Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hate for Obama

Options
  • 06-06-2009 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Browsing the news and reading comments has become a worrying affair recently, I mean I found it a little amusing at first, then a tad surprising, now its just downright scary. The comments from the anti-Obama crowd seem to be one part fair critique 10 parts sheer hatred for the man.

I cannot imagine truly believing that every news source in the world has a liberal agenda/bias with the exception one certain news outlet.. it beggers belief how twisted that kind of logic is.. I suppose you have to laugh it off but its scary how many times that one line is repeated in comment after comment mixed in with this communist/social paranoia and just pure KKK style hate.

These people need to take a holiday to Sweden.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think you're just noticing the other side of the coin. The sheer hatred for Bush/Cheney is out there as well, just such things seem less obvious if it's directed against someone other than 'your' man.

Absolutely, there are some people who can't give Obama a shred of credit, who won't even call him by his name. They are petty, spiteful, often xenophobic, and the sort of people who really do give Americans a bad name.

But such people exist on the farther left as well, who are just as unlikely to give any rational credit or analysis at all for a Conservative such as Bush or even a moderate like McCain. Sadly, such people on both ends of the spectrum seem to have disproportionate amounts of publicity or weight, and are both an endemic problem with, and continuing cause of, the ongoing schism in the American two-party system.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

I think you're just noticing the other side of the coin. The sheer hatred for Bush/Cheney is out there as well, just such things seem less obvious if it's directed against someone other than 'your' man.

Absolutely, there are some people who can't give Obama a shred of credit, who won't even call him by his name. They are petty, spiteful, often xenophobic, and the sort of people who really do give Americans a bad name.

But such people exist on the farther left as well, who are just as unlikely to give any rational credit or analysis at all for a Conservative such as Bush or even a moderate like McCain. Sadly, such people on both ends of the spectrum seem to have disproportionate amounts of publicity or weight, and are both an endemic problem with, and continuing cause of, the ongoing schism in the American two-party system.

NTM

I disagree.. I think the Bush Cheney Berlesconi Putin Brown etc haters are evenly spread but this is a new mix, more mirth

I think the Bush Cheney Berlesconi Putin Brown etc haters are evenly spread but this is a new mix, more mirth

For every rabid hater on FreeRepublic, there's a rabid hater on Democraticunderground. Dislike for Bush was evenly spread, yes, but I presume you're talking about the unreconcilable hatred where simply presenting the possibility that the 'other guy' might be right on something results in an automatic gainsaying.

NTM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

There will always be haters on both sides but when a major media outlet is part of this group then this is very worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Ive only really started following US politics in recent times but the sheer level of partisanship and often downright hatred between each side has shocked me.

Looking into it I know it has always been there but in the last few years (probably down to a number of key polarising events) it just seems to have gotten much much worse (is that really the case or has it always been this bad?).

I dont think you can distinguish between the sides Jonny, as ManicMoran said its just the other side of the coin and now your noticing the level of irrational hatred because you dont agree with it (Id wager your an Obama fan or would've at least voted for him?).

Personally I think either of McCain or Obama would've been fine choices for President and both would've done pretty similar jobs but listening to people you could've sowrn one was the devil incarnate and the other the second coming of Christ (depending on which side you listen too). Some people really need to cop on to themselves and realise "There are few things wholly evil or wholly good".

South Park actually did quite a good episode on this the night after the results cam out. You had the Democrats and the Republicans going crazy that now everything is going to change and be different and then the day after they realise nothing has changed at all:D Quite funny and really hits home imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ive only really started following US politics in recent times but the sheer level of partisanship and often downright hatred between each side has shocked me.
    It doesn't take much reading to realize its the same story in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Overheal wrote: »
    It doesn't take much reading to realize its the same story in Ireland.

See I dont think thats the case at all. I mean people are pretty up in arms over FF now for obvious reasons but aside from that I dont see the level of hatred that seems to be present in US politics. Also a lot of people calling for Fianna Fail blood voted them in and its quite reasonable to believe that in the future they will vote for them again.

There very different systems. Dont get me wrong I think US politics is far superior to Irish politics I just feel the level of partisanship and hatred present in the US is one problem we dont have over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Obama got what, 52% of the popular vote? And, in fairness, a huge number of his supporters where stark raving lunatics. Surely it's a logical conclusion to draw that there would be equally passionate people in the US, comprising the other 48% of the electorate.

There were many scathing critiques of the Bush Administration. They were responsible for a lot of very unpopular stuff. Obama was touted as some sort of modern age messiah. Thus far, he has failed to live up to the outrageously high expectations many people put upon him. He has also been the source of many unpopular decisions in the US, such as various nationalisations of corporations/bank bail-outs, in what is supposed to be the most free and democratic country in the world. Many Republicans would have believed quite strongly that those corporations should have been allowed to fail.

Politics by it's very nature is highly divisive, with people subscribing to beliefs that can be the 100% inverse of someone elses.

However, OP, your problem seems to lie with, as Manic Moran says, not being able to accept criticism of "your guy", where you may have been quite quick to jump on the anti-Bush bandwagon.

So, essentially, I hereby declare my first law of Politics:
    For every belief, there is an equal and opposite belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Where Bush had Fox, Obama has MSNBC. For every Bill O'Reilly theres a Keith Olbermann.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Exactly.

• Advertisement

In fairness O'reilly is a full out liar. That guy is a shameful parody of himself.

Olberman i can understand why he gets under the nose of people but I dont think you can call him a liar. Biased probably but full out psycho liar like O'Reilly..no.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

There will always be the hateful fringe, no matter the office holder, party, or country. That's why Kevlar was invented. I hear it comes in fashionable suits now?

Colbert had a very nice ACU suit going last week.

80671ec3-a36d-4031-8d44-b7586b918d16.jpg

NTM

Saw that on hulu :) but the lighting in that photo is terrible. Odjerno is a salt of the Earth white and he looks like Grell the Robot from Wormhole X-Treme

I ****ing want that suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

KerranJast wrote: »
    Where Bush had Fox, Obama has MSNBC. For every Bill O'Reilly theres a Keith Olbermann.

You can live with it if it was just the NBC umbrella [MSNBC,CNBC,etc] but when its also CBS, ABC, CNN,etc is a major problem. This is where people have the problems with Obama. The God worship by his so-called enlightened supporters and the lack of objectivity on the part of the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

So it's good to follow everything about the last administration? Good stuff.

Well you will require something to compare against, won't you. Its not nearly as useful to compare the current president to a panel of Drywall. If the President were in fact a panel of walling, it might prove to be a valuable comparison. However he's not. He's the president. Comparing any president to past presidents seems perfectly reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Well you will require something to compare against, won't you. Its not nearly as useful to compare the current president to a panel of Drywall. If the President were in fact a panel of walling, it might prove to be a valuable comparison. However he's not. He's the president. Comparing any president to past presidents seems perfectly reasonable.

Yes but comparing him to Bush ffs? Even though I dislike most of his politics I was hoping there'd be no need to ever compare him to Bush.
    Bad enough comparing Obama to Bush, but comparing the news networks to some church nuts doesn't really paint the news networks in too positive a light.

According to Rasmussen today, his approval index is now at his lowest, at -2, with more people strongly disapproving of him than strongly approving. (Overall, however, he's got more people 'approve' than 'disapprove')

Newsweek had an article this week pointing out that his personal approval rating is far higher than his policy approval rating, a situation which is generally untenable for long. He's got to get some good things done soon.

NTM

• Advertisement

Like what, start a war?

IMO Obama has been trying to do too much, but it was always the way that the public wanted him to cure all of their countries ills in a matter of weeks.

Give the guy some time ffs. What did bush do in the first 9 months. Sweet **** all..... 9/11 changed all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,419 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

from CNBC
    newsh.jpg:rolleyes:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

funniest comment ive seen today..I reckon he'd probably be a good slab of drywall..

jank wrote: »
    Give the guy some time ffs. What did bush do in the first 9 months. Sweet **** all..... 9/11 changed all that.

Ah shur he was working on the patriot act..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

It isnt hatred for president Obama. I think that the realisation has finally set in that nobody could ever live up to the level of hype that abounded at the time of his election. He's not superman.

It was practically impossible for him not to become president once he got the democratic nomination. This was simply because there was such opposition to the bush administration at the time. He couldnt possibly have lost. It looks as if the republican party is in some disarray at the moment and this may almost guarantee him a second term.

orourkeda wrote: »
    It isnt hatred for president Obama. I think that the realisation has finally set in that nobody could ever live up to the level of hype that abounded at the time of his election. He's not superman.

It was practically impossible for him not to become president once he got the democratic nomination. This was simply because there was such opposition to the bush administration at the time. He couldnt possibly have lost. It looks as if the republican party is in some disarray at the moment and this may almost guarantee him a second term.

Unless there is a complete turnaround in the economy by then a second term is not guaranteed. He'll only be able to keep crying "We inherited this mess" for so long before people wake up, shake off the God-worship for him and realize that he did inherit it but he made it alot worse.

God damn it.

I was actually going to do this video myself after I saw his acceptance speech, but someone beat me to it.

Unless there is a complete turnaround in the economy by then a second term is not guaranteed.

Of course, the Republicans could always screw up a good thing and propose a complete tool as their nominee...

NTM

Of course, the Republicans could always screw up a good thing and propose a complete tool as their nominee...

NTM

The Democrats have a complete tool in the White House and tools running the House and Senate.

People on here need to remember that before popping off about anybody without a D beside their names.

• Advertisement

Eh... John Kerry. Need I say more? An election the Dems might have easily won, had they picked their nominee better.

Advertisement