Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mistyman

any questions coming up on the dirty protests or Hblocks? wat do ye reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Gi joe! wrote: »
    From my mocks I did 2 pages for the document questions. The 5 markers only need a couple of lines, around 3-5 should do you

Right I'm gonna have this covered.

Irish 1:Rise of SF/Decline of HR party
    War of Indepence
    Cng/FF separately and eco policies together
    Maybe Dev's neutrality to be safe?

Irish 2:1st and 2nd inter party gov's
    Lemass
    Catholic Church
    Irish society 50's and 60's(not enough for q on its own)

Europe:Show Trials
    Anti-Semitism with Hitler
    Mussolini
    France

Reckon I'll be grand?:confused:

Think you should be good I've done the exact same. Theres too much to cover on History. I'm not going to learn essays though. Done that last year. Didn't work. Key points are better. Easier to learn. Just read the book. Most people who done essays in my class last year didn't do well at all because of the lack of remembrance of the exact essay threw a good few people right off. This new History structure should be scrapped. I barley was half way through my last essay last year and I'd be one of the quickest writers. History is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

This is what I've done so far:

Rise of Fascism
    Strike and Lockout
    Germanys Church State Relations
    Belfast during WWII

I will try to look over unionist opposition to home rule, the GAA, possibly the show trials, and maybe the 85/86 elections which everyone seems to have done.

I am seriously screwed if my essays don't come up.

moneyman wrote: »
    This is what I've done so far:

Rise of Fascism
    Strike and Lockout
    Germanys Church State Relations
    Belfast during WWII

I will try to look over unionist opposition to home rule, the GAA, possibly the show trials, and maybe the 85/86 elections which everyone seems to have done.

I am seriously screwed if my essays don't come up.

Slip in a 50 quid note. I'm hoping most if not all of those essays don't come up. Don't like them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Kurtza wrote: »
    Slip in a 50 quid note. I'm hoping most if not all of those essays don't come up. Don't like them :D

I picked those ones cause they're the easiest (at least I think they are). I can't get my head around the 85/86 elections and all that sh!t. But I'm going to have to give it a go.

I really want to get the honour in this. History is just so risky, though. Just no way of predicting what will come up. It's just hope.

If all else fails, I'll take on board your suggestion of the 50 quid. :D

• Advertisement

moneyman wrote: »
    I picked those ones cause they're the easiest (at least I think they are). I can't get my head around the 85/86 elections and all that sh!t. But I'm going to have to give it a go.

I really want to get the honour in this. History is just so risky, though. Just no way of predicting what will come up. It's just hope.

If all else fails, I'll take on board your suggestion of the 50 quid. :D

Nobody that I no of got anything above a B3 last year. Was shocking. All I can say is this and French are an Epic Fail for tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

History really is a TERRIBLE subject in my opinion, don't know why I took it.

Any maths-heads here that can calculate what % I need in the written exam tomorrow combined with say, 99/100 marks in the project to get a c3 or higher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Richyj_0

~Becktron wrote: »
    Anyone else fcuked?:rolleyes:

Utterly.:eek: Looks like we're all in the same boat here though...:)

Claypigeon wrote: »
    History really is a TERRIBLE subject in my opinion, don't know why I took it.

Any maths-heads here that can calculate what % I need in the written exam tomorrow combined with say, 99/100 marks in the project to get a c3 or higher?

Roughly 44%. I'm not a maths head at all!! :D

I'm planning on learning off 2 essays from each section that are likely and if 2/3 sections ends up done with the docu I should be fine for a c3 which is what I want, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Hello i have just been doing my cumman na ngaedhal and ff question and i was just wondering were will i bring jj mcelligot in to my answer whilst im comparing there policys or write a summary of his work at the end of my essay and what topic does this question come up in sorry that might sound dumb to all of you but i only started yesterday

bring him into a paragraph where its relevant in the essay. he's relevant at the cumann na gaedhael economic piece, when youre talking about the influences on government economic policy......that he was appointed secretary to the department of finance in the 20's and he advocated free trade for the free state.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyKeaneNO16

bring him into a paragraph where its relevant in the essay. he's relevant at the cumann na gaedhael economic piece, when youre talking about the influences on government economic policy......that he was appointed secretary to the department of finance in the 20's and he advocated free trade for the free state.

cheers pal thats a major help really hope this essay comes up tomorrow if i know this essay parnell and the lockout will i have enough in irish or am i way off what i need

Depends on how good they are, if you manage to average at 44/100 marks in each of the 3 essays and the document, providing you got 99/100 in the research study, then yes you're on target for a C3.

Richyj_0 wrote: »
    Depends on how good they are, if you manage to average at 44/100 marks in each of the 3 essays and the document, providing you got 99/100 in the research study, then yes you're on target for a C3.

Well, like I planned to do Civil Rights in NI for the mock and revised Hitler's foreign policy, and did the docu. Didn't get last essay done and got a C2 overall in that paper

You should be fine so...I got most of the last essay done and still only got a C3. I really want a B3 tomorrow but I'd say I'll probably get roughly a C2. Didn't do nearly enough study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

I have to stop looking at the clock. Also have to stop focusing too much on stuff I shouldn't, I've just wasted way too much time writing about de Valera. It's very easy to get sidetracked in History.....Don't suppose the entire History and Procedures of SCOTUS, its historical makeup and how cases are brought to it are that relevant to the African-American Civil Rights movement right? :) (I just found it all so interesting....)

I'm at a loss so as to what to know for the contextualisations - our teacher was crap and didn't really do this beyond

"Yeah right down stuff about the thing what they ask you in the thing okay yeah grand okay lol what did we all do on the weekend"

-_-

^Heh.

So does anybody have any useful links?
    Saul-Good wrote: »
    I like the subject but I can't be the only one that intensely regrets picking it as a subject

God yes. I'm so prone to going on tangents and confusing the importance of topics...its a nightmare :) At least it doesn't feel as desperately hopeless trying to cram for it like with Gaelige (Which I completely bombed in and I'm pretty sure if I really want to do what I want in College then I'm going to have to repeat the year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

Anyone have predictions for Northern Ireland 49-93? Beginning to freak out slightly...
    I kept texting in to countdown but to no avail :(:(
    any pointers would be much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Anyone have predictions for Northern Ireland 49-93? Beginning to freak out slightly...
    I kept texting in to countdown but to no avail :(:(
    any pointers would be much appreciated

The case studies.

• Advertisement

I'm starting to panic for the exact opposite reason I've been panicking (Is that really spelled with a K?) on all of the other tests, I have too many notes instead of not enough (I basically couldn't find any relevant Irish notes anywhere).

Is this enough to get me through?:
    *Montgomery Bus Boycott and the Contextualization of the African-American Civil Rights Movement
    *Cumann na Gheadhael Social/Economic Policies
    *de Valera and W.T. Cosgrave
    *Church/State Relations Nazi Ger. And Mussolini's Italy
    *Rise of Fascism Europe
    *Moon Landings/Space Race
    *Vietnam and Lyndon Johnson

Occono wrote: »
    I'm starting to panic for the exact opposite reason I've been panicking (Is that really spelled with a K?) on all of the other tests, I have too many notes instead of not enough (I basically couldn't find any relevant Irish notes anywhere).

Is this enough to get me through?:
    *Montgomery Bus Boycott and the Contextualization of the African-American Civil Rights Movement
    *Cumann na Gheadhael Social/Economic Policies
    *de Valera and W.T. Cosgrave
    *Church/State Relations Nazi Ger. And Mussolini's Italy
    *Rise of Fascism Europe
    *Moon Landings/Space Race
    *Vietnam and Lyndon Johnson

What about your fourth topic?

Leave out Vietnam.

Know the Economic War of the 1930s in case a question comes up on comparing FF's economic polices with C na G.

Risky in the Europe section - I'd learn one more topic. All of Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

feeeecccck

im beginging to freak out

ive an idea of

-treaty negotiations
    -cuman na ngeal n fianna fails economic policies
    -anglo irish relations
    -north and south in world war 2

-Women
    -Cultural nationalism
    -rise of sinn fein fall of home rule
    -parnell
    -industry in Belfast

-Hitler -rise,in power,foregin policy
    -Mussolini -rise,in power
    -Church state relations
    -propaganda/nuremburg rallies

would people say im safe with theese?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i'm not looking forward to this.but at least its not until the afternoon and i've the morning off

ateam wrote: »
    What about your fourth topic?

Leave out Vietnam.

Know the Economic War of the 1930s in case a question comes up on comparing FF's economic polices with C na G.

Risky in the Europe section - I'd learn one more topic. All of Hitler.

Oh yeah I'm doing the Economic comparison FF/CnaG, forgot to mention that. Thanks for the tips though. I shouldn't panic, I've still got a decent amount of time, I don't have French)

Vietnam was on last year so it won't be on this year, right? I know I must have gotten confused somewhere :( (I'm too dependant on going back over past papers, I wasn't thinking clearly.)

feeeecccck

im beginging to freak out

ive an idea of

-treaty negotiations
    -cuman na ngeal n fianna fails economic policies
    -anglo irish relations
    -north and south in world war 2

-Women
    -Cultural nationalism
    -rise of sinn fein fall of home rule
    -parnell
    -industry in Belfast

-Hitler -rise,in power,foregin policy
    -Mussolini -rise,in power
    -Church state relations
    -propaganda/nuremburg rallies

would people say im safe with theese?

Very safe there. For the 1870-1914 topic, the fall of HR is not covered in this topic nor is the rise of SF. It just deals with how SF came about i.e. it will stop at 1914. Parnell should come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

I need a B in history, is this enough?

Irish topic 2
    -Parnell and Butt
    -Consolidation of the Catholic Church
    -1885/1886 elections

Topic 3
    -FF & CnanG
    - Ireland N & S during WW2
    -SF 1918

Europe
    -Church state relations
    -Anti semitism
    -and a small glance over show trials.

and then Moonlanding + Montgomery

Anything I should add on to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

since evry1 else is doing it;

i have

Europe
    Mussolini Rise to Power/Domesitc and Foreign Policies
    Church-State Relations in Italy/Germany
    Anti-Semitism
    Show Trials
    Collectivisation
    Vichy France
    Anglo-American Pop Culture

Early Ireland
    1885/6 elections
    GAA problems
    Literary Revival
    Irish Language Revival
    Catholic Identity and DP Moran
    Unionist Opposition 1884-90

Later Ireland
    Treaty (Negotiations + Lead-Up to Civil War)
    Rise of 2nd Sinn Fein party
    Economy under successive govts 22-39
    Problems facing Devaleras neutral govt
    Effect of Partition on Economy and Society
    Michael Collins
    Belfast Blitz

Montgomery
    Martin Luther King role
    Why did it occur
    Effects of the Boycott

Space race
    Lead-Up
    As part of Cold War
    Mission itself

im feeling a bit paranoid im missing something though? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

ateam wrote: »
    Very safe there. For the 1870-1914 topic, the fall of HR is not covered in this topic nor is the rise of SF. It just deals with how SF came about i.e. it will stop at 1914. Parnell should come up.

blergh
    i always get those sections all mixed up
    id say ill be ok...just this is my most nerve wracking exam yet.:o

• Advertisement

I need a B in history, is this enough?

Irish topic 2
    -Parnell and Butt
    -Consolidation of the Catholic Church
    -1885/1886 elections

Topic 3
    -FF & CnanG
    - Ireland N & S during WW2
    -SF 1918

Europe
    -Church state relations
    -Anti semitism
    -and a small glance over show trials.

and then Moonlanding + Montgomery

Anything I should add on to that?

Europe is the only potential banana skin - people on this site seem pretty sure that Church-State Relations are going to come up but I would know all of Hitler's domestic and foreign policy (which includes Church-State Relations and Anti-Semitism).

* If a question comes up on persecution in Nazi Germany that means Anti-Semitism, Church-State Relations and you can even mention the Night of the Long Knives. Don't get confused if they use persecution in the question!

Advertisement