Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections - New Ross - Who have we elected ?

Options
  • 06-06-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Anyone know who has got through....................or is there a website with the up to date vote counts .?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

http://www.newrossstandard.ie/

Big surprise for me was Sean Reidy's poor showing in both town and county.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Thanks for that ,

Must have been the Green Party policies went against Sean.................I mean I want to continue burning coal and driving petrol cars for a while longer . He also ran a campaign about 'dirty money ' in politics . He had posters up all over the town , about it . People may have picked him up wrong .

Funnily enough , M Sheehan of Fianna Fail topped the poll , which is against the nationwide stats .................as Fianna Fail have lost a lot of seats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 curlynettie

new council:
    3 FF Kevin Dwyer, Michael Sheehan, Anthony Connick
    2 LAB Bobby Dunphy, Crowdle
    2 FG Victor Furness, Annette Larkin
    1 SF John Dwyer
    1 Green Niamh Fitzgibbon

= 9

old council:
    4 FF Kevin Dwyer, Michael Sheehan, Rosaleen Davit, Tomas Kavanagh
    (2 gone - Rosaleen + Thomas)
    2 LAB Ingrid O'Brien, Bobby Dunphy (1 gone - Ingrid)
    1 SF John Dwyer
    2 FG Ray Lawlor, Victor Furness (1 gone - Ray)
    =9

COUNTY COUNCIL - New Ross area
    Denis Kennedy, Martin Murphy, Larry O'Brien, Michael Sheehan
    gone - John Dwyer, Jimmy Curtis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its hard to believe that an unemployed car salesman gets elected because his surname is Connick.......................and as for Crowdle ...the people that gave him a no.1 they must have no clue about him...............Its incredible ......

Why did the people of New Ross go against the nationwide trend and go for 3 Fianna Fail ....................

Here we go again ....a Fianna Fail majority in the local chamber .........what a disaster !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Its hard to believe that an unemployed car salesman gets elected because his surname is Connick

What surprises you about that?

Cowen, Lenihan, Coughlan. Three names synonymoous with the crisis our country is in and all elected, not because of their ability as we have found to our cost, but because of who Daddy was. This is repeated time and again in Dáil Éireann. It's time Ireland moved away from the parish pump and dancing at the crossroads.

• Advertisement

I've kept the leaflets.. the amout of leaflets directly = who got elected!!
    I got 20 leaflets from FF, 10 from FG, 6 Labour, 2 SF and 1 or 2 from others.
    Michael Sheehan said he spent €2,200 on posters. Again, the more posters = who got elected.
    It seems people really are that stupid.....:confused:

Don't worry about FF majority in the chamber. Last time it was the 4 FF v all the others, so they didn't have a majority. I suspect the same will happen again.

Can't believe John Dwyer didn't get into the County Council! All day it was looking like he would.

No, I wouldn't be so sure about the groupings in the chamber.. in most councils they don't follow the govt "rule" at all.. hopefully they won't, it'll be much more fun then.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Is it any wonder Co.Wexford is such a backward, rundown unemployment blackspot when the people keep on supporting FF? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Sickening altogether. Still surprised about Reidy - he always gives me the impression of being a grumpy so-and-so but, to give him his due, he's done more for New Ross than the rest of them put together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

and as for Crowdle ...the people that gave him a no.1 they must have no clue about him...............Its incredible ......

Why? :confused:
    Why did the people of New Ross go against the nationwide trend and go for 3 Fianna Fail

Michael Sheehan had the best campaign going of any candidate imo and both him and Kevin Dwyer are very able guys. We'll have to see about Connick though I personally don't rate him even though I know him fairly well. Des Moloney or Ray Lawler would have more to contribute imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is it any wonder Co.Wexford is such a backward, rundown unemployment blackspot when the people keep on supporting FF? :confused:

Well said. A fair cry from when ya's had 2 Cabinet ministers. I'm a KK man myself but from comparing what Wexford got then (EPA HQ, Dept of Agri, major N11 and n25 upgrades) with now I don't think there is any comparison. Of all the sth east counties, we are all getting major new motorways passing through the counties. Wexford has just had the gorey bypass really and compares poorly with KK,Carlow,or Waterford as regards infrastructure/roads opening in the next year or so.

Advertisement