Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating Prob

Options
  • 06-06-2009 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys. We're having a problem with our gas central heating. Rather than call an enginner the stubborn/control freak bill payer (my dad :rolleyes:) decided to put in a new fan and then when that didn't sort it put in a new pump. The problem is that once the rads heat up for a few mins there's a whistling/high pitched noise coming from the attic. The radiators have been bled - there was a fair amount of air in one of them but the rest were fine. Any ideas? We won't be able to get somebody in to look at it for a few weeks (on the sly of course :rolleyes:) so trying to find what could be wrong in the meantime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

That sounds like a relief valve blowing off. If it is then it suggests that the boiler is getting too hot for the level of circulation through the rads. It could be caused by either the boiler thermostat turned up too high with the pump setting too low, or a faulty thermostat. I'd suggest checking the pump to see if it's set to its highest setting (3). If that's OK then with the boiler switched off, try turning the thermostat knob full up and full down. You should hear definite clicks as the switch operates. No click, faulty stat. If you hear clicks, set the stat to 60 degrees and turn on the boiler. If after all that you still get a noise, maybe the relief valve setting is too low or the valve is faulty. In either case I wouldn't recommend fiddling with it -- that needs a professional with a pressure gauge!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks for that ART6. He was defintiely messing around with the temp and pressure settings when he was trying to sort it. Def going to call somebody in about it this week- I need my heat!! (i'm always cold :D). So can anyone recommend an engineer? I'm in Dublin 9 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

It is dangerous and will soon be illegal to attempt to repair a gas appliance (From 26th June 2009!!) if not properly qualified.
    Only use a Registered Gas Installer!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Very Very dangerous and stupid and no I am not being personel please please get a gas installer. I agree I think the safety valve has blown but would not advise you any more as I dont want anybody tinkering!

Advertisement