Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

Not looking forward to this exam at all, i'm hoping i'll be pleasantly surprised :rolleyes: I'm going to try and cover:

Irish Topic 2:
    Conservative/ Liberal's solution to the Land Question (1870-1914)
    1885/1886 Elections
    Parnell (a little)
    Strike and Lockout (please come up)
    GAA/ Cultural Nationalism
    The Suffrage Movement
    Irish Nationalism and Unionism

Topic 3:
    Third Home Rule Bill/ Crisis
    Padraig Pearse and the Easter Rising
    Growth of Sinn Fein/ Decline of Home Rule
    War of Independence
    Treaty Negotiations
    Cosgrave Government
    Eucharisitic Congress
    Anglo Irish Relations
    Fianna Fail/ Cumman na nGaedheal's Economic Policies

Europe:
    Lenin/ Stalin
    Mussolini all
    Hitler all
    Jarrow Marches
    Outbreak of WW2

America:
    Moon Landing
    Montgomery Busboycott
    May look over Vietnam (?)

I have the notes made out I just have to relearn them, yuck. Thank god I don't do Irish.. It's gonna be a fun couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Our teacher told us to make them up if we can't remember them, and that we'd be fine as long as they were vaguely right.
    I wouldn't.

If I was correcting I'd be much happier to see an accurate statement of fact, without detailed numbers, than an inaccurate set of numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Getting a figure wrong makes a bad impression.
    Not mentioning a figure makes no impression in that regard.
    Go for the lesser of the evils! And remember, a good general grasp of the facts and sensible accompanying analysis is far more appealing than a litany of numbers (some of which may be incorrect).

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭questionmark

can sum 1 please help me please? i am trying to a essay on the apprentice boys of derry but i am only able to write about 2 and a half pages:( , i am prob leaving alot out, and am not sure what i should include. has any1 already done this essay or could sum1 help me make a plan 4 it?
    thank you very much:confused::confused::confused:

If anyone has an outline plan for :

"Compare and contrast the economic policies of Fianna Fail and Cumann na nGaedheal"

could they please put it up. Thanks! I have no idea how to structure that type of essay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cloak

Anybody know whats on the ordinary level sylabus?? Teacher left those who became too lazy for higher level in the dark:(

dont have anything to work with!!!???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

cloak wrote: »
    Anybody know whats on the ordinary level sylabus?? Teacher left those who became too lazy for higher level in the dark:(

dont have anything to work with!!!???

Concentrate at this late stage on the case studies and only the case studies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

-ME- wrote: »
    If anyone has an outline plan for :

"Compare and contrast the economic policies of Fianna Fail and Cumann na nGaedheal"

could they please put it up. Thanks! I have no idea how to structure that type of essay.

For this question deal with C na G first and then FF. The last paragraph then can be used to compare the two polices.

Plan:

C na G.
    1. Economic realities (country ravaged by civil war, affected by global events), Aims of C na G - 'balance the books', finance minister Ernst Blythe
    2. Agriculture - main priority of the Gov - mention agr. minister
    3. Industry - Shannon Scheme

FF
    4. Economic aims - protectionism, Sean McEntee - Finance Minister, James Ryan - Agr Minister, Sean Lemass - Industry and Commerce
    5. The Economic War 1932 - 1938 - causes, the Coal-Cattle Pact and the 1938 Anglo-Irish Agreements, effects (maybe two paragraphs)*
    6. Agriculture - switch to tillage farming, incentives
    7. Industry - Lemass - protectionist
    8. Social Policy - pensions to orphans, widows etc

9. Conclusion:

C na G laid foundations, affected by the Wall Street Crash.
    FF - Economic War hurt farmers, social policy was much more generous than C na G. Then maybe give your own opinion on which was better but keep it to one short sentence.

*Note that the Economic War can be used for Anglo-Irish Relations and Economic Policy and a question on Dev so it's NB.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

ateam wrote: »
    For this question deal with C na G first and then FF. The last paragraph then can be used to compare the two polices.

Plan:

C na G.
    1. Economic realities (country ravaged by civil war, affected by global events), Aims of C na G - 'balance the books', finance minister Ernst Blythe
    2. Agriculture - main priority of the Gov - mention agr. minister
    3. Industry - Shannon Scheme

FF
    4. Economic aims - protectionism, Sean McEntee - Finance Minister, James Ryan - Agr Minister, Sean Lemass - Industry and Commerce
    5. The Economic War 1932 - 1938 - causes, the Coal-Cattle Pact and the 1938 Anglo-Irish Agreements, effects (maybe two paragraphs)*
    6. Agriculture - switch to tillage farming, incentives
    7. Industry - Lemass - protectionist
    8. Social Policy - pensions to orphans, widows etc

9. Conclusion:

C na G laid foundations, affected by the Wall Street Crash.
    FF - Economic War hurt farmers, social policy was much more generous than C na G. Then maybe give your own opinion on which was better but keep it to one short sentence.

*Note that the Economic War can be used for Anglo-Irish Relations and Economic Policy and a question on Dev so it's NB.

i agree........also remember that cumann na gaedhael were all for free trade in as much as possible, compared to the protectionism of FF. i would mention the influence that JJ McElligott and J Brennan had on government economic policy at this time also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

^^Thanks for that. I've never written a 'compare' type essay. When I see a question like that I just get thrown because I think I have to make loads of comparisons throughout. But if I do it as in your plan, CnG first, then FF, it's a grand essay to get.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Yeah thanks a million, that's really really helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

I actually enjoy writing about Fianna Fail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

How much do you have to write for the document question? I don't have a clue how to answer it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ThatWouldBeNice

bricky10 wrote: »
    I actually enjoy writing about Fianna Fail :)

Nerd :pac:

Yeah it's a grand essay to get, compare and contrast essays are generally a lot simpler than single-topic essays, if that makes sense :cool:

Doc question essay is about 2 pages - no time for an intro or big conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Is it guaranteed that at least one case study will come up on each topic? Eg. If I decided to learn the 3 case studies from each book, I'd be guaranteed to be able to do an essay from each section?

Or is it just likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

i think its just that there tends to be a case study each year, but i dont think they have to according to the syllabus...kind of like english and the whole women poet thing! not 100% bout this though!:rolleyes:

creggy wrote: »
    How much do you have to write for the document question? I don't have a clue how to answer it :(

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ThatWouldBeNice

I answered it ;)

Aobut 2 pages, but no time for an intro or big conclusion.

I answered it ;)

Aobut 2 pages, but no time for an intro or big conclusion.

Thanks, but how much do you write for (a) (b) (c) parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

creggy wrote: »
    Thanks, but how much do you write for (a) (b) (c) parts?

From my mocks I did 2 pages for the document questions. The 5 markers only need a couple of lines, around 3-5 should do you

Right I'm gonna have this covered.

Irish 1:Rise of SF/Decline of HR party
    War of Indepence
    Cng/FF separately and eco policies together
    Maybe Dev's neutrality to be safe?

Irish 2:1st and 2nd inter party gov's
    Lemass
    Catholic Church
    Irish society 50's and 60's(not enough for q on its own)

Europe:Show Trials
    Anti-Semitism with Hitler
    Mussolini
    France

Reckon I'll be grand?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyKeaneNO16

Hello i have just been doing my cumman na ngaedhal and ff question and i was just wondering were will i bring jj mcelligot in to my answer whilst im comparing there policys or write a summary of his work at the end of my essay and what topic does this question come up in sorry that might sound dumb to all of you but i only started yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ~Becktron

Anyone else fcuked?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

I think everyone is ****ed :)
    Ah the joys of history

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

Is the 1st inter party government likely to come up this year?

Its aloada bollix.
    Any ideas of what might come?
    There's 5 books of hell we did, and thats way too much I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

I like the subject but I can't be the only one that intensely regrets picking it as a subject

sron wrote: »
    Is the 1st inter party government likely to come up this year?
    No idea...
    I dont even know what that is..
    Gotta look over this stuff some more.

Saul-Good wrote: »
    I like the subject but I can't be the only one that intensely regrets picking it as a subject
    Same..
    Intresting, but regret it with the amount to know and write tomorrow.
    The exams quite lengthly too.

(N)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

Whats everyone doing for the first Irish section..ie the Parnell section?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

northern ireland topic:
    • impact of the troubles on society/economy
    • sunnungdale/power sharing/its collapse
    • impact of the welfare state
    • northern ireland under o'neil
    • rise of the civil rights
    that should be enough ya??? now go do 3 more topics!

Advertisement