Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Febrel Convulsions

Options
  • 06-06-2009 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all, ended up in tallaght hospital last week with my 12 month old son who suffered 12 convulsions in 4 hours, were kept in for 3 nights and durin this time he suffered more, turned out he had a viral infection, gland infection and mumps. was a terrifying experience and was so frightened for him. staff were fantastic and once they explained the convulsions and how they were related to his temp and given the literature on febrel convulsions i felt a bit calmer.

I just can't put into words how frightening it was seeing him having those attacks and not being able to do anythin for him.
    Just wondering are there any other parents out there who have gone through the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Not as a parent, but I was that kid. My parents had a hard time with both me and my brother having them. We're both fine and no undue after affects.
    Hang in there, they will pass.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I hope your son is back to his old self very soon and that everything is ok.
    Had he had the MMR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shaz00

Aw thank u he is gettin back to himself now. Unfortunately he hadn't had his MMR was due to get it the day he landed in hospital! Is off to get it next week so touch wood this won't send his temp up.

He's booked in to have an EEG scan to check for epilipsy next month, a sleep scan. Don't know how im gonna get him asleep up there he's wired at the best of times :-)

Thanks barbie girl, good to hear from someone who has suffered them. Very frightening seeing him go through them. Great to know ye came out the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

My mum tells me I had a scan too, but I was awake. They told me I was getting curls but I had to be very still. So when they took it all off, everyone had to tell this little girl with glued together heair, that her curls were lovely ;) Oh and hide all the mirrors :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Aysha

Hi shazOO, My son had two febrile convultions attacks afew years ago, I was petrified on both occassions but doctors assured me that it was all to do with how fast the temprature rises and something he would grow out of, by the age of 5-6, if indeed it ever happened again and thankfully it didnt. He too had an ecg done and as the doctor suspected, he didnt have epilepsi.
    Incidently, the ecg was fine too,nothing to worry about , my little guy acually fell asleep.Try not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I had an EEG when I was around 11 or 12, I'd had seizures and epilepsy was suspected. They're not bad at all really, just a lot of wires stuck onto your head but it doesn't take too long and you can distract your child by singing to them or trying to soothe them if they're scared.

In my own case, epilepsy was confirmed but afaik most seizures in very young children are related to rapid rise in body temp... the majority of seizures will not lead to a diagnosis of epilepsy.

My wee girl hasn't had a febrile convulsion, never even had a temperature. She's never sick, not even a cold... she's only had 1 antibiotic since she was born in February 06. I'm afraid if she ever does get sick I won't know what to do! I actually find myself worrying that she DOESN'T get ill.... lol, I think it's just in any parents make up to worry for their kids.

Obviously folks, if your child suffers any sort of seizure, they need to see a GP as a matter of urgency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 P!nk

My son had them when he was around a year old, ended up in casualty that night and stayed. He also had an EEG in crumlin shortly after that because they weren't able to find anything wrong with him. You have to send them to bed later then normal and also wake them up earlier then normal aswell. They'll be very sleepy for the actual test.

I understand your panic when it happened, i have never experienced anything so frightning in my life, especially when his lips went blue and hopefully I never will again!

No cause was ever found for my son, they figured it was a one off. Maybe your experience will be the same.

P!nk wrote: »
    My son had them when he was around a year old, ended up in casualty that night and stayed. He also had an EEG in crumlin shortly after that because they weren't able to find anything wrong with him. You have to send them to bed later then normal and also wake them up earlier then normal aswell. They'll be very sleepy for the actual test.

I understand your panic when it happened, i have never experienced anything so frightning in my life, especially when his lips went blue and hopefully I never will again!

No cause was ever found for my son, they figured it was a one off. Maybe your experience will be the same.

Tnx P!nk for the reassurance. Ye they've sent us a letter re his sleep and to not let him sleep on the journey up - which is gonna be almost impossible :) Its the thoughts of feeling that fear again, it was so frightening. Touch wood it was a once off too and the eeg will be clear.

Tnx for your reply

embee wrote: »
    I had an EEG when I was around 11 or 12, I'd had seizures and epilepsy was suspected. They're not bad at all really, just a lot of wires stuck onto your head but it doesn't take too long and you can distract your child by singing to them or trying to soothe them if they're scared.

In my own case, epilepsy was confirmed but afaik most seizures in very young children are related to rapid rise in body temp... the majority of seizures will not lead to a diagnosis of epilepsy.

My wee girl hasn't had a febrile convulsion, never even had a temperature. She's never sick, not even a cold... she's only had 1 antibiotic since she was born in February 06. I'm afraid if she ever does get sick I won't know what to do! I actually find myself worrying that she DOESN'T get ill.... lol, I think it's just in any parents make up to worry for their kids.

Obviously folks, if your child suffers any sort of seizure, they need to see a GP as a matter of urgency.

Tnx Embee, hopefully he'll fall asleep will be doing my best to keep him up late and wake him early, tho the min the car starts he nods off :)

Touch wood your little girl is one of the lucky one's who won't suffer illnesses, fantastic that she's only had 1 antibiotic, quite amazing acutally.

Tnx for the support

• Advertisement

Aysha wrote: »
    Hi shazOO, My son had two febrile convultions attacks afew years ago, I was petrified on both occassions but doctors assured me that it was all to do with how fast the temprature rises and something he would grow out of, by the age of 5-6, if indeed it ever happened again and thankfully it didnt. He too had an ecg done and as the doctor suspected, he didnt have epilepsi.
    Incidently, the ecg was fine too,nothing to worry about , my little guy acually fell asleep.Try not to worry.

Hi Aysha, tnx for your reply. Its nice to get some feedback and be reassured by others. The doctors told me the exact same as you've said above, so touchwood it was a once off. Guess we'll know soon enuf, he's now due his MMR and has a temp with all the past injections, so fingers crossed.
    Tnx again

Advertisement