Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Weight

Options
  • 06-06-2009 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Since just before the exams, I seem to be losing weight like crazy. I've lost nearly six pounds in a week and my mam says it used to happen her during her exams as well. I'm eating correctly, 3 square meals a day, but the exams just seems to be taking it off. This happening anyone else, weight either going up or down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

BlueSpiral wrote: »
    Since just before the exams, I seem to be losing weight like crazy. I've lost nearly six pounds in a week and my mam says it used to happen her during her exams as well. I'm eating correctly, 3 square meals a day, but the exams just seems to be taking it off. This happening anyone else, weight either going up or down?

3 square meals a day was considered eating correctly sometime in the early 1800s.....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

u lose ur weight i lose my hair we all have our ways of dealing with stress .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Nope, I've stayed the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I put a small bit of weight on and lost loads of hair when I did mine. Don't worry, I'm skinny and my hair is shiny and lustrous now! You'll go back to normal after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

3 square meals a day was considered eating correctly sometime in the early 1800s.....

No need for sarcasm...

I find that during times of stress, if you're working harder than normal, possibly not sleeping as much as you usually might etc can affect your body in many ways. One being even if you're eating your regular amount, your body's working harder so burning up more. Make sure you're eating lots of fruit and veg and proteins/iron etc.. Lots of liquid too, water/juice.
    It should balance out when these exams are over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Is 5 small circular meals the norm now then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I hope not. There's only so many bagels and pancakes I can stand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

It's the total opposite story for me.
    Since September I've gained well over a stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

lol...well my friend is going through the same thing she lost like a stone before the exams so your not alone anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

actually int he last few weeks i seem to be eating all round me!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Lost about 3 pounds during the pres but put them back on and then some since, hopefully I'll lose again now and stop eating like a maniac once the exams are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've been the same weight for the last 4 years, eat anything or nothing - 64kgs - That's not changing anytime soon either by the looks of things :D

Stress? What stress!! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Since September I've been putting on weight but in the last couple of weeks I've lost quite a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭claudtreacy

haha im only doin the JC and ive gained like a stone over the past two weeks.
    Binge much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I'm eating less than I would if I had school, but more than I would over summer/Christmas holidays, over summer/Christmas I pretty much forget to eat, I rarely ever feel very hungry so there'd be days I'd eat nothing but dinner and forget about it (Though generally I try and make myself eat more).

With the exams I'm waking up early, making sure I get breakfast each morning and actually feel hungrier throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

With an active mind you burn at least 20 cal/hour more than doing same activities with inactive mind - I know your mind is always in some state of activity, but hope you know what I mean. Add that you're probably sleeping less. So if you eat the same as normal during exam times it makes sense that you would lose loads of weight ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Studying burns off a lot of weight, as does anxiety. It'll return, don't worry! I remember it being great for the ould Debs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

I've gained like a stone or two since Christmas due to pure laziness; once summer hits I'll feel a huge mental weight lifted and exercise'll regain my previous level of fitness :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Remember everybody, we're scientists.

W != m :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I've actually gained weight thank God, up to 11 stone 4 pounds, now over the 2 months to get up to 12 stone of muscle.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Davidius wrote: »
    Remember everybody, we're scientists.

W != m :pac:
    W = mg though, so unless people are also changing their altitude and location, it's fair enough to say an increase in mass has a corresponding increase in weight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hatethat

I'm loosing weight too...I think its something to do with not eating breakfast then having to go for so long before lunch. I cant eat that early in the morning tho. It makes me feel ill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I'm eating breakfast for the first time in years! mm I had scrambled eggs the other day. normally I wouldn't be able to eat that early or that soon when I get up but I'm getting up at around 5 to study so I'm ok to eat by then. definitely haven't lost any weight anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

awh i wish i was loosing over the exams, atleast that way something good would come out of all the stress!:p
    im gaining because im sitting all day, bottle of boost per exam, and at the risk of sounding "all OMG" boost has 113 kcal per bottle, so 226kcal a day for sitting on my arse for the day isnt good:pac:
    and studys taking up all my time and energy, havn't been running in like 3 weeks which i normally did regularly.

stupid exams:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I should lock this thread out of jealousy -_-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Weigh yourself at the same time to compare (after your first pee in the morning) and a few weeks later at the same time.) otherwise you havent lost/gained.

Advertisement