Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/UPC Cable broadband in navan?

Options
  • 06-06-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭

Heya

I have had constant disconnects from the internet with DSL and apparently my phone line is to blame.

So im wondering can i get NTL cable bb in navan and if so does anyone have it?

Is it good speeds? (im looking at the 10mb)

Connected all the the time?

etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I doubt it TBH, have you put in the area on the upc site to check what's available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

Yea i did and it says i can have broadband,tv etc

But i heard that can be unreliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you're in johnstown then definitely, but also some parts of navan as well have upc broadband. pretty much if you are wired for telly off upc/ntl/chorus then you're all set as i believe they have everywhere in the navan area that they supply tv to enabled for broadband as well.

speedwise it can be up and down and i've lost my connection (afaik) 4 times for a few hours each time, but overall the broadband is good, although speed can vary quite wildly (where I am at least) depending on the time of day.

it's gone down to as low as 4-5mbps at times, although mostly it's anywhere between 10-20mbps.

right now this is what I'm getting:

490202761.png

at 7:40am this morning though, I was getting this:

489717359.png

the guy who installs locally is a lovely bloke who does a good job, so that's a bonus.

i'm still not overjoyed with their support line, but maybe that's just me, plenty of people recently seem to be happy with them so maybe they've improved since their nthell days.

my advice is, they'll give you the best broadband you can get in the area and it's due to get a lot faster by the end of this year (60mbps or even 120mbps if your wallet can handle it) and if you're having broadband problems now you probably don't have a huge amount to lose.

i moved to them because i was having some problems with BT (non-technical) and overall i'd have to say although I'm not doing cartwheels out of excitement just yet, i'm a much happier customer with UPC than I was with BT, even if i don't want to say it (due to being burned several times previously).

vibe666 wrote: »
    speedwise it can be up and down and i've lost my connection (afaik) 4 times for a few hours each time,

4 times since you had it or a week/day?

Im up in flowerhill by the swimming pool and have sky atm but i think when we moved in there was a chours box lying around

andy125 wrote: »
    4 times since you had it or a week/day?
    lol, just 4 times since i've had it (november 16th 2008)

i think that was mostly down to it being new in my area and having to keep doing upgrades on the back end as new people signed up to keep up with demand (although that's just guess work on my part).

twice it was down from like friday afternoon till saturday morning, the other times it was a few hours.

here's another speed test from this morning and i'm torrenting at around 250kB/s too! :)

490353972.png

ping is always very good too (in case you're a gamer).

• Advertisement

Well i rang them a few weeks ago and they said i could not get the broadband,

So i told them to let me know when the upgrade my area,

I get a call from the a week later saying the my area has actually been updated,

So i order the 10mb and phone and they come out set it all up
    The techy says that the signal was too low and that the cable outside would have to be replaced and a guy would come out monday and do that

So Wednesday i call them and tell them no one has come out to change the cable

Im now told that i can not in fact get the broadband

Luckily i didn't sign a contract or cancel perlico

But my problem is till here in that i still get constant disconnects from the dsl broadband with both BT and perlico, i have tried everything that i can think of, the only solution now that i cant get cable broadband is to rewire the phone line in the house

Or is there anything else im missing?

Is Digiweb metro any good and would it be ok for online gaming?

andy125 wrote: »
    Is Digiweb metro any good and would it be ok for online gaming?
    not sure about the online gaming, but it's okay fo everything else from what i've heard.

i was actually going to go for that before ntl enabled the broadband in my area, but i didn't have a clear line of sight to their wireless mast so i couldn't get it.
    you might have more luck though, they just send someone out to do a quick survey before they do anything else.

worth a shot anyways and you can do what you did with ntl and just order it without cancelling your current DSL until you know it works for you and if it's not any good, just throw it back at them and cancel.

Advertisement