Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

ateam wrote: »
    amazingness
    I love you. Now I just have to pray for it to come up! but at least I can get a semi-decent Parnell answer now too, sure he has to come up doesn't he? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

what do you write if they ask you what the advantages are of a certain document, e.g. a political cartoon, etc.
    phlegms wrote: »
    For a cartoon you might say it is easy to read and it is immediately obvious what point it is trying to put across, and gives us an insight into the thoughts of the general public.
    Some advantages / disadvantages of pol. cartoons to the historian discussed here

Watch what you're asked ... the advantages of a cartoon / photograph / etc. to a general audience could be quite different from the advantages to a historian ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Can Anti-Semitism be covered under Church/State Relations in Nazi Germany? The Nuremburg Laws were racial policy but I'm guessing religious Jews were prevented from practicing their Religion freely...not a lot of information on that I can find though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

Occono wrote: »
    Can Anti-Semitism be covered under Church/State Relations in Nazi Germany?

nope.. Church :]

Can Anti-Semitism be covered under Church/State Relations in Nazi Germany? The Nuremburg Laws were racial policy but I'm guessing religious Jews were prevented from practicing their Religion freely...not a lot of information on that I can find though.
    Definitely, sure it's Hitler's relations with the Jews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

We wrote: »
    nope.. Church :]

But does "Church" have to mean Christianity? Did Synagogues and Rabbis have any political influence before Hitler rose to power?

Okay let me think this through one more time now that I've remembered everything:
    Case Study:
    Montgomery Bus Boycott (Civil Rights Movement, Martin Luther King)
    Moon Landings (Cold War, Space Race)

Sovereignty and Partition:
    How did Anglo-Irish Treaty, 1921, lead to Civil War
    *Cumann na Gheadhael Social/Economic Policies
    *Fianna Fail Economic Policies
    Compare the two.
    *study de Valera and W.T. Cosgrave

*Church/State Relations Nazi Ger. And Mussolini's Italy
    *Rise of Fascism Europe
    *Hitler's rise to Power

*Apprentice Boys of Derry
    (N.I. Civil Rights Movement? Where do I use this?)

Alright have to go to Bed, I just typed that for my own mental recap :)
    Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I was encouraged to stick in a paragraph on Chrystallnacht and the Holocaust if it didn't mention "christian church"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

But does "Church" have to mean Christianity?

Yes it does, churches arent relevant to Judaism.. also, anti-semitism is an essay in itself..

Here's my church/state relations essay plan. It's in my own note form, copy-paste job, so it may be hard to decipher, but hopefully it'll give you an idea..

Oh, red = Italy, purple = Germany, if it isn't obvious just by reading it ;D

edit- lol, just reading through the notes myself and realised that they probably look stupid to anyone else :p Also, there's unfinished sentences that I know the rest to myself,small abbreviations/codewords too that probably wont make much sense either...
    Starting to wonder if it was even worth posting lol ;p

/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=#4c1130][B]What were the main developments in church-state relations in Italy + Germany?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][B][COLOR=#4c1130][COLOR=#9FC5E8
    Intro: Many developments..both wanted full control, failed w/ religion.. will detail the developments..
    [Para2: Cath=main religion,**** relations since 1870..Mussolini took steps to improve;religion in schools,banned contrception-BattleOfBirths,marriage blessed-- these all improved **** a lot
    [Para3: 1929,Lateran(treaty+conc)-3 documents, recognise each other,£30mil for church,Muss decides on picking bishops,Cath is soul religion.. settled 59year dispute, big win++
    [Para4: further conflict,CathYouth,muss gets pwnd...show limits of his power..'enemy couldnt afford'..still, improvements were ++important, gogo muss-o
    [Para5: Hitler wanted control..hated jews,condemned christions..indirectly undermined religions..relations seemed good at start..'unshakable foundation'..churc felt better for family values
    [Para6: He made concordat-1933..promised to respec church rights IF.. soon broke this, arrested priests..claimed attacks only on political priests,pope pissed..pope published an encyclical, smuggled in churches-urged ppl to resist Nazis.. led to more attacks on the church+growing resentment..
    [Para7: During WW2,nazi's-euthanasia..church horrified,Cardinal Gallan wrote..condemned nazis...for this reason/otherwise, program stopped soon after..
    [Para8: Prods had it worse, many denominations=easier to influence for Nazis..est.Reichskirche,Hitler=messiah,meinkempf+sword...resistance built,led by Niemoller,est. Confessional Church to divert, but resistance=conc. camp,(c.800 priests interned).. Hitler succeeded a bit in weakening/control, failed to crush..only organisations provided proper resistance,not full churches.
    Concl: as can see, huge amount of developments in both.. both succeeded a bit in controling, but neither dominated...

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Nah, It's readabable. :P
    I think I'm pretty well set for this..
    Intending on covering:
    85/86 election,
    Strike and Lockout,

Rise of SF,
    Economnom policies of FF and CnG,

Show Trials and roboStalin,
    A night in Paris,
    Church relations with Mecha-Hitler and Mussolini.
    Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

A night in paris, is that the sex tape ?

• Advertisement

We wrote: »
    Yes it does, churches arent relevant to Judaism.. also, anti-semitism is an essay in itself..
    In this context, 'church' could be taken as meaning any religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Not long now. Absolutely bricking it. Stayed up all hours last night, I hope it was worth it.

I'll be devastated if today doesn't go well, and I'm already guaranteed to do poorly in French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

errlloyd wrote: »
    A night in paris, is that the sex tape ?

thats one night in paris :o

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Show Trials, will I bother to do it?

Have anti-semitism, Mussolini and Hitler but no foreign policy and France
    Could attempt church state relations but it would'nt be great:(

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Good luck everyone!
    Did HL history 2 years ago.
    Honestly, most fulfilling exam. The ammount of work that goes into it is unreal.
    So so happy when it was over! But I dunno.. Was my favourite subject in terms of studying. Am I wierd?? Was still brinkin it before the exam though.
    Hope everyone does alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

since evry1 else is doing it;

i have

Europe
    Mussolini Rise to Power/Domesitc and Foreign Policies
    Church-State Relations in Italy/Germany
    Anti-Semitism
    Show Trials
    Collectivisation
    Vichy France
    Anglo-American Pop Culture

Early Ireland
    1885/6 elections
    GAA problems
    Literary Revival
    Irish Language Revival
    Catholic Identity and DP Moran
    Unionist Opposition 1874-90

Later Ireland
    Treaty (Negotiations + Lead-Up to Civil War)
    Rise of 2nd Sinn Fein party
    Economy under successive govts 22-39
    Problems facing Devaleras neutral govt
    Effect of Partition on Economy and Society
    Michael Collins
    Belfast Blitz

Montgomery
    Martin Luther King role
    Why did it occur
    Effects of the Boycott

Space race
    Lead-Up
    As part of Cold War
    Mission itself

im feeling a bit paranoid im missing something though? :S

i was laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

i was laughing

jesus man you were sorted! I'm assuming you were going for an A1

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

i was laughing

What points did u make for the effects...just wondering cos im afraid i mite have ****e talked a bit about obama:S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Gi joe! wrote: »
    jesus man you were sorted! I'm assuming you were going for an A1
    I wasnt initially but now i think i might have nailed it
    peterc1991 wrote: »
    What points did u make for the effects...just wondering cos im afraid i mite have ****e talked a bit about obama:S
    talked alot about the new liberal whiote people and how the boycott provided a new respectable face for future civil rights activists, i backed this up referencing the choice of rosa parks as figurehead rather than delinquant youth claudette colvin, and boviously the providing of new leaders and furthering of organisations such as NAACP and Core

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

tankfully britain came up..that was a straight forward question if you knew if

but for the treaty question i wrote about the lead up to it and how it caused the pro treaty and anti treay split and the civil war.
    was this wrong? or would i still get some marks for writing about that??

• Advertisement
Advertisement