Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden shed felt roof

• 06-06-2009 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi
    I have an old shed in my back garden and over the past month the felt has started to come off - in fairly substantial lumps.
    It is the standard little garden shed of about 6' by 10' and while it is fairly old it still does the trick except now the roof is leaking.
    Is it worth replacing the roof (or the felt) or would it be just better to buy a new one.
    If repair is a recommended option where can i get the necessary material as Woodies does not seem to have the felt etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Repair is simple and cheaper than a new shed. Strip off the old stuff so you can check and repair any rotten timber first. You'll need to take of the facias on the front and back too because the felt wraps behind it .

You need a roll of "mineral felt". I have seen it in Woodies before but any half-decent builder's provider will stock it at much cheaper prices (or bigger roll @ same price). 1 roll should be enough for the average shed.

You'll also need something to fix it to the roof. You can use galvanised felt nails or stick it down with bitumous mastic or do both.

Nailing is a common method used on garden sheds 'cause it's cheap but obviously this puts holes through your felt. Mastic is better because it doesn't punch holes but is more expensive and can be messy. Personally I'd do both, paint a liberal coating of mastic onto the underside of the felt along the edge then nail through it. Nails keep everything secure in case the felt curls up in a few years and the mastic seals the nails holes.

Whatever method you use, work from the bottom up on both sides and finish off with a single strip of felt over the ridge. Overlap all joints by at least 150mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

I x roll mineral felt and 1 x bag galv felt nails = approx 36 euro at builders suppliers.
    10 metre roll more than enough.

Just did mine last week and dry after yesterday, only nailed.
    2 strips to the edge and one strip in the middle ( gives you a large overlap)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Hector Holmes

thanks a million for the advice - it is exactly what i was looking for. i am going to give the roof a go over the coming week and will let you know how i get on.
    I am only a novice using boards but am very impressed with the responses i have had to date.
    thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Just to expand on the good answers already, full name for this product is: "green mineral felt" made by Irish Roofing Felts. I had difficulty getting a roll of this the last time I needed it but you could use a roll of Paralon torch on felt (cap sheet) as an alternative- it's more expensive but will last a lot longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Hector Holmes

Been away all summer so I only got around to doing the garden shed today and am now basking in the warm afterglow of a successful DIY project.
    It worked exactly as you guys suggested so thanks for the advice. Now that I mastered the weather proofing of my garden shed do you think that boat building would be too ambitious?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Dunno, maybe a dug out canoe might be a good one to start with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭u2thepale

Hi ,

Know this thread is a few months old but am looking to fix up our auld barna shed as the roof has been leaking of late , don't think a patch job will do the job ..

Looks like the points given above are spot on & tried and tested ...
    just wondering would It be possible to felt over the existing felt or is that a no no, obviously by not taking up the original cracked felt i wo'nt be able to see the condition of the wood below but would give me that extra layer of protection ...

Cheers

Advertisement