see it on Wednesday's paper.

Some general tips for a good grade - timing: note it, plan it out and stick to it. If you don't, an A1 is probably not a realistic prospect. The question: answer it. Anything else will not carry you into high grade territory. Structure: have it. Say what you're going to say, say it, then say what you said.

Hope that helps somewhat, the best of luck!

Thanks mate.

I know last year it was harder to predict, as its a new syllabus, but essentially every year it narrows a bit more. I heard the moon landing was a very "ordinary level" topic, I will only do Civil Rights. Its only contextualization anyway.

As for the GAA, I believe it has been on every year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 VivaLaVida

I've done the GAA, strike and lockout, Parnell, and unionist's opposition to home rule. Thinking of learning one more though.

Then for topic 3 I've done cng and ff economic policies plus belfast during WW2 and the emergency years in the free state.

For european I've covered Mussolini, church state relations, the rise of fasicm, causes of WW2 and the nazi state.

Anything really obvious I'm leaving out? Is anyone else finding history to be like a big gamble?:(

Do some of the independence stuff. Actually the rise of Sinn Fein looks very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm just going to go ahead and read the two books again. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

So far I am doing the following and only the following for my history...

Soverignty and Partition:
    Rise of Sinn fein/Decline of Home Rule
    Ec. policies of Fianna Fail
    Ec. policies of C na G
    And the two policies together

Politics and Society in N.Ireland:
    Apprentice Boys (think they might ask in relation to beginning of Troubles??)
    Emergence of Provisional I.R.A
    Effect of the Troubles on Economy and Education(will they ask this together or seperate?)

Nation States and International Tensions:
    Naval Policy of Wilhelm (and how it affected European diplomacy)
    Industrialisation and Social Tensions in Germany 1871-1890
    Women in the workforce during World War 2

SO...what do ya think???

If anyone has any suggestions for questions on these topics please give them so I can immediatly write an essay on it and learn it off!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

anyone doing anglo-american cinema?
    my teacher seems to think it's gonna come up because it hasn't before, but I can't see a mention of it in any of the past or sample papers?
    It is in my book, but is it maybe part of the old course or something...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

phic wrote: »
    anyone doing anglo-american cinema?
    my teacher seems to think it's gonna come up because it hasn't before, but I can't see a mention of it in any of the past or sample papers?
    It is in my book, but is it maybe part of the old course or something...?

Yup ours was pushing it. Anglo american cinema, radio, media as a whole would be sound and an easy learn but JUST cinema would be ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

Anyone think that the rise of Sinn Fein might be in there for the Irish topic? It's the only one that I've got well prepared for that question...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I know the 1885/1886 elections but I just know it's not going to be a simple question if it does come up. It's going to be something about Parnell in which you're expected to condense all of the big chapter that comes before the case study as well as the case study...I suck at condensing!

I was actually thinking that, while history is very hard considering the amount of work involved, it's pretty hard to fail. Your almost guarenteed a pass if you do a good special topic (20%) and document questions are pretty easy (20%). My problem is with time in the exam so hopefully the right questions will come up and I'll be able to shorten my essays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

omg this thread is scaring me more....theres so much i haven't learned....

perfect paper for me would be:

-cosgrave government

-welfare state/brookeborough in power

-rise of fascism

things will never be that perfect though

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

Doesn't seem to be any mention of Ireland post-1949. Any predictions? Unlike most here, our class never even touched anything pre-home rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

zodac wrote: »
    Anyone think that the rise of Sinn Fein might be in there for the Irish topic? It's the only one that I've got well prepared for that question...:(
    yeah a fairly good chance, id say go over the economic policies of the goverments and ireland 1919-23 and you should be almost covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

I know the 1885/1886 elections but I just know it's not going to be a simple question if it does come up. It's going to be something about Parnell in which you're expected to condense all of the big chapter that comes before the case study as well as the case study...I suck at condensing!

I was actually thinking that, while history is very hard considering the amount of work involved, it's pretty hard to fail. Your almost guarenteed a pass if you do a good special topic (20%) and document questions are pretty easy (20%). My problem is with time in the exam so hopefully the right questions will come up and I'll be able to shorten my essays.

yeah man like think

15% for a decent research
    15% lets say u do pretty decent in the documents
    10% a half decent answer
    10% onli get like 2 and a half pages done
    5% lets say u make a complete mess of your last essay or onli get about less than a page

thats still a C3 55%
    and 60 points

i think im gonna stick with higher on wednesday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭decster

id say that Sinn Féin could come up. their rise to prominence and the decline on home rule.
    my best topics are one above, economic policy of cng and ff, church state relations in fascist states.
    rise of Hitler and Nazi's if Mussolini is added in it will be a bonus as well.
    anything i would need to add on. let me know cheers,
    books im doin are northern ireland, dictatorship and democracy, later modern irish. and american of course.

cinema and radio is a good possibility, my reacher pushed that on us.
    what should i concentrate on in northern ireland section,

• Advertisement

teacher should i say*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

I can help with condensing for Parnell and the elections
    Intro-
    born 1846,Avondale,Co Wicklow
    family part of the protestant anglo irish ascendancy
    Mother Delia Stewart strong nationalist tendancies
    Influenced him.Mp for meath 1874
    obstrucitonism
    new departure
    land league and 3fs
    relations with irb

par 2-postion of hr
    well oraganised ex
    well financed ex
    party pledge.."i will sit act and vote with irish parliamentary party
    Urged voters in Britain to vote for conservatives

par 3 1885- results in Ireland 85 seat out 103 and one in england
    results in england liberals 335 conservatives 249
    results in Ireland showed strong religious divide
    parnell has balance of power
    open up way for political alliance
    hawarden kite

par4- hr bill, gladstone becomes PM very little government
    Give a few terms
    Hr would apply to all of Ireland
    contribute one fifteeth to imperial revenue
    Mps wouldnt be allowed to sit at westminister if it was granted
    Queen Victoria against
    strong opposition coming form ulster"will be right" "ulster will emerge victorious

par5 Bill defeated 343-313
    Elections 1886 conservatives win 299-191
    93 liberals vote against it
    embarrassment for Gladstone
    Conservatives in power for next 20 years Policy of Killing Hr with kindness
    Home rulers would have to be very patient

par6-Uncrowened king of Ireland to his downfall
    pigott forgeries
    Kathy oshea
    affair
    divorce
    trial
    catholic church
    reputation down

par7
    parnellites v anti parnellites
    Parnell loses leadership
    contest 3 by elections but loses
    dies 1891 of a fever
    possilby stress???
    200000 attend funeral
    guard of honour massive

par8 refer back to question
    extra info for a good conclusion up to yourself
    Maybe his roll in the land league and land agitation or hr with john redmond or implications the elections had on ireland!

now thats leavong out an incredible amount about him before the elections!you could really go on for pages and pages about Parnell!ders too much on him in the book to be honest!

anyone got tips for an essay on the apprentice boys of derry,
    i find this to be a very limited topic for a full question on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

definitely don't drop down to pass on the day...there is loads more focus on key personalities, dont know bout you but i wouldnt be able to write about them...

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

decster wrote: »
    anyone got tips for an essay on the apprentice boys of derry,
    i find this to be a very limited topic for a full question on it.
    +1!

i dont quite follow that:(::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

decster wrote: »
    i dont quite follow that:(::confused:
    i was asking the same question you were! i just wouldn know what to write about them there is so little on them in my text book!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

sron wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be any mention of Ireland post-1949. Any predictions? Unlike most here, our class never even touched anything pre-home rule.

snap. i'd recommend giving a look over the National Coalition , and also the political instability of the 1980's.

come on church state relations!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

PLEASE PLEASE will some one give me a plan for church state realtions!! i begging i dont where to look or what to writE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

PLEASE PLEASE will some one give me a plan for church state realtions!! i begging i dont where to look or what to writE!

oh yeah, thats one of my best essays.....i'd say
    • "honeymoon period" with the church in italy 1922
    • Latern Treaty 1929 and the details of that
    • mussolini bans catholic action 1933
    • Manifesto Della Razza and churchs opposition 1937
    • censorship of l'osservatore romano 1940
    so that italy, with a few more details. for germany:
    • concordat with the church 1933
    • reichskirche july 1933
    • confessional church 1934 led by barth and niemoller. send an open letter criticising hitler 1936, arrested.
    • cardinal von galen speaks out against euthanasia 1940
    • theologian boenhoeffer opposes nazi rule and is arrested
    • pope publishes "with burning anguish" criticising nazis failure to uphold the concordat
    • criticism of christian response to the holocaust
    • johnathon stark leader of jehovahs witnesses executed for refusing conscription.
    so yeah, just fill that out and go on about how at first the church liked fascism as it was an alternative to communism, but then it went a bit sour. its not that bad

Advertisement