Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭ak51535

I hate history. All my teacher did for the last 2 years was make us underline random points, and say "you'll get a good paragraph on that"
    I had the same dope for geography....-sigh- but! at least i wont have to see him again!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Lee W wrote: »
    American Section:
    Montgomery Bus Boycott

Irish Section:
    Rise of Second Sinn Féin Party
    Home Rule

European Section:
    Church-State Relations
    Anglo-American Popular Culture
    Rise of Fascism in Europe
    Anti-Semitism and Nazi Persecution of the Jews

Northern Ireland:
    The Welfare Sate
    Apprentice Boys of Derry

....those are my predictions anyway, my teacher's too!....

i don't know about being covered for the irish bit with just those two. im looking at the economic policies of cumann na ngaedhael and fianna fail 1922-1939 to be sure. that could be a question on either or both together....

lets all just hope sinn fein and the 1918 general election is there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

i don't know about being covered for the irish bit with just those two. im looking at the economic policies of cumann na ngaedhael and fianna fail 1922-1939 to be sure. that could be a question on either or both together....

lets all just hope sinn fein and the 1918 general election is there

Good predictions in combo with the other post.

Apprentice Boys are very likely but know about the Orange Orders and their lodges and the various other Unionist groups and "traditions" (grrr@them)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Right, I'm doing:

America
    Bus Boycott , and I'll probably briefly glimpse over the moon landing but I don't think (I hope anyway) that it'll be asked at HL

Dic. and Dem.
    Church State relations in Italy and Germany
    Anti-Semitism ( I mean I may as well, it fits into both)
    Rise of Fascism hopefully if I find the time

Ireland 1870-1914
    Not my strongest point, I'm gonna do
    1885/1886 elections
    Strike and Lock out
    Go over some Parnell quickly

Ireland... something or other (De valera book anyway)
    Rise of Sinn Féin 2
    Econimic policies

My RSR went very well too, so hopefully it will be a nice exam!

Aye my RSR went great too, turned out with the feel of a proper piece of research and critical analysis, hard work and we worked up 'til 8pm the night before but got it in and dealt with happily in the end.

As for case studies, there's always one in the four qs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

Are we expected to write short introductory paragraphs for our essays like in english p2? I never have but usually get high marks.

Also, my teacher is almost certain an easy question will come up on the 3rd French Republic.

sron wrote: »
    Are we expected to write short introductory paragraphs for our essays like in english p2? I never have but usually get high marks.

Also, my teacher is almost certain an easy question will come up on the 3rd French Republic.

It's a matter of style, if you start from the start it will logically act as in introduction. I myself tend to write some general background ie if I'm talking about the rise of fascism I'll mention the economic situation and the like - the thing with introductions though is that they are a paragraph and you are marked per paragraph in History so ensure that every one of your para's has facts and not just mere waffle or repetition.

Particularly the conclusion - the marking scheme reads that a conclusion should be more than "mere repetition" - a way to avoid this is to add in a modern day consequence. Ie in the persecution of Jews/anti-semitism mention how the state of Israel grew and how Jewish communities appeared in various countries when they fled Germany and other countries. Some of this was said on C2306.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭decster

church state relations is a grand topic. talk about how mussolini resolved the churches conflict with the papal state. latern treaty.
    then go on how they they compromised with each other and then about their conflict over youth movements and criticism of the treatment of jews.etc.
    then similar for germany. how hitler made the reichkirche out of the protestant religions, then talk about how public bishops were not arrested but priests and nuns were persecuted. should be loads in dictatorship and democracy

The books are terrible and so non-linear imo :( Wis they did everything in the right order if you get what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Actually now I think back, Fascist foreign policy was a very substantial topic. This may also be examinable because it incorporates Mussolini into the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭phase-3

Can anyone put up a plan for a Q on the 1885-1886 elections? What kind of Q's can they ask on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ThatWouldBeNice

phase-3 wrote: »
    Can anyone put up a plan for a Q on the 1885-1886 elections? What kind of Q's can they ask on that?

The question might be something like "What was the importance of the '85/'86 elections". You could then talk about how:

...it showed he IPP's dominance in Ireland...
    ...it marked the high point of CSP's career (talk about his positive characteristics that contributed to this)
    ...it highlighted a demographic political divide between North and South, Catholic and Protestant...
    ...it provoked a rise in Unionism...
    ...it changed British politics (as it created a Cons-Unionist alliance)
    ...it was the first time HR had been seriously debated and considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

It might be incorporated into a more general Parnell question - it might not be there as a standalone question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ThatWouldBeNice

ALincoln wrote: »
    It might be incorporated into a more general Parnell question - it might not be there as a standalone question.

As in something like "In what way was the 85/86 elections the highpoint of CSP's career?", or something like that? :( I hope not, I'm not too good at Parnell's whole career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

On Parnell you could get a question like: Who was the more effective leader of the HR party, Butt or Parnell.

our teacher swore by that question. Could easily show up!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hellsing

I'm praying for Church/State relations. There's so much you can write and I know it well. It's the best essay I could possibly get on the paper. My teacher reckons it's very likely to appear but not exactly a dead cert. Here's hoping :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

I'm stressing over History big time at the minute. This is basically all I'm doing...

Europe
    Church-state relations in Italy and Germany
    Anti-Semitism and the Holocaust
    Stalin's Show Trials

Ireland Topic 2
    Home Rule - Isaac Butt/Parnell
    Strike and Lockout
    1885/6 Elections

Ireland Topic 3
    Economic Policies of Sinn Fein and Cumann na Gael
    Rise of F.F/decline of C na G
    Rise of S.F/decline of H.R.

Should that be ok or does anyone want to give advice? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

I'm stressing over History big time at the minute. This is basically all I'm doing...

Europe
    Stalin's Show Trials

Ireland Topic 2
    Strike and Lockout
    1885/6 Elections

Ireland Topic 3

Maybe look over economies and propogada of Nazi Germany and Italy, just so you have an overview of the whole Fascism topic(barring foriegn policy)

Stalins eco policies like collectivisation too, so you can incorporate that into your Show trials, as guys who blamed his policies bit the dust:o

What are you saying for rise of FF and decline CNG?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hellsing

Europe
    Stalin's Show Trials

Ireland Topic 2
    Strike and Lockout
    1885/6 Elections

Ireland Topic 3

For Europe and Ireland Topic 3, I'm doing more or less the same thing, it should be grand. I do Politics and Society in NI so I don't know much about Topic 2

Claypigeon wrote: »
    The books are terrible and so non-linear imo :( Wis they did everything in the right order if you get what I mean

i suppose so. i got the essay off the guy in trinity so i have a good essay ready to learn off.
    do a bit of internet searching. you might find some good stuff.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

i feel like the only person not doing Irish Topic 2 - Movements for Reform and the european one, Dictatorship and Democracy!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyKeaneNO16

Does anyone think the cinema section with charlie chaplin will come up thats easy enough but hasnt come up before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Maybe look over economies and propogada of Nazi Germany and Italy, just so you have an overview of the whole Fascism topic(barring foriegn policy)

Stalins eco policies like collectivisation too, so you can incorporate that into your Show trials, as guys who blamed his policies bit the dust:o

What are you saying for rise of FF and decline CNG?

Thanks for you advice!
    For rise of F.F./decline of C na G, I'm doing the following:
    • Setting up of Fianna Fail - De V. leaving Sinn Fein, setting up F.F, aims of F.F, C na G becoming unpopular due to their policies, losing seats in election.
    • Fianna Fail in the Dail - Assassination of Kevin O'Higgins,C na G passing Electoral Amendment act, forced F.F into parliamentary politics, 1927 General Election.
    • Advance of Fianna Fail - opposing C na G, kept close links with IRA, combining Republic agenda with a social and economic policy, C na G had a much smaller support base.
    • F.F vs C na G - F.F grew in popularity, local branches, better organisation, C na and their policies became unpopular, de V. seen as charimatic while Cosgrave seen as uninspiring and pro-British.
    • 1932 Election - bitterness and tension, C na G argued their record in govt. over the past decade, F.F presented cautious reform programme and downplayed Republicanism, C na G stressed F.F links with IRA, F.F said C na G were pro-British
    • Transfer of Power - results of election, C na G were now tired, poorly organised, no answer to economic problems and unpopular policies, those defeated in Civil War now took over country, peaceful transfer of power showed democratic stability of Free State.
    Phew, that's my revision of that done. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

In terms of elections (for both the Irish topics in particular) do you guys remember how many seats the parties get eg Home Rule/Unionists or FF and CnG in all the elections?

In class tests I can because we're given the weekend to study a couple of chapters and one essay will come up. But now that it's the actual leaving cert there's no way I'll remember those specifics. And it makes the essay much better to say how many seats they won instead of just "FF got the majority".

Hope I'm not alone here....?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

In terms of elections (for both the Irish topics in particular) do you guys remember how many seats the parties get eg Home Rule/Unionists or FF and CnG in all the elections?

In class tests I can because we're given the weekend to study a couple of chapters and one essay will come up. But now that it's the actual leaving cert there's no way I'll remember those specifics. And it makes the essay much better to say how many seats they won instead of just "FF got the majority".

Nah I'm the same, in the economic expansion essay I can never remember figures for economic growth and stuff either! I'm really just hoping to remember the general gist of everything, doubt I'll remember anything very specific!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Ive narrowed mine down to about 3 posiblities from each book....

Bit of a gamble but ill chance my arm anyway.

The docements is pretty much guaranteed to be montgomery bus boycott right?

Dr Gradus wrote: »
    Ive narrowed mine down to about 3 posiblities from each book....

Bit of a gamble but ill chance my arm anyway.

The docements is pretty much guaranteed to be montgomery bus boycott right?

no moon landings have a good possibility of coming up rather than bus boycott. study both to be safe.

you dont really need the figures. my teacher just told us to have the main gist of it and get the main points across. no loss of marks for no figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

decster wrote: »
    you dont really need the figures. my teacher just told us to have the main gist of it and get the main points across. no loss of marks for no figures.

Our teacher told us to make them up if we can't remember them, and that we'd be fine as long as they were vaguely right.

But she's not a very good teacher, so...

• Advertisement

i'd rather just have the points that one side faired a lot better than the other, rather than make up figures,and the examiner knew them by freak chance. then marking me crap cos they would think i'm some idiot.

Advertisement