Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from UK/US

Options
  • 06-06-2009 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hey Guys just new to airsoft,living in dublin and was just considering buying a JG bar 10 sniper rifle,im aware that the legal limit in ireland is 328 fps or 1 joule.What i was just wondering was that if i ordered the jg bar 10 from the us or uk to save some money will it be taken by customs as the fps will be higher on the device than the legal limit? i was looking at a few on an american site and i think the fps is around 400 fps on the jg bar-10 but its a good price so i was wondering if il be able to just downgrade the device as soon as i get it then?thanks guys

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Please do not use the term weapon - airsoft devices are not weapons

You will have to have it downgraded before it enters the country.

The retailer you are buying from will probably do it for you for a price which will cut into any saving you were going to make add on customs charges and VAT and you wont be making much of a saving at all.

And if it malfunctions? You'll have to pay to send it back to be repaired

My advice , Buy Irish and cut out any hassle you could have.
    Lots of the retailers here sell the Bar10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

UCD dude wrote: »
    Hey Guys just new to airsoft,living in dublin and was just considering buying a JG bar 10 sniper rifle,im aware that the legal limit in ireland is 328 fps or 1 joule.What i was just wondering was that if i ordered the jg bar 10 from the us or uk to save some money will it be taken by customs as the fps will be higher on the weapon than the legal limit? i was looking at a few on an american site and i think the fps is around 400 fps on the jg bar-10 but its a good price so i was wondering if il be able to just downgrade the weapon as soon as i get it then?thanks guys

just a little tip there mate,an airsoft device is not a weapon,and as for customs as far as i know from reading other threads is really depends,but you should send customs a copy of the invoice and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Don't bother with the US, heres why.

It ships from Asia to the US, then here, the alternative is to buy from asia to here, or from asia to an Irish retailer to you. Middle men cost money.

The US have a lovely orange painted on tip, and glue the flash hider (in orange) on due to their laws, also, it won't be downgraded.

Advice, buy Irish first, if you decide to get into airsoft, and have a hankering for new or niche models, import is the other option, but the US? Items from the US have passed through many hands, and have had several margins of cost added to them, and will have practically circumnavigated the globe before they reach you!

Advertisement