Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with monte carlo excell coin flip?

Options
  • 06-06-2009 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi i need help in setting up a monte carlo excell sheet to simulate a coin flip .

while i already know how to do this part its the xtras im not sure of how to do which are as follows:

im trying to the same thing that declan meagher does mentioned on his webpage here
    http://www.declanmeagher.com/betting_bank&money_management.html

"I set up a Monte Carlo type spreadsheet to investigate. Excel has a random number generator which I use to simulate the toss of a coin. I enter the probability of success of 50% and the odds I’m getting of 2.05 and it will generate a 1 for heads and 0 for tails. I also enter my bank of €1000 and the percentage of my bank that I wish to stake on each bet".

Anybody know exactly how do all this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

anybod have any isdea how to set it the type of monte carlo sheet listed above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You could write it in code but if you're pretty inexperienced then the formula:

=IF(RAND()>0.5,1,0)

will "randomly" select either a 1 or a 0. Press f9 to refresh a new set of numbers and copy teh formula for as many cells as you need

hi thanks for the help, but do you know how i can do as described above?
    such as after i have that part mentioned above done how do i input the probability of what i want the odds to be ?
    basically as declan described on his website he set up an excell sheet like this and had a bank of €1000 and entered the probability of heads to be 2.05
    and then using a staking plan known as the kelly staking plan he bets 2.38% of his bank to return 4.879% (2.38*2.05).

this is the part that i have no idea how to set up?

Thanks
    Andrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

j2u wrote: »
    he set up an excell sheet like this and had a bank of €1000 and entered the probability of heads to be 2.05

You need to go back and re-read the article. The probability on a coin flip is _always_ 50:50. You're confusing odds with probability.

Hi perhaps i have used the wrong terminology , i know the probability of a coin flip is 50:50 but what the article is referring to is that if you could back a horse at higher odds than it is statistically possible ie. the true odds.
    so a the chances of getting heads or tails is 2.0 but say for example you found a bookie offering odds of 2.05 for it to be heads, then you would have a 2.38% edge and you should make profit from backing heads over time.
    He ran this experiment with a €1000 bank balance on an excell sheet, I would appreciate it if anybody knows how to do the same thinghe did?
    Thanks
    Andrew

• Advertisement
Advertisement