Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Godsend! thank you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ThatWouldBeNice

I will cry if the moon landings come up. :mad:

Ideal paper for me:

Dictatorship and democracy: Anything from Anti-Semitism, Church-State, the Purges and Show Trials, the causes of WWII, Soviet Economy, Home Front.

Movt. for Political and Social Reform: 85/86 elections, something vague on Parnell (strengths/weakeness - I could just about compare him with Butt), Unionism, Cultural Nationalism. I may look at Land Reform just in case it comes up.

Pursuit of Sovereignity etc: Causes for Rising and why did it fail, Rise of 2nd SF, Causes of Civil War and why the Regulars won, the Impact of War, Anglo-Irish relations, compare C n G and FF. I'll have a quick look at culture, too.

I'm ****ting myself, this is the topic I really want to get an A in, but it could so easily go wrong. Just, please God - no astronauts :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

worst case scenario and astronauts do come up we will lose about 20 marks on the contextualisation and can bull the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyKeaneNO16

What do people think is the most likely case study to come up

would church state relations and the show trials cover me in european

i am really bad at history and just want a d1 so any tips would be nice

What do people think is the most likely case study to come up

would church state relations and the show trials cover me in european

i am really bad at history and just want a d1 so any tips would be nice

Church-State is widely tipped to come up. My teacher is pushing Show Trials too (it's importance in Stalin's reign). I'd learn something about the Nazis or Mussolini and friends just to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Church-State is widely tipped to come up. My teacher is pushing Show Trials too (it's importance in Stalin's reign). I'd learn something about the Nazis or Mussolini and friends just to be sure.

In one of the sample papers there's a question on the role of terror in Stalin's regime 1924-39. Do you think that's the kind of question that will come up? Or could it be more specific than that like only on the purges and show trials?

Hmmm, think it could be a question like ''What role did the Show Trials play in Stalin's reign". That leaves you room to mention his policy of control by fear, his personality blah blah. The questions are always vague enough for you to be able to fit in lots of things.

Sorry - didn't mean to press submit. Anyway, as long as you reference to the question (eg. end your paragraph by saying "Therefore the Show Trials highlight Stalin's jealous, paranoid personality" or something) and you'll be fine. The markers want to give you points.

Also, I think, you will only lose marks in the 40-mark section on how well you answer the question. If you know enough facts, even if it is not strictly relevant, you should still get your 60 marks for facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Hmmm, think it could be a question like ''What role did the Show Trials play in Stalin's reign". That leaves you room to mention his policy of control by fear, his personality blah blah. The questions are always vague enough for you to be able to fit in lots of things.

Thanks. Not sure if I'll do it if it comes up. I know the Communism chapter well enough but I'd probably do better in a question on facism.

"What role did the Show Trials play in the rise of Fascism in the church-state dominated world of inter-war Europe? Comment on the economic, social and sporting effects it had on ONE named Eastern European town. Make references to Adrienne Rich in your answer."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

I haven't started any history yet though I have good general knowledge of it and have always done well. If I had about 6 hours to do it, what would you recommend to do As in what are your tips to come up?
    I have a pretty retentive memory so really only have to read something once to know it.

Dumbledore wrote: »
    I haven't started any history yet though I have good general knowledge of it and have always done well. If I had about 6 hours to do it, what would you recommend to do As in what are your tips to come up?
    I have a pretty retentive memory so really only have to read something once to know it.

Church-State.
    85/86 elections.
    Contrasting economic policies of FF and CnG.

They're my three bankers on coming up. Of course you should do a bit more, though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

what topics are you doing?

thanks mate just wondering aswell theres a question about cinema and music in the american section hasnt come up before do you think that could come up thats an easy enough essay alot of common sense on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

what topics are you doing?

There was a brown book with Hitler on the front, a blue book with MLK on the front I believe, a green book about Irish history that had I think was Padraig Pearse on the front, and what I think was a beige book about American history?

There was a brown book with Hitler on the front, a blue book with MLK on the front I believe, a green book about Irish history that had I think was Padraig Pearse on the front, and what I think was a beige book about American history?

haha why dont you get out exampapers and have a look at the sections you have coverd look at the questions which make sens for you

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

mikeglee wrote: »
    I'm sorry that I have no information but I just want to make it known that I really wanted to do history. How is it?

It's freaking horrible.

I'm doing Ireland 3 and 6 and Europe 3.

The case studies for every topic have to come up, so I'm concentrating on them, and causes/effects. That means roughly 9 essays to learn off. In 2 days. Yikes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

It's freaking horrible.

I'm going Ireland 3 and 6 and Europe 3.

The case studies for every topic have to come up, so I'm concentrating on them, and causes/effects. That means roughly 9 essays to learn off. In 2 days. Yikes!

9 ain't bad! Read the chapters on each and all relevant material then write a PLAN that you can learn.

This skeleton of an essay you can rewrite on scrap paper on the day or on your exam paper and then fill in with your facts. Don't be writing out essays - just write out key points and facts. Wasting time otherwise - learn plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Why is everyone focusing on case studys for the essay questions? At the most 1 will come up from each topic and thats being optimistic, and theres not nearly enough in the book to write about them! :confused:

The only one I'm doing is the Show Trials, and that only would get me two pages MAX of writing from the content.

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Why is everyone focusing on case studys for the essay questions? At the most 1 will come up from each topic and thats being optimistic, and theres not nearly enough in the book to write about them! :confused:

The only one I'm doing is the Show Trials, and that only would get me two pages MAX of writing from the content.

The content of a terrible textbook? Get researching, get a revision book that's worth its price, go! Now! Run! D:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Claypigeon wrote: »
    The content of a terrible textbook? Get researching, get a revision book that's worth its price, go! Now! Run! D:

I mean that I have most of the actual core stuff done-brit and france inter war, neutrality, mussolini hitler etc. I'm just wondering why theres such a love fest with case studys like the show trials, church state relations and so on?

I always believed they supplemented your answer, for e.g what Jarrow March symbolised is pretty much a brit question with the case study thrown in:)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

for the northern ireland 1949-1993 topic would i be covered with:
    the sunningdale agreement
    direct rule
    o'neill as pm
    religious affiliation

Gi joe! wrote: »
    I mean that I have most of the actual core stuff done-brit and france inter war, neutrality, mussolini hitler etc. I'm just wondering why theres such a love fest with case studys like the show trials, church state relations and so on?

I always believed they supplemented your answer, for e.g what Jarrow March symbolised is pretty much a brit question with the case study thrown in:)

Yes, that is true to some extent. But it is stated that case studies will come up every year.

When asked on the Jarrow March you're right - you don't just document it but you need to talk about the wider situation and "contextualise" almost as you would in the doc q!

for the northern ireland 1949-1993 topic would i be covered with:
    the sunningdale agreement
    direct rule
    o'neill as pm
    religious affiliation

I'm going for something in relation to the various groups such as Apprentice Boys, perhaps the GAA and the likes within the North and all of the Orange Orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lee W

American Section:
    Montgomery Bus Boycott

Irish Section:
    Rise of Second Sinn Féin Party
    Home Rule

European Section:
    Church-State Relations
    Anglo-American Popular Culture
    Rise of Fascism in Europe
    Anti-Semitism and Nazi Persecution of the Jews

Northern Ireland:
    The Welfare Sate
    Apprentice Boys of Derry

....those are my predictions anyway, my teacher's too!....

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

Seeing as we don't have a thread, or one I can find anyway!

What's everyone's predictions then?? I've done the case studies from each module. Thinking of looking over some stuff over the next few days. What about you guys?

My last exam too. :D

lucky lucky person!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

Lee W wrote: »
    American Section:
    Montgomery Bus Boycott

Irish Section:
    Rise of Second Sinn Féin Party
    Home Rule

European Section:
    Church-State Relations
    Anglo-American Popular Culture
    Rise of Fascism in Europe
    Anti-Semitism and Nazi Persecution of the Jews

Northern Ireland:
    The Welfare Sate
    Apprentice Boys of Derry

....those are my predictions anyway, my teacher's too!....

whats the welfare state.cant remember hearing about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lee W

its when Lord Brookeborough set up a number of reforms in NI in the 1960's ...health, housing, social welfare and education...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

Once i get any topic I can remotely do everything should be fine.

Our teacher let us see our mock before we did it and I picked all my essays and got a B3 which was good cos I knew I was answering the essays in the correct way.

Now without the advantage of knowing whats on it I hope I can get the same or higher and I didnt even prepare my essays either for my mock EFFORT of that! Only hystericals would do that *cough insane people learning off essays in engl paper 2*:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Claypigeon wrote: »
    I'm going for something in relation to the various groups such as Apprentice Boys, perhaps the GAA and the likes within the North and all of the Orange Orders.

Does it actually say somewhere the case studies have to come up?
    I always thought it was like the woman poet in English, doesn't have to come up but generally does!

Advertisement