Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

since evry1 else is doing it;

i have

Europe
    Mussolini Rise to Power/Domesitc and Foreign Policies
    Church-State Relations in Italy/Germany
    Anti-Semitism
    Show Trials
    Collectivisation
    Vichy France
    Anglo-American Pop Culture

Early Ireland
    1885/6 elections
    GAA problems
    Literary Revival
    Irish Language Revival
    Catholic Identity and DP Moran
    Unionist Opposition 1884-90

Later Ireland
    Treaty (Negotiations + Lead-Up to Civil War)
    Rise of 2nd Sinn Fein party
    Economy under successive govts 22-39
    Problems facing Devaleras neutral govt
    Effect of Partition on Economy and Society
    Michael Collins
    Belfast Blitz

Montgomery
    Martin Luther King role
    Why did it occur
    Effects of the Boycott

Space race
    Lead-Up
    As part of Cold War
    Mission itself

im feeling a bit paranoid im missing something though? :S

A! Only thing - unionism question will more than likely go up to 1914 to include the Covenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Can somebody help a brother out with a good solid 1885/86 elections plan?
    On an essay about it's importance maybe? I forgot how stupid that case study was!

trying to slot the info into paragraphs is melting my brain!

phasers wrote: »
    Can somebody help a brother out with a good solid 1885/86 elections plan?
    On an essay about it's importance maybe? I forgot how stupid that case study was!

trying to slot the info into paragraphs is melting my brain!

1. Background - Parnell, HR leader, 1882 Kilmainham Treaty (focus now on HR)
    2. 1885 Election - Result - Parnell holds the balance of power, chooses Liberals
    3. 1886 HR Bill - Details of the bill - Bill is defeated, general election called
    4. 1886 Election - Election issue = HR for Ireland? - Liberals lose, Conservatives get into power
    5. HR goes into decline - Conservative policy of "killing HR with kindness"
    6. Emergence of unionism
    7. HR party splits over Parnell divorce
    8. Conclusion - 1885-1886 period, Parnell almost got HR but failed, unionists in the North get very motivated - a sign of things to come

This format applies to Parnell as well which is more likely to be asked as he didn't appear last year (just leave out the bit on unionism and details of the HR bill).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aleyra

Right im feeling a bit nervous so ( i curse who ever thought it was a good idea to put History on the same day as french:mad:) so do you think ill be alright with this.

D & D
    Chruch State relations inter war years under fascist dictators
    Hitlers Foreign Policy
    Anti semitism and the holocaust

Irish Topic 2
    Critically asses role of parnell
    Unionist opposition to HR till 1914
    What problems faced the Gaa
    Significance of 1885/6 elections

Irish Topic 3
    Eco and socity under Cna G and FF
    Anglo Irish relations

Document
    Bus Boycott.How/why started what did it lead to

Moon Landings-Contribution to Cold War

The study plan has gone out the window so im hoping ill be covered with this:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

I don't have an Irish topic apart from Sovereignty and Partition, we didn't go over one! He even only marked what topic in S&P to focus on in the exam papers, and there's no other marks on the page....gah. I never realised there are two Irish topics.

Sigh. -100 Marks.

• Advertisement

Occono wrote: »
    I don't have an Irish topic apart from Sovereignty and Partition, we didn't go over one! He even only marked what topic in S&P to focus on in the exam papers, and there's no other marks on the page....gah. I never realised there are two Irish topics.

Sigh. -100 Marks.

WHAT? Did your teacher not do a second Irish topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

treaty negotiations
    and for laughs civil war and war of indo
    rise of sinn fein in 1918 /home rule decline
    economic policys

dic and dem
    show trials
    soviet economy
    hitlers foreign policy

politics and socirty ie norn iron
    impact of troubles on economy
    welfare state
    fall of stormont/sunningdale
    civil rights movement

id bet a 100 euro i get atleast one of those for each topic

and an essay on collectivisation id walk out of i saw it tht would be disgraceful

ateam wrote: »
    WHAT? Did your teacher not do a second Irish topic?

No, let me rethink what I just implied :) I got a little over-dramatic there, sorry.
    I think after I failed my Pre he wanted me to focus on my better topics, and kept focus on S&P but I ended up forgetting to cover another Irish topic at all....Most of my recent notes don't cover one, I can't remember the last time we went over one. I think most people in the class aiming for an A worked by themselves. I have stuff to go over but it's too late to really learn enough to be safe.

Oh well, I'm not aiming for a high grade, I just need to pass.

Occono wrote: »
    No, let me rethink what I just implied :)
    I think after I failed my Pre he wanted me to focus on my better topics, and kept focus on S&P but I ended up forgetting to cover another Irish topic at all....Most of my recent notes don't cover one. I have stuff to go over but it's too late to really learn enough to be safe.

Oh well, I'm not aiming for a high grade, I just need to pass.

Fair enough...I still would write something, you never know what you might get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I'm awfully laid back, but not now. I'm in panic mode. French and history tomorrow. Could be disastrous.

Only topics I can write a solid essay on are:

Rise of Fascism in Interwar period
    Belfast during WW2
    Strike and Lockout
    Church state relations

I'm going to read over either Unionist opposition, Sinn Fein, or GAA, but I won't be able to write a good essay on any of them I don't think.

So basically I'm right to be cacking it?

On the bright side my research project was good, and hopefully I'll do respectable on the documents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

Guys What would you say for mini essay on "What was the significance of the Moon Landing 1969?"

Because all I can think of is it captured the national imagination and pushed Mother Russia aside!!

what else it there???

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

Guys What would you say for mini essay on "What was the significance of the Moon Landing 1969?"

Because all I can think of is it captured the national imagination and pushed Mother Russia aside!!

what else it there???

:eek:

- Signified the end of the space Race
    - It was a major victory for the capitalist west during the Cold War
    - Russia then began to build space stations instead of Space crafts
    - It fulfilled Kennedy's pledge to land on the moon before the end of the decade
    - It drew money away from Johnston's "Great society"
    - It Gave america a moral boost at a time when they were facing great difficulty in Vietnam
    - It undid all of USSR's previous achievements in terms of the Space Race

Thats all I can think of! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

What do people think is coming up for Northern Ireland?
    So far I've got Sunningdale and why it failed and the rise of the provos. I'd like another essay to have for 2moro, so any opinions?

Some of the posters could try rereading posts on here.

Moon Landing:

Give a long and detailed background paragraph.

Victory for the U.S. over the Soviets - propaganda triumph

Major television moment

Tech highpoint

Anti-climax

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

ok......above. basically the moon landing did quite the ****load as regards american society. first off, yeah, improved national morale, provided massive employment, showed how far technology had advanced by the end of the 60's, asserted the US's dominant position as world no.1, IMPORTANTLY.....fulfilled Kennedy's promise that the US would get a man on the moon by the end of the decade. so drag that out a bit. america also recieved a good worldwide image after this event, with praise coming from the pope and our very own jack lynch etc.

Ohhh and all I've learned is

Red Book:
    - Unionist Opposition to Home Rule
    - General question on Parnell
    - Strike and Lockout
    - 1885/1886 elections

Green Book:
    - Fianna Fail/Cumann na nGaedheal policies
    - Rise of Sinn Fein/Decline of Home Rule Party

Blue Book:
    - Hitler's foreign policy
    - Hitlers Anti-semitism
    - Nazi propaganda/Nuremburg rallies
    - Church-state relations
    - Stalin show trials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

What could come up in contextualisation about the Moon Landing? So far I have:

-Significance of moon landing

:confused:

or variations on that - but basically they'll ask that.

Have a detailed background paragraph ready which can be used on any question given.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

Ohhh and all I've learned is

Red Book:
    - Unionist Opposition to Home Rule
    - General question on Parnell
    - Strike and Lockout
    - 1885/1886 elections

Green Book:
    - Fianna Fail/Cumann na nGaedheal policies
    - Rise of Sinn Fein/Decline of Home Rule Party

Blue Book:
    - Hitler's foreign policy
    - Hitlers Anti-semitism
    - Nazi propaganda/Nuremburg rallies
    - Church-state relations
    - Stalin show trials

pretty much exactly what I've learned, except 1 or 2 more in topic2-irish and 1 or 2 less in europe... good luck to both of us I suppose :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

You could get something like;

"In what way did the moon landings (or space race) contribute to the Cold War?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

And how would you answer that?^
    Sorry for all the questions!

We wrote: »
    pretty much exactly what I've learned, except 1 or 2 more in topic2-irish and 1 or 2 less in europe... good luck to both of us I suppose :D

Haha thats somewhat comforting! Should none of that come up, I will make sure to send you an angry pm even though its not your fault! ;)

I just have the contextualization of the Space Race, and Cold War rivalry between The USSR and The US. Better go over it more.

I forgot: My teacher gave me the Apprentice Boys of Derry learned off too, I forgot that was not part of S&P :) So yeah I have four topics. See how confused and panicky -with a K, apparently- I am?

(Although is the Apprentice Boys enough on its own? I must be forgetting something now....Maybe I should stop coming back to this thread and focus on looking through my notes harder :) )

And how would you answer that?^
    Sorry for all the questions!

Erm, of the top of my head mention;

Belief in American Capitalism as superior over communism
    General Fear of being attacked
    Kennedy Making a promise
    McCarthyism and fear of communism
    Contest for prestige

They aren't in any particular order and are pretty bare-bones for answer. Just to give you a very general idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

what do you write if they ask you what the advantages are of a certain document, e.g. a political cartoon, etc.

what do you write if they ask you what the advantages are of a certain document, e.g. a political cartoon, etc.

For a cartoon you might say it is easy to read and it is immediately obvious what point it is trying to put across, and gives us an insight into the thoughts of the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

phlegms wrote: »
    For a cartoon you might say it is easy to read and it is immediately obvious what point it is trying to put across, and gives us an insight into the thoughts of the general public.

ah i see thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I was reading over the Bus Boycott there and was wondering what can they really ask about it?

I hope the Moon Landing comes up instead though. Such an interesting case study.

I know Vietnam is extremely unlikely (and probably impossible) but if it does come up, I'll be all: :(

Besides economic policies 1922-1939, what would you lads recommend having a quick read over in Ireland: Topic 3 ?
    Haven't got much of a notion of what to focus on in Topic 2 either, probably going to focus on the General Elections.

Davidius wrote: »
    I was reading over the Bus Boycott there and was wondering what can they really ask about it?

I hope the Moon Landing comes up instead though. Such an interesting case study.

Really? I find the whole African-American Civil Rights movement pretty interesting, personally. Also got into an unusual interest for the SCOTUS because of it. The Moon Landing/Cold War/Space Race is boring to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Going to study tomorrow for History... Didn't do a tap tonight... Going to revise essay plans for 5 diff essays that better come up ! lol

Advertisement