Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rewaxing a jacket?

Options
  • 06-06-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

anyone know if this is done in ireland, i have one that badly needs to be reproofed. it needs to be completly redone. it got used recently as a mat when i got stuck and i had to unravel the winch so when i did get loose i had to drive over it. it got a little mucky:D after handwashing it. it now needs to be waxed or binned. we 've got history so i'd like to fix it.
    I heard a vague suggestion that there's someone in clare who dose it
    anyone got info on them?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

triskell wrote: »
    anyone know if this is done in ireland, i have one that badly needs to be reproofed. it needs to be completly redone. it got used recently as a mat when i got stuck and i had to unravel the winch so when i did get loose i had to drive over it. it got a little mucky:D after handwashing it. it now needs to be waxed or binned. we 've got history so i'd like to fix it.
    I heard a vague suggestion that there's someone in clare who dose it
    anyone got info on them?
    Thanks in advance

Send it to Barbour or buy the wax yourself. Any decent dealers should have the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

i dont want to send it to england, but i'd still like to get it done professionally, if I have to do it myself i will but i'd rather not,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The procedure is simple enough by the looks of it. Spongewash with lukewarm water ( no soap ) dunk it into a tile with the wax mixture, leave it in for a while and hang to dry naturaly. No soap, no washing machines, no tumbledriers and no ironing...sounds like washing designed for men:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i have a babour beaufort, i washed it it tech wash and rinsed in a tech waterproofer when dry i re waxed with babour wax .

just warm the wax before you put it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

jwshooter wrote: »
    i have a babour beaufort, i washed it it tech wash and rinsed in a tech waterproofer when dry i re waxed with babour wax .

just warm the wax before you put it on

Spot on!

Best to have the wax almost liquid, use a fairly stiff paintbrush and a hairdryer when applying!

Works really well:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not to mind an extremly warm room.;)

Question on Barbours .Does anyone feel that the material in the newer models is somwhat rubbish??

I still have my first Barbour[Gamefair] bought in the 1980s,I have sent it once back to Barbour for the cuffs to be strengthened and re waxed ,and still use it as a work jacket.I bought another Gamefair in 1996 as a shooting coat,and it is worse condition than the 1980 model with less work and three waxes.
    Opinions?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Not to mind an extremly warm room.;)

Question on Barbours .Does anyone feel that the material in the newer models is somwhat rubbish??

I still have my first Barbour[Gamefair] bought in the 1980s,I have sent it once back to Barbour for the cuffs to be strengthened and re waxed ,and still use it as a work jacket.I bought another Gamefair in 1996 as a shooting coat,and it is worse condition than the 1980 model with less work and three waxes.
    Opinions?

Mine would be of the same era '88 bought it in australia. how much did it cost for rewax? I might just give it a try but i can't find any barbour wax around athlone anyone know who stocks it Thanks again lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

triskell wrote: »
    Mine would be of the same era '88 bought it in australia. how much did it cost for rewax? I might just give it a try but i can't find any barbour wax around athlone anyone know who stocks it Thanks again lads

mine must be 20 years old but it has got smaller over the years:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

No JW you just got bigger:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

jwshooter wrote: »
    mine must be 20 years old but it has got smaller over the years:eek:

I found the same - Jacket fits but sleeves got much shorter!!!

I found the material in the older ones (early 80's) superior to what's avaailable now........seemed to last no matter what you threw at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement