Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The o2 and standing area with seated tickets?

Options
  • 06-06-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question for anyone whos been in my predicement before. I went down to get Muse tickets early on the morning of release and i still missed out on the standing so I forked out for Seated tickets instead.

Now i know in the old point it was just a case of not going to your seat and heading into the general admission instead(this is the case for pretty much any other venue i can remember being in too).

When i was up at the o2 for megadeth never really paid any attention whatsoever to it exept that all the toilets/merch booths were on the ground floor which would lead me to believe this was still the case. I just wondering if anyone can verify that theres still no problem heading into general admission with seated tickets or have they someway to stop people from doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Mr.S wrote: »
    Whenever i've been in a venue that has both seated and standing tickets (o2, old Point, Ambassador, Olympia to name a few) theres always been people checking tickets going up to the seated sections, and the same for the enterance(s) to the standing area. Checking to see if you have the right ticket.
    Not in the old point, or the rds. They used to leave you in the same door as everyone else where the ticket was checked, the only time id had it checked again in the past was if i was heading into the seating area..

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

Patricide wrote: »
    Not in the old point, or the rds. They used to leave you in the same door as everyone else where the ticket was checked, the only time id had it checked again in the past was if i was heading into the seating area..

This was clamped down on after the Smashing Pumpkins gig where the poor girl died.... we had seats, but had no problem going in to the standing area (quickly went back upstairs when we realised how jammed it was)
    Weren't allowed to move around at later gigs

Nah there is seats at the rds(or at least there was at metallica a few years ago). When was this smashing pumpkins gig? Cause When i was at slipknot in 06(i think) at the point i had no worries moving freely. I just never went upstairs and went in the general cue, although they are a lot weirder with there entrances now...If worst comes to worst the plan is to try to get in after the first band plays and il say i threw away my ticket when i got in, what you think me odds of success are?

Mr.S wrote: »
    Very slim tbh, you might get lucky and get in but i wouldn't count on it, the last few times ive been there they've had everyone checking every ticket for both sections.
    Argh :(, o well hopefully someone will trade me tickets so(praying for a miracle). Either that or im gonna have to get poxy at the gig.

Where exactly are the ticket checkers in the o2? Im not doubting you in that they exist but im trying to make a contingency plan out, downstairs seemed pretty open last time i was there do they fence some of it off or somthing...my memory is hazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Just a quick question for anyone whos been in my predicement before. I went down to get Muse tickets early on the morning of release and i still missed out on the standing so I forked out for Seated tickets instead.

Now i know in the old point it was just a case of not going to your seat and heading into the general admission instead(this is the case for pretty much any other venue i can remember being in too).

When i was up at the o2 for megadeth never really paid any attention whatsoever to it exept that all the toilets/merch booths were on the ground floor which would lead me to believe this was still the case. I just wondering if anyone can verify that theres still no problem heading into general admission with seated tickets or have they someway to stop people from doing this?

Been at 2 gigs in the O2 once I was standing & the people I was that had seating tickets came down numerous times from the seats to stand during songs. The 2nd gig I was at, we were sitting & we left our seats midway through the gig as it was freezing in the seats & went down to the standing area. Nobody batted an eyelid at all, so you should be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Op I was at Judas Priest/Megadeth aswell and the huge differance was that it was far from sold out and people left after megadeth, so I think leeway was given to people moving around. I was told I could have a seat (wanted to see what the view was like) no problem at all.

I doubt it will be the same for a sold out gig.

After a good bit of thought id imagine that its the layout of the o2 on the day that will be the decider with the stage(if it comes out into the crowd etc) and if theres any seating on the ground.

Afaik its the same layout they used for priest feast seating wise so id say its the stage layout thats gonna matter most...No doubt they will be stricter with a sold out gig also. I think im going to search for a ticket exchange or else buy standing off a tout/ebay etc and sell the seated if i can, just for the sake of maybe getting into the pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

Nah there is seats at the rds(or at least there was at metallica a few years ago). When was this smashing pumpkins gig? Cause When i was at slipknot in 06(i think) at the point i had no worries moving freely. I just never went upstairs and went in the general cue, although they are a lot weirder with there entrances now...If worst comes to worst the plan is to try to get in after the first band plays and il say i threw away my ticket when i got in, what you think me odds of success are?

It was the Smashing Pumpkins gig at the Point back in 1996 (showing my age here)
    Maybe they let standards slip later, but there was a big crackdown (including a Dail debate on the issue) at the time...

Weird...Yeah they prob went crazy tight about it for a year or two then slipped the standards. Going off topic...damm you seeing the REAL smashing pumpkins!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement